Who can explain hydroboost and how it works?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my power steering lines that runs to the hydroboost/steering rack and just wanted to understand how this system truely works. I heard it assists with braking and gives you firm brake pedal pressure etc. I also heard if your running wild cams it can mess with your braking because of the type of vacuum is being produced with cams. I guess you can say I have more questions than answers, but I just want to know how this system truely works. Anyone want to drop some knowledge?

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
  • Hydro-Boost

WARNING: BRAKE FLUID CONTAINS POLYGLYCOL ETHERS AND POLYGLYCOLS. AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES. WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING. IF BRAKE FLUID CONTACTS EYES, FLUSH EYES WITH RUNNING WATER FOR 15 MINUTES. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IF IRRITATION PERSISTS. IF TAKEN INTERNALLY, DRINK WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

CAUTION: The hydro-boost booster is powered by power steering fluid. Brake fluid and power steering fluid are not compatible, and if mixed, damage will result in the system.

The Bendix hydro-boost brake booster:

• is a hydraulically-operated brake booster powered by the power steering pump.
  • is mounted on the engine side of dash panel.
  • has snap-fit hydraulic fittings on hydraulic tube manifold that disconnect like other power steering snap fit fittings.
  • has a bleed screw located on top of booster housing between dash panel and accumulator.
  • has a reserve system (accumulator) which stores sufficient fluid under pressure to provide at least two power-assisted brake applications if power steering pump fluid flow is interrupted.
  • will feel softer than vacuum boost system when vehicle is stationary and high effort is applied to the brake pedal.
Manual brake application is permitted if reserve system is depleted.
The hydro-boost booster, power steering pump hydraulic hoses are all serviced separately. If hydro-boost booster is damaged or inoperative be replaced with a new assembly.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
So we can bleed the hydroboost when replacing the power steering lines etc, since it runs off power steering fluid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.