Who here has a TMoss ported lower?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
For those that don't know, I just picked up a 94/95 Cobra upper and lower complete with fuel rails and injectors, throttle body and MAF. I probably won't be installing any of it until this winter assuming I have my car outta the shop by then, and I plan on acquiring a few more parts from now to then. I'll be looking for a cam and maybe a set of heads even though my e7's are freshly rebuilt...may keep them for now who knows. But I'm thinking about having the lower ported in the mean time and I've read about TMoss porting here and on several other sites. Anyone have any experience with them or have any other input as to what I should look for to add to my setup? I'm just looking to make good power on a budget...no forced induction or nitrous, just a fun street driven car somewhere close to the 300hp range, I'm not out to out-do anyone. Also to add to this I already have a set of Crane 1.7 RR's that have not been installed yet, my motor is freshly rebuilt, bored .020 over and full exhaust.

familytruckster

Reaction score
From the reading I've done, a stock cobra/GT40/Explorer is more than enough for E7's. If you had GT40 heads, then I'd probably get it ported. IIRC the Cobra TB is the same as the GT, possibly the MAF also.

As for TMoss's work, I've never heard anything bad.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I plan on either getting a set of gt40's or some AFR 165's if they're still up for sale at my machine shop. So I figured on porting it now vs deciding to do it down the road.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
From previous experience, plus online research, the cobra/gt40 is THE intake to have for a nice street car. Lotsa midrange, and good power overall. Now, as far as porting, it's definitely worth getting the lower ported to make better airflow. I think it's the back cylinders that need it the most (or front, can't remember) but they have a big dog leg in em that tmoss porting will straighten out. Definitely worth either doing, or having done. Supposed to be 20-30 hp gain with a ported lower.

the other mod worth doing on a 94-5 is getting rid of the stock style throttle body and elbow. Not only is it a restriction, but better throttle response can be had with the fox style tb. I've converted both of my sn's after messing with the stock tb setup

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
the other mod worth doing on a 94-5 is getting rid of the stock style throttle body and elbow.
I had considered doing that if I were to buy an explorer intake or 93 cobra intake but I got way too good a deal on the setup I have now to pass it up so it looks like stock elbow for me. The throttle body that came with it is a 65mm though.

Bub

Reaction score
My explorer intake is tmoss ported, I have 0 experience with an unported one, however the guy I bought it from said the porting made a significant torque increase over unported

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Well, if ya ended up with a 94-5 cobra setup, I'd rock it if it's cheap!!! No sense in swapping!!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the stock GT TB is 60mm or 62mm, so the 65mm isn't a huge increase but every little bit helps.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I think the stock GT TB is 60mm or 62mm, so the 65mm isn't a huge increase but every little bit helps.
I was also thinking stock is 60mm. Wonder if a 70 or 75mm would be too much if I wind up going to different heads and cam in the future?

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I have a 70 on my gt40 with stock heads... Other than some computer tuning, it will run way better than stock.

tykempster

Reaction score
70mm TB with a ported (by who...who knows, Craigslist deal) gt40p upper and lower, B cam, and gt40 heads, along with exhaust. 70mm made the throttle response better going from stock to it.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
No point in porting the Lower on stock e7s. It already greatly outflows the heads..

Here is some reading material.. Tom is a very smart man.

http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/

I was actually just told the exact same thing in an email from Tom:
"There is no need to port the 200-205 cfm Cobra for either mid-160 cfm E7 heads or mid-190 cfm GT40 heads, run the intake stock. A ported lower with stock upper works very well N/A or with forced induction on AFR 165/185, TW 170, Performer, Performer RPM, or any similar heads with a 1250 size port entry. "

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
I was actually just told the exact same thing in an email from Tom:
"There is no need to port the 200-205 cfm Cobra for either mid-160 cfm E7 heads or mid-190 cfm GT40 heads, run the intake stock. A ported lower with stock upper works very well N/A or with forced induction on AFR 165/185, TW 170, Performer, Performer RPM, or any similar heads with a 1250 size port entry. "

Yep! You can learn alot from him. He has a TON of really good writeups out there, from flow and power numbers to wiring schematics, etc..

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
So I guess I'll just leave it stock since that's what he suggests to do. Unless I come across a set of good AFR's or something similar. But for now I'm just gonna look into finding some GT40's or GT40P's and a good cam.

KidK9

Reaction score
I ran one on my Cobra. Also had it Jet-Hot coated. He's very reliable and good work. I never got it dyno'd before and after tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.