who knows bikes i have a question?

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
im looking at a bike right now but it says it has a crack in the front fairing...what the hell is that??

95-stang

Reaction score
If you mean the fairing, its the plastic that goes in front of the rider, which the screen attaches to. If you look at an AMA, Moto GP or World Superbike you will see what i mean.

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/MotoLegendsSite/M_NewItems(MotoLegends)/PO73046%28GPL_BaseCatalog%29/MotoLegends.htm

The bit with the acreen, the number 46 on and the various Fiat adverts etc, is classed as the fairing. ;)

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
so its just plastic pieces?? if so thats awesome because me being kinda new to bikes really dont bother me too much i was just hoping it wasnt something major lol hmmm i really want this bike now

95-stang

Reaction score
If its a crack in the fairing, some pieces are very expensive, some can be repaired, it could be crash damage, or it just fell off the stand, look for other tell-tale signs.
The fairing usually splits into: the bellypan= 2 pieces [right at the bottom, 2 middle pieces, and the top fairing, the bit the screen attaches to.
For instance, my CBR1000RR, 1 middle section alone is about £140 [$280] for a genuine Honda part, bikes are not a cheap hobby. :)

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
ok the only pic i can see of it is a rear corner angle....thats kinda scaring me lol since he mentions it but theres not a pic of it....but its a cbr900rr its a 98 i believe possibly a 97....fully polished frame ..wheels etc. and hes askin 2800

95-stang

Reaction score
Ask for some close ups, everyone and his dog owns a camera of some sorts. ;)

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
95-stang said:
Ask for some close ups, everyone and his dog owns a camera of some sorts. ;)

ok i will see what i can do O0 the bikes got 17k on it...should that worry me??

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I think most bikes typically have a lifespan of 30k miles or so, sounds like a good deal to me.

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
who knows a good bike accessories site for like tinted windsheilds...flush mount signals and all that for a 98 cbr900rr??

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if you dont know what a cracked fairing is, should you be wanting that ig of a bike. ???

94Vert

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
I think most bikes typically have a lifespan of 30k miles or so, sounds like a good deal to me.

A bike engine will last just as long as a car engine as long as the proper maintanence is performed. My 93 honda 750 nighthawk had 24k on it when I sold it and it ran like a top. bikes do require more up keep though like valve adjustments, chain tension and the like

94Vert

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
if you dont know what a cracked fairing is, should you be wanting that ig of a bike. ???

although they make fairings for 250cc bikes, a 900 is a big bike for a beginner. I would seriously recommend a 600 for you. You would never be able to use a 900's full potenial on the street anyway. A 600 that is 96 or newer will have more power than you can handle. Most have around 90-100 hp, for something that only ways 350 lbs. that is quick

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
yeah im not about performance just to cruise on back and forth to work and stuff ...i have wanted a 600 but the price is higher and i really like that the frame and wheels are polished already so that saves me money....im not a noob to bikes ..its just been awhile since i have ridden....i have grown up on bikes O0

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
so what kinda bikes have you owned before?

older cruisers lol

a couple mid 80's hondas and suzukis
and my friend had a extra bike i use to ride when ever we hung out it was a 97 cbr600 so i have a little crotch rocket experience lol

but mainly dirtbikes when i was a youngin

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
Red96GT said:

not quite high mileage on a bike just means its been riden(most of the time), they are like imports, with proper care they will run forever...

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
94Vert said:
A bike engine will last just as long as a car engine as long as the proper maintanence is performed. My 93 honda 750 nighthawk had 24k on it when I sold it and it ran like a top. bikes do require more up keep though like valve adjustments, chain tension and the like
for the most part i agree, but with crotchrockets i would have to say that they will last no where near as long as a car would. they are high revving motors with 12,000+ redlines.

OP
OP
T

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
94Vert said:
for the most part i agree, but with crotchrockets i would have to say that they will last no where near as long as a car would. they are high revving motors with 12,000+ redlines.
i think that seems right i see most bikes redline around 12k to 14k and the powerbands are usually towards the top so most bikes see frequent high rpms... i dont think i will get 180k outta a bike like my stang hahaha but 50k would be amazing ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online