Who are the 4.6L 2V experts?

delling3

Reaction score
I have a stock NPI Motor. I have a new FRPP Intake and a set of PI cams sitting here awaiting install. Not sure if I want to tackle both at the same time, or do the intake first, and hold off on the cams for a bit.

Is there any benefit to doing both at the same time? Is it significantly easier to change out the cams with the intake off the car? This will be my first time working on the Mustang. Sure looks cramped in that engine bay . . .

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
When the intake is off, there will be a lot of things already out of the way. I’d say do them at the same time, but make sure to put tape over the ports so nothing falls in. Are you going to pull the timing cover or try to do it without taking the timing cover off?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I would say do both at the same time
Makes no sense to do half one week
Tare it down again to do the other half
That would be doing double the work
That's just me
Worroir 1016 right on the money

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I have been warned enough about the pitfalls of trying to do the cam swap without removing the timing cover, that I have been "scared straight". So the timing cover is coming off, new chains, guides, and a new water pump are all planned as part of the deal. If I had done this before, and new what I was doing I would probably try and pull it off without pulling the cover.

Part of my concern is my lack of experience. I am confident I can get it done, but what might be a weekend job for some of you guys will probably get dragged out by me due to a large dose of over-caution. I really don't want the car sitting for weeks on end. If I had a heated workspace, I could do it in the winter, but no such luck.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have been warned enough about the pitfalls of trying to do the cam swap without removing the timing cover, that I have been "scared straight". So the timing cover is coming off, new chains, guides, and a new water pump are all planned as part of the deal. If I had done this before, and new what I was doing I would probably try and pull it off without pulling the cover.

Part of my concern is my lack of experience. I am confident I can get it done, but what might be a weekend job for some of you guys will probably get dragged out by me due to a large dose of over-caution. I really don't want the car sitting for weeks on end. If I had a heated workspace, I could do it in the winter, but no such luck.
Ya that's another thing you want a clean dry place to work in ,keep all dirt and dust out of the engine , and some of that stuff will take time to work especially if you dont have the proper tools
Just take your time take pictures in case you loose track always find top dead center look for the Mark's on the chains
It is pretty easy
Wrenching can be fun knowing you did it and not someone else
I think you can do it

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly man, pulling the cover and intake and cams, that’s like a 3-4 hour job. I’m confident you can do it in a weekend if you have the right tools.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of wrenching experience - DOHC motorcycle engines, pushrod 4-cylinder car engine, etc. Have no hands on experience with V-8's of any type. I think I have a decent collection of tools. My challenges are the work-space (cramped, unheated garage with crap lighting), and lack of familiarity with the Modular V-8. I am confident that I can do the work (good, since I can't afford to pay for it), but I know I will be taking my time to get it right.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you don’t pull the timing cover you won’t be able to inspect the crank gears which are prone to wearing out over time.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You gonna need a dampener puller, rtv, razor blade, basic tools. Youll be fine. You got us to ask questions.

Keep in mind that a pi intake on npi heads is a 2 day process. The blob of rtv needed in the water port needs a good day to dry up.

Connie

Reaction score
What I can say is, if you've never done something that seems intimidating to you, do like I do and find some YouTube Videos that are in line with a big job your planning. Watch them a few times to get comfortable, and familiar with the process. I haven't had to go into our Engines like your planning, but it has helped me with difficult jobs I had to do, that I've never done before. BOB.DSC00053.JPG

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I agree the mechanically speaking, your’re “almost there”, but then there is the expense. If I were going to change the heads, you have the cost of the heads, head bolts, and gaskets. I wouldn’t install used heads without doing a valve job, so add a significant amount of machine shop $$. I know I am losing about 10 hp as compared to PI heads, but the cost is significant.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I agree the mechanically speaking, your’re “almost there”, but then there is the expense. If I were going to change the heads, you have the cost of the heads, head bolts, and gaskets. I wouldn’t install used heads without doing a valve job, so add a significant amount of machine shop $$. I know I am losing about 10 hp as compared to PI heads, but the cost is significant.

The difference between a partial PI swap (PI intake/cams + NPI head setup) vs a complete PI swap is greater than 10 hp! If you can, do it. If you don’t, you will beat yourself up and then just do it later.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
The difference between a partial PI swap (PI intake/cams + NPI head setup) vs a complete PI swap is greater than 10 hp! If you can, do it. If you don’t, you will beat yourself up and then just do it later.
Dyno proof, please.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online