white smoke while car is sitting on idle 95 gt5.0

vicma762004

New Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
while i was sitting waiting for my order at a drive thru i noticed a lot of white smoke. the smoke was enough to make me shut the car down to get rid of it.
 

Fets

Post Whore
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
11,013
Reaction score
2
Mine has white smoke too when I start it up, well only when its cold out... As long as its not blue smoke or something its fine I think?? lol sorry not much help
 

SvtBlack95

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
2,594
Reaction score
1
white smoke could be antifreeze..... did it have a sweet smell to it ??? if so you might have an antifreeze leak thats getting in your oil
 
SvtBlack95 said:
white smoke could be antifreeze..... did it have a sweet smell to it ??? if so you might have an antifreeze leak thats getting in your oil

thats very possible...

but on cold starts its normal...

so if you had recently started the car and the motor was cold then its no biggy and goes away once the motor warms up
 

ripper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
3,323
Reaction score
0
Was it cold out? If so its condensation in the engine. In the summer you will see water come out the tailpipe at times. Its normal no worries. Man it feels good being able to say that to someone. LOL. Usually bad news.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Stevo said:
Was it cold out? If so its condensation in the engine. In the summer you will see water come out the tailpipe at times. Its normal no worries. Man it feels good being able to say that to someone. LOL. Usually bad news.

Exactly, white SMOKE would mean your car is running lean as hell. But white STEAM is nothing, just water that is in the exhaust pipes that is now being turned into steam. It only happens on a cold start because your pipes are cold, so the water sites.

Black smoke - Running really rich
White smoke - Running really lean
Blue smoke - Burning some oil
White steam - burning water and or antifreeze
 

vicma762004

New Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
the car was warm and it was a hot day outside, i have been checking the oil every so many hours just paranoid lol.
the car is running fine but thats white smoke gave me a scare. do you think not having cats has anything to do with the white smoke?
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
That is possible, and at startup your car should smell rich due to the straight pipes.
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
vicma762004 said:
the car was warm and it was a hot day outside, i have been checking the oil every so many hours just paranoid lol.
the car is running fine but thats white smoke gave me a scare. do you think not having cats has anything to do with the white smoke?

Keep and eye on your coolant levels. Better yet, start the car when cold with the radiator cap off and let it warm up like that at idle. IF it bubbles excessively (not flows...BUBBLES), you may have a blown headgasket. Hot car and hot day you shouldn't have SHIT that you can see coming out of the pipes. Did the "smoke" dissipate quickly (meaning it was steam) or did it look like you were fogging for mosquitos....if it was the latter, you're consuming oil somewhere.
 

19mustang95

Legend
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
6,137
Reaction score
2
Midnight_Cobra said:
That is possible, and at startup your car should smell rich due to the straight pipes.
i have straight pipes and it smells rich all the time. :hammer:
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
74,878
Messages
1,452,509
Members
13,567
Latest member
Mustangequiped

Members online

Top