Whole rear end housing bent and leaking. BIG MESS. HELP PLEASE!

rcjustin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Story goes as i was in front of a friends house and getting ready to leave so i decide im guna lay out a quick burnout on my 315 nittos. Drop the clutch, tires spin for about 3 seconds then tires ehated up grabbed traction and i got wheel hop that i thought made the car fall apart. I let off asap but it was too late as i rolled off the road with a clunking noise from the rear. Got the car home via flatbed and jscked it up and the stud connecting the axle housing and gear housing broke and there is gear oil leaking out and the whole axle housing appears to be bent out from the housing if that makes sense. This car is my DD and now sits in the parking lot broken. The car will still move but everything is out of shape. Tires are running, axle is off angle etc. I think i am going to need a whoole new rear? Now for the questions?

1. Will a foxbody rear fit right up because thats alli can seem to find anywhere?
2. How hard would it be to put a 9" rear in since i need a new one anyway?
3. Do you think the rear end is repairable in the condition its in?
4. Any suggestions on where i could find the parts for it?

Thanks for any help in advance. I really appreciate it.

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
i used a Lincoln mark 7 rear under my 94...its about 3/4 - 1 inch wider a side ( fills the wheel well better)

you say the angle is off .....you better check the control arms sounds like you might of bent one

ryclef331

Reaction score
Sounds like you broke the spot welds that hold the axle tubes in the diff housing. Thats an accomplishment!

As for the axle choices....a fox will fit but it is narrower than an sn95 so it would look corny as hell. A 9" is a bit of overkill. There are plenty of 9 second cars out there on 8.8's. Keep digging man. If anything look for a 99 and up! the extra 3/4" will look better. Also, look over your WHOLE rear end. Control arms and all. Besure to check the tq boxes where the control arms bolt to the body as well.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
The housing for the 8.8 are the same for fox, sn95, new edge. The difference is the axles. if you use your mounting brackets(disc brakes) with your axle(replacement if needed) a fox housing will work perfect.

OP
OP
R

rcjustin

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Sounds like you broke the spot welds that hold the axle tubes in the diff housing. Thats an accomplishment!

As for the axle choices....a fox will fit but it is narrower than an sn95 so it would look corny as hell. A 9" is a bit of overkill. There are plenty of 9 second cars out there on 8.8's. Keep digging man. If anything look for a 99 and up! the extra 3/4" will look better. Also, look over your WHOLE rear end. Control arms and all. Besure to check the tq boxes where the control arms bolt to the body as well.

That is exactly wut i did now that i checked. Its completely missing one weld. It fell out. lol. O well. Guess its a new rear for me now. No car for a few weaks. Anyone have a geared rear forsale. I need SOMETHING good to come outa this and gears should make it worth it.