Who all has put lowering kit on stock shocks/struts?

mattmathis

Reaction score
I'm wanting to hear from people who have done this, and what kind of experience they had with it.

I just had my suspension checked by the ford place and they said everything was in good shape. I know it's best to go ahead and do the new shocks and struts but. I don't drive the car a whole lot and I definitely am not hard on it. It's a 94 GT, and I bought it from 1 owner in 98 and have babied it ever since.

Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I was in there replacing the springs to lower it I would not leave the stock strut in myself. Its going to be going out sooner or later save yourself the time and money in the future and do it now.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I personally spent the money on the shocks before the springs.. haha. Id say replace them. After all it is almost a 20 year old car..

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I like saving as much money as I can so I'll go against the popular opinion and say that if they feel fine, you should be good.
Just don't go dropping the car 2" or so because then you'll definitely need new shocks/struts to compensate for the new spring rate.

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys! I knew it was a loaded question, but I was hoping to hear from some that had tried it. On one hand I want to save up and do it all, but on the other I have had people tell me it's not necessary and I really need every penny I can save. lol

That being said, what are some of the springs that would work better on stock shocks struts? h&r race don't lower really extreme do they?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got my son a set of FRPP B springs for his 98gt. Progressive rate and only lower the car about 1".
We installed them and used his stock shocks and struts. Still no problems for 3 years and no need for CC plates and no complaints about a harsh ride.

!.5" drop is usually the point where you'll need CC plates.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I got my son a set of FRPP B springs for his 98gt. Progressive rate and only lower the car about 1".
We installed them and used his stock shocks and struts. Still no problems for 3 years and no need for CC plates and no complaints about a harsh ride.

CC do you have any shots of his car with the B springs? Hows ground clearance?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Did my 1.5 drop on stock shocks, it rides ok and shocks are in my near future but it works. Don't let my experience influence you tho, I'd have new ones now if I wasn't a cheap bastard

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
His, mine and my dad's lightning
Not trying to hijack, but I love that stance, what size are his wheels?

TTT
I would agree with the general consensus. Granted your stock pieces are fine now, but I would replace them either way.
Considering age, it's going to have to happen eventually, I'd much rather do it all at once and be set for years to come.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but I love that stance, what size are his wheels?

TTT
I would agree with the general consensus. Granted your stock pieces are fine now, but I would replace them either way.
Considering age, it's going to have to happen eventually, I'd much rather do it all at once and be set for years to come.

both cars have 17" wheels. I think his tires are 245-45-17, mine are 255-40-17.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
If I was in there replacing the springs to lower it I would not leave the stock strut in myself. Its going to be going out sooner or later save yourself the time and money in the future and do it now.

Agreed

I personally spent the money on the shocks before the springs.. haha. Id say replace them. After all it is almost a 20 year old car..

Yeah definitely agree

Well I like saving as much money as I can so I'll go against the popular opinion and say that if they feel fine, you should be good.
Just don't go dropping the car 2" or so because then you'll definitely need new shocks/struts to compensate for the new spring rate.

for crying out loud even the 98's are nearing the 17 yr mark chances are no one changed them before you unless you bought the car off some sort of enthusiast

it won't ride harsh at all it'll be nice and cushy haha

I'm slammed and somehow my alignment was spot on.

How ?? I have no idea :) I lucked out for once.

Did my 1.5 drop on stock shocks, it rides ok and shocks are in my near future but it works. Don't let my experience influence you tho, I'd have new ones now if I wasn't a cheap bastard

Bilstein take offs.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Youll be fine. I mean the worst thing that can happen is the ride will be bouncy. Then it's just a simple shock/strut swap so it's no big deal if you have to take it back apart. I put Eibach Sportlines on my 130k mile stock struts and the car rode pretty good. The Tokico's I replaced them with rode better, but not an astronomical amount better.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
for crying out loud even the 98's are nearing the 17 yr mark chances are no one changed them before you unless you bought the car off some sort of enthusiast

Which means nothing since we don't know anything about his car. He said he's the 2nd owner and it's been babies all its life.
For all I know it could have been sitting in a garage under a car cover for 16 years.

If he needs to save as much money as he can, he should skip the shocks and struts. He doesn't need them.

OP, I ran SVE lowering springs (2" drop, stock spring rate) with stock shocks and struts for a short period of time and never encountered a problem. No CC plates either.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Which means nothing since we don't know anything about his car. He said he's the 2nd owner and it's been babies all its life.
For all I know it could have been sitting in a garage under a car cover for 16 years.

If he needs to save as much money as he can, he should skip the shocks and struts. He doesn't need them.

OP, I ran SVE lowering springs (2" drop, stock spring rate) with stock shocks and struts for a short period of time and never encountered a problem. No CC plates either.

My my car was babied also. Mine only had 102,000 on it when I got it. They were blown to crap. Things do break down.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ONLY 102,000? I was talking about babied like 25,xxx miles....

Oh well only the OP knows how his car feels and whether his suspension is blown or failing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how long are you planning on keeping the car? If money is important and the budget is dictating what can be done then I HIGHLY recommend you save some cash and do them both at once. Your either going to pay someone to take the wheels off and get down to the shocks/springs 2x or your going to do it yourself 2x's and time is money my man. Do it right, do it once, and call it done and you will save more time/money in the long run as even IF they are still good now your on borrowed time.....

Now if your only going to keep if for another year, maybe two, drop it in the weeds, F-the shocks struts and drive it like ya stole it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online