white smoke while car is sitting on idle 95 gt5.0

vicma762004

Reaction score
while i was sitting waiting for my order at a drive thru i noticed a lot of white smoke. the smoke was enough to make me shut the car down to get rid of it.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mine has white smoke too when I start it up, well only when its cold out... As long as its not blue smoke or something its fine I think?? lol sorry not much help

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
white smoke could be antifreeze..... did it have a sweet smell to it ??? if so you might have an antifreeze leak thats getting in your oil

G

GREG@SN95

SvtBlack95 said:
white smoke could be antifreeze..... did it have a sweet smell to it ??? if so you might have an antifreeze leak thats getting in your oil

thats very possible...

but on cold starts its normal...

so if you had recently started the car and the motor was cold then its no biggy and goes away once the motor warms up

ripper

Reaction score
Was it cold out? If so its condensation in the engine. In the summer you will see water come out the tailpipe at times. Its normal no worries. Man it feels good being able to say that to someone. LOL. Usually bad news.

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Was it cold out? If so its condensation in the engine. In the summer you will see water come out the tailpipe at times. Its normal no worries. Man it feels good being able to say that to someone. LOL. Usually bad news.

Exactly, white SMOKE would mean your car is running lean as hell. But white STEAM is nothing, just water that is in the exhaust pipes that is now being turned into steam. It only happens on a cold start because your pipes are cold, so the water sites.

Black smoke - Running really rich
White smoke - Running really lean
Blue smoke - Burning some oil
White steam - burning water and or antifreeze

OP
OP
V

vicma762004

Reaction score
the car was warm and it was a hot day outside, i have been checking the oil every so many hours just paranoid lol.
the car is running fine but thats white smoke gave me a scare. do you think not having cats has anything to do with the white smoke?

Reaction score
That is possible, and at startup your car should smell rich due to the straight pipes.

ryclef331

Reaction score
vicma762004 said:
the car was warm and it was a hot day outside, i have been checking the oil every so many hours just paranoid lol.
the car is running fine but thats white smoke gave me a scare. do you think not having cats has anything to do with the white smoke?

Keep and eye on your coolant levels. Better yet, start the car when cold with the radiator cap off and let it warm up like that at idle. IF it bubbles excessively (not flows...BUBBLES), you may have a blown headgasket. Hot car and hot day you shouldn't have SHIT that you can see coming out of the pipes. Did the "smoke" dissipate quickly (meaning it was steam) or did it look like you were fogging for mosquitos....if it was the latter, you're consuming oil somewhere.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:
That is possible, and at startup your car should smell rich due to the straight pipes.
i have straight pipes and it smells rich all the time. :hammer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online