Why has no one tried this EATC Install/ swap ?

damon81nola

Reaction score
Okay so as many of you know I’ve been working on this mustang for a while. I had the fire a while back and some stuff was damaged. Well the vacuum hose that goes into the fire wall fell victim to this and is no longer sticking out the firewall. My plan was/is to correct that issue. I was trying to avoid taking the dash down but starting to accept that it probably cannot be avoided. Well while talking to some guys on Facebook about the last thing they’ve done to their vehicle, one guy said he’d added EATC.
4ec69362109eee6decd270a4b377a1b0.jpg

I was shocked of course because I haven’t heard of anyone doing so of course if I’m going to be forced to remove the whole dash anyways, why not right? I asked a lot of questions. One thing is he has a RHD SN so that’s different but from what he’s told me, he was successful. Of course I’ve checked all over but can’t find anything about someone doing so on a mustang other than him. I’ve found trucks, crown Vic’s and their sisters and a few others that have done it though. Seems like a task though. Anyone hear or know someone who has? If I take this on of course I’ll do a write up and take plenty of pictures but I think I’d have been a bit more comfortable if someone else has and there were details.

Here’s what I have found that helps with the search for parts but now I’ll have to see what’s different. I’ve already seen quite a few things that are but I’ll be looking over things to see what else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
everyone has their own reasons I am sure. Mine are:
1.) between the engine management system, external gauges, alarm, remote radar detector and currently installed and future planned stereo I need to add some more wiring/complexity to my dash as much as I need to puke some more(only 2 time today so I am not saying it is not possible).
2.) I don't like how it looks

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn’t look natural but to each their own. If you could get it to fit further back into the dash maybe it would be better.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
everyone has their own reasons I am sure. Mine are:
1.) between the engine management system, external gauges, alarm, remote radar detector and currently installed and future planned stereo I need to add some more wiring/complexity to my dash as much as I need to puke some more(only 2 time today so I am not saying it is not possible).
2.) I don't like how it looks

Understandable. I’m planning on doing the alarm, already have the radio and am thinking about the radar detector too. I don’t mind how it looks but you are right everyone has their reasons. I see the parts list but none specific to the mustang so I’m wondering if I took this on how can it be done, wiring, possibly fabricating something so that the auto blend actuator works and all that. sound is not gonna be an issue for me, that’s easy. The radar detector shouldn’t be hard either. The alarm... as I see the person who owned this car before me tore Stuff up and it looks like mine had keyless entry before someone chopped it off in the trunk and removed the mount too, installed an alpine alarm system which I have removed as they could not find the remotes (they don’t even make that alarm anymore) It’s about 20 years old, I’ve got my work cut out for me

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
It doesn’t look natural but to each their own. If you could get it to fit further back into the dash maybe it would be better.

That will be something I look into if I try. I’ve got 3/4 of the parts though and for about 30 bucks. Have another piece or two to get probably bring me up to 100 total. But this isn’t mine. This is the pic from the guy who’s done it but things are different as he has a RHD so not much he can offer for help. I my have to get a Grand Marquis/Vic manual and start comparing wires etc to figure this out. Bottom line for me is since I have to pull the dash to replace that line (unless there’s a way of not taking down the dash for one line) anyways it’s worth a shot.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
like you said never seen anyone do it here, or anywhere so not sure what to tell you on what info is needed or where to get it. Its probably not rocket surgery but I am willing to bet you can figure 3-5 hours of research(maybe more), who know what scrounging of 20 yr old parts of fabricating of them is needed, and then a few hours of install. So 10-15 hours on the best case scenario and who knows how much on parts but when your done you will have the most original sn climate control.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
like you said never seen anyone do it here, or anywhere so not sure what to tell you on what info is needed or where to get it. Its probably not rocket surgery but I am willing to bet you can figure 3-5 hours of research(maybe more), who know what scrounging of 20 yr old parts of fabricating of them is needed, and then a few hours of install. So 10-15 hours on the best case scenario and who knows how much on parts but when your done you will have the most original sn climate control.

Apparently only on this side of the pond since the guy I was talking to has done it. Things are apparently different on RHD. I know it’s not “go fast” parts but that’s cool with me. It is gonna take some time, research, I’m pretty sure some fabricating and some creativity. I guess if I’m successful you are right, it will be unique.

Last edited:
OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Thunderbird SC has EATC panel that looks it could be from Mustang. I could do conversion, but I have so much unfinished things on my car already
https://goo.gl/images/zEd4sW

I should’ve looked at a T Bird in that case. But I understand. I have a lot to iron out too but since I’m trying to replace the vacuum line that comes out the firewall, I’d give this a shot.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Both of my Supercoupe’s had it. But they also had irs, blowers, and a whole lot of other features our mustangs were never available with.

Sometimes I feel like I should of gotten another supercoupe. I love those cars.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Both of my Supercoupe’s had it. But they also had irs, blowers, and a whole lot of other features our mustangs were never available with.

Sometimes I feel like I should of gotten another supercoupe. I love those cars.

Yeah. Mustangs have always been a favorite though

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mustangs have also been a favorite which is why I bought the one I have. But something about the Supercoupes always did it for me.

My family made me promise I wouldn’t get another. First one burnt to the ground, second one got totaled. I don’t remember the wreck or 6 months leading up to it. Several months later I met the cop who was first on the scene. He looked like he had seen a ghost. Said he had never seen an accident like mine where the driver survived, more or less without a scratch. The car was so mangled that all 4 wheels couldn’t sit on the ground at the same time. You could stand at opposite corners and move it up and down like a seesaw.

I told my family that just proved how safe the cars are. They think if I bought another than the third would be the charm and kill me. Lol

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Mustangs have also been a favorite which is why I bought the one I have. But something about the Supercoupes always did it for me.

My family made me promise I wouldn’t get another. First one burnt to the ground, second one got totaled. I don’t remember the wreck or 6 months leading up to it. Several months later I met the cop who was first on the scene. He looked like he had seen a ghost. Said he had never seen an accident like mine where the driver survived, more or less without a scratch. The car was so mangled that all 4 wheels couldn’t sit on the ground at the same time. You could stand at opposite corners and move it up and down like a seesaw.

I told my family that just proved how safe the cars are. They think if I bought another than the third would be the charm and kill me. Lol

So those are your white horse, your Eleanor

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I’ll have another one day. Gotta our the current beast back together first.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
I’ve got all the parts now to give this a go. Looks like one of the issues I have to figure out is how to make this Blend Door actuator
0f05b334006896e27bee82a505ae7c35.jpg

Work with this
35c5c981c8ad49f257574e414a53fabb.jpg
and how to mount it so that it can adjust the blower door. It’s found behind the radio
433baf20d8873acaff00223e78d8a82a.jpg
and needs to turn that little knob once the cable is off. I’m wondering if a good glue or epoxy will hold that piece in place.

Then there’s wiring the sensors And deciding on where to put them and how to wire them. There are three sensors that need to be dealt with. The interior Temperature Sensor
c22c2ed4ea68aea9cb4930d40ea458b4.jpg
, Exterior Temperature sensor
0a16515f338ca85fc3dc53f649453452.jpg
, and the Sunload Sensor
7b244e35fb71de419dcc15fdcfd6efc8.jpg
. One of the sensors goes under the hood somewhere so I’ll probably mount that up front. The interior one Normally has a hose connected to it so that the system can pull air from the inside but in the case of the mustang that simply is not how our system works so it will just have to get its air naturally I guess though it makes me wonder how accurate will it be this way. Then the sunload sensor needs to be mouted somewhere on the dash which I am looking towards the defroster cover to see if I can get there and make a spot for it. I Will take pictures as I proceed. Then there’s wiring all that up and wiring the controller and hoses and the blend door actuator.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online