White's '95 GT "Unicorn"

weendoggy

Reaction score
@weendoggy - Looking like I’m going down the “cure fuel starvation” rabbit hole with you. Apparently, I wasn’t driving my car hard enough or with low enough fuel, to notice this before.

What do you think?

Well, you have such a short span of power loss compared to a big sweeper, but the sound/feeling is similar. Mine just quit until it got fuel again. At Laguna Seca last year I was pulling hard T5 going uphill and stopped so much when it got fuel I had a huge backfire. I hope to find out this weekend at Thunderhill. At least I'll be ready for it if it does and make sure nobody is near me. o_O

weendoggy

Reaction score
Well, you have such a short span of power loss compared to a big sweeper, but the sound/feeling is similar. Mine just quit until it got fuel again. At Laguna Seca last year I was pulling hard T5 going uphill and stopped so much when it got fuel I had a huge backfire. I hope to find out this weekend at Thunderhill. At least I'll be ready for it if it does and make sure nobody is near me. o_O
Got to thinking (bad sign) and you're running the Holley HP system, so, you can run a datalog and find out what fuel pressure you have during those times, IF you have a transducer connected to the system. If not, get one, very useful. I have one on my Cobra and nice to see what's happening. This way, you can purposely run the tank down and do a test during your run and I'll bet you see the FP drop like a rock!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Actually, I do log fuel pressure but was not at the time the stutter occured.
If the transducer is hooked to the HP setup, it'll log it no matter what. You just pull the datalog file and select Sensors, if you don't have a custom one. I'd start the datalog prior to your run and then shut it off after you get through the lights/timer. No hurry, just capture your log. When you overlay the datalog to the tune, you'll see where it is, and/or just the log file will show the pressure drop. Also, mine only does it with 1/2 tank or less so be sure to not have enough fuel, or, do it both ways. Yeah, that's the ticket! :cool:

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If the transducer is hooked to the HP setup, it'll log it no matter what. You just pull the datalog file and select Sensors, if you don't have a custom one. I'd start the datalog prior to your run and then shut it off after you get through the lights/timer. No hurry, just capture your log. When you overlay the datalog to the tune, you'll see where it is, and/or just the log file will show the pressure drop. Also, mine only does it with 1/2 tank or less so be sure to not have enough fuel, or, do it both ways. Yeah, that's the ticket! :cool:

Thanks for the info

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

Did some reading over the weekend and made an adjustment to the learn table in an attempt to solve a few issues. Noticed a few times last week that the car was idling very rich and I'd been experiencing low speed stall issues. Looking back, the HP was adding 100% fuel at all RPM/kPa levels and the car was essentially choking itself out when airflow demand was low. So, I revised values to 0% below 1000 rpms and 15% for the remainder of the table. Runs like a champ. The only lingering issue is finding the IAC settings to keep the idle a little higher coming off throttle when coasting to a stop. It still stalls occasionally but I'll accept that for now.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Did some reading over the weekend and made an adjustment to the learn table in an attempt to solve a few issues. Noticed a few times last week that the car was idling very rich and I'd been experiencing low speed stall issues. Looking back, the HP was adding 100% fuel at all RPM/kPa levels and the car was essentially choking itself out when airflow demand was low. So, I revised values to 0% below 1000 rpms and 15% for the remainder of the table. Runs like a champ. The only lingering issue is finding the IAC settings to keep the idle a little higher coming off throttle when coasting to a stop. It still stalls occasionally but I'll accept that for now.
Good, but keep in mind the Learn Parameter settings is you setting how much you want the "learn" to adjust. So, if it's up to 100%, it's going to make those adjustments based upon your AF ratio and Base Fuel. The less % you allow, the less it will adjust to so it could still be either too rich/lean depending on where it's making its changes. Kind of a balancing act, but you get the picture. My rule-of-thumb is if I can keep my LT to show anythng below/above 10% adjustments. That tells me I'm really close. My settings are 25% for both CLP & LP, but that's based on doing Open Loop testing to get really close. If you want to test your theory, put it in OL and do some base driving. That'll tell you how close you really are. I learned at the Holley class as well as other good tuners to set the base idle in OL to really know what the engine wants, then go from there. If you have timing adjustability, that can play a role as well.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
@weendoggy

That being said, my CL table is still set to 100%. I drove the car to work today so, would you suggest that I drive home in open loop or adjust the table to reflect the LT until I have some free time to test theories?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It thought when the holley data logged it did it for all the sensors? At least that has been my experience.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I remember being able to set up a small menu bar of the specific sensors that I wanted to see for the log to make it easy, but that the data from all the sensors was available to put in that little menu bar either before or after the run? I have not messed with it for so long that I might be as up to date on this as I am the nfl.

weendoggy

Reaction score
@weendoggy

That being said, my CL table is still set to 100%. I drove the car to work today so, would you suggest that I drive home in open loop or adjust the table to reflect the LT until I have some free time to test theories?
I'd save the tune as "before_adjustment" or something you want. This will save the tune, log, LT and all else. Then, clear the LT, save that one as "after_adjustment", and drive in CL home (hopefully a good drive time) and then you and compare the two LT's. This will tell show you any HUGE differences between the two, given nothing else has changed and the driving style is hopefully the same/equal. IOW, try to be consistant between the two drives. If they both look equally the same, and it drives like crap, find out where the LT is gaining/losing fuel to meet your needs. You can try OL, but be aware that if it's way off, one way or the other, it'll run like crap too!

If you data log the drive, overlay to see how any accel. input effects the tune. That's a bugger sometimes to figure out, and should really be done AFTER a good base tune is in. Base tune is just basic driving under steady conditions. Any accel/decel does not learn. When doing accel. tuning, I like to clear the LT, save the tune as "accel_tune" run the log and drive time, then save that file and log in a folder so any other driving doesn't effect the LT. More work, but better outcome.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I remember being able to set up a small menu bar of the specific sensors that I wanted to see for the log to make it easy, but that the data from all the sensors was available to put in that little menu bar either before or after the run? I have not messed with it for so long that I might be as up to date on this as I am the nfl.
Yes, you can create a custom or modify an existing menu selection to get what ever you want. I take a lot of unneeded stuff from a couple and put what I want in an order I like for my tired eyes to follow and this way I get exactly what I'm looking for. I also split my data log screen to keep the AF and Target AF separate from all the other sensors when viewing.

NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, SCCA, NASA (double meaning), aren't they all the same? Oh man, what am I missing? o_O

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Decided to scrub the fuel tank cover and then hit it with a fresh coat of paint. It won’t last more than a few years but that’s ok.

IMG_6269.jpeg

While the paint was drying, I started to clean the undercarriage up some.

IMG_6261.jpeg
IMG_6262.jpeg

Not the greatest clean up job but I’m content for now.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
My headlight panel was cracked and had been sagging. The headlight beams were pretty much aimed at the ground and it was time to install the new one. Didn’t take many pictures but I did manage to knock a chunk of my knuckle off and break the headlight adjuster post off the RH right.

F***

IMG_6294.jpeg
70317961110__0CC097C2-59AD-4800-B8A0-9C411ED80EDF.jpeg
70317835363__8F3F78AB-573E-4105-987B-FD19B69A7B75.jpeg

70317846537__3A7A02B5-3F64-473E-8B42-923C178C6B2F.jpeg

70317863710__AE14C1FE-7D52-4EF7-B108-B69FCC840477.jpeg

Cleaned the knuckle wound up, fumed about the headlight for a few minutes, had a dumb idea and went back to work. I drilled through broken post and dropped a butt connector in the hole. If it works, it ain’t stupid.

70317991530__69A06D3C-9BA1-432E-8C1F-06146E991B1C.jpeg

70317995536__EEE0FD48-FFBB-459A-B930-DCAECD26422A.jpeg

IMG_6272.jpeg

Made sure all the lights worked and then put the fuel tank back in.

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Initially, I was going to modify them test fit my new Saleen bumper cover today but my 3:30 appointment moved up to 1:30 so time was cut short.

IMG_6295.jpeg

At least the front end is aligned properly now, even though it’s a face only I could love.

IMG_6270.jpeg

Leak checked the fuel system, checked to make sure all the lights worked and set out for a datalog/sell mufflers cruise.
70318808754__E8A2518F-B1C4-48A5-B991-ECA587D35DC2.jpeg

Got brake dust?

IMG_6257.jpeg
IMG_6290.jpegIMG_6291.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online