Who has done PI engine swap?

Stock 96 GT

Reaction score
Just curious to know...has anyone on here done a PI engine swap into their car? I am going to be doing it this spring and just need some more info on it. What exactly do you have to reuse or modify? I have an 02 engine that I am going to be installing. What needs to be done?

SonicStang

Reaction score
I am running an 02 engine. I had to get some new gaskets if I remember right. Nothing spectacular. You need to reuse your timing cover to make it work.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Well this is what you have to consider. How many miles does your exsiting parts have? See my old motor had 140k on it. So I thougt it was time to also buy some new stuff like a water pump, thermostat, radiator (optional), gatorback belt, and a few other things. Nothing really hurtful. Since the motor is going to be out of the car you should consider headers. They will be much much much easier to install. But other then that it was pretty cut and dry. Not too bad of an install. Only time it really makes a difference is when you go with a coil on plug motor. Then you have to buy the coil adapters or something like that.

OP
OP
S

Stock 96 GT

Reaction score
Yeah, I am doing a whole bunch to that engine before I drop it in. I am going with VT Stage 1 cams, Accufab plenum and 70mm throttle body, BBK shorty headers, densecharger cold air, and on top of that, I am getting my heads ported and polished by either Steen or Fox Lake (stage 1). It should make quite a bit more power than what I am making right now!

jpajkos

Reaction score
I couldnt agree with you more about the porting and polishing. Go with the C&L kit. The kit comes with the cold air and MAF. Good quality stuff there. I wish I could do cams but out here in Cali god damn smog laws wont let us. See all my mods below. I had my heads, intake and plenum ported and polish and with no tune I was making 281 rwhp and 304 torque. You should make really close to 320 horses with out a problem. From what I hear its all in the tune man. A good tuner will defantly make your pony spew out some extra power! Good luck man make sure to take pics.

OP
OP
S

Stock 96 GT

Reaction score
320 you think? Alright man, that's what I like to hear!!! That sounds very promising to me. I wanted to go the N/A route first, just to see how much I could get out of the 2V. I am waiting until I am done with school before I go adding any big power adders (i.e. twin turbo :thumb:). I think 320 will keep me happy through school!

That sucks that you can't get any cams! In my home state, we had emissions testing. But out here in Nebraska, we don't have them so we can pretty much do whatever we want as far as mods go.

SonicStang

Reaction score
Stock 96 GT said:
320 you think? Alright man, that's what I like to hear!!! That sounds very promising to me. I wanted to go the N/A route first, just to see how much I could get out of the 2V. I am waiting until I am done with school before I go adding any big power adders (i.e. twin turbo :thumb:). I think 320 will keep me happy through school!

That sucks that you can't get any cams! In my home state, we had emissions testing. But out here in Nebraska, we don't have them so we can pretty much do whatever we want as far as mods go.

You'll love the power the 02 motor makes. It still gives me a kick sometimes, even though I'm running that combo since 6 months now :D

jpajkos

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. You'll defiantly love the extra power man. Cams from what I hear make a HUGE difference. Also make sure you got some good gears i.e 4.10s-3.73's. Sounds like you communte to school alot so I would go with the 3.73s. I can't wait till I get a good tune man. I would defiantly be close to 300. Im thinking about trying the VT stage 1 cams here after I smog my car. I want to see if once I install them if I can pass smog. Since the new block I have is really new well the whole motor is I might be able to wing it. Then i'll have some good POWAH!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online