Why is my fan not turning on?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Ever since I got this new 01 motor my fan has failed to come on. Today my car got so hot that coolant was spraying all over the engine bay! (some goofball broke the little hose that comes off the overflow tank, thats where it was coming from). Anybody know why my fan isn't coming on?

S

scarface

did they install the second sensor that was in the intake somewhere? the Non pi intake has two sensors in the intake (one for the ecu/fans) the PI intake only has a spot for one.

S

scarface

SilverSol said:
nope. and that would be the problem. do you know of a good write up for manually wiring the fan?
there is one on corral, but why not just have it fixed correctly. Your ECU needs that sensor, not just for the fans. You would be better off putting the ecu sensor in there for the time being. THere are tons of options to add the second sensor.

Do you have the aluminum crossover?

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
SilverSol said:
nope. and that would be the problem. do you know of a good write up for manually wiring the fan?
there is one on corral, but why not just have it fixed correctly. Your ECU needs that sensor, not just for the fans. You would be better off putting the ecu sensor in there for the time being. THere are tons of options to add the second sensor.

I would much rather have it done correctly. Maybe it's just the way I am, but I like things to run the way they are supposed to. What options do I have for installing the sensor? I know in mid 01 the 4.6 seen a small change in layout/weight. No I don't think I have the aluminum crossover unless it came with the 01-04 motor!?

S

scarface

SilverSol said:
scarface said:
SilverSol said:

I would much rather have it done correctly. Maybe it's just the way I am, but I like things to run the way they are supposed to. What options do I have for installing the sensor? I know in mid 01 the 4.6 seen a small change in layout/weight. No I don't think I have the aluminum crossover unless it came with the 01-04 motor!?
ok man, there was a plastic crossover and an aluminum crossover on the PI engines...look behind the alternator, if it is aluminum you need to have it tapped, if it is plastic, here are some solutions (other than replacing the intake)

*You can get a "t" fitting and run both sensors off the one hole, however some say that makes a dead spot on both sensors where the coolant does flow over them.

* there is a bung around the driver side motor mount that you can remove and put the temp sensor in.

* This is my favorite way, AND the way I did mine.
- I took the thermostat housing off and went to a machine shop and had a bung welded into the top of that to have the sensor there. You put the temperature gauge in there, it will be a little slow reacting when cold but it will read fine at operating temps.

here is a pic of it on my 97gt.

stathousing%20(600%20x%20400).jpg

zeestraten46

Reaction score
has any one spliced into the sensor and ran both off one I am running into this problem with my tyfoon intake havent started the car yet but I will next week when the car has a trans I was thinking about splicing into the other sensor if that will work !

S

scarface

zeestraten46 said:
has any one spliced into the sensor and ran both off one I am running into this problem with my tyfoon intake havent started the car yet but I will next week when the car has a trans I was thinking about splicing into the other sensor if that will work !
they run off voltage, so I would say it wont work. I have also read on corral several times it wont work.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
What ECU are you using?

What i found when i swapped motors, when i first started the motor, the motor overheated. so we tried everything...but then, i thought, what about the coolant temp sensors? so i swapped over the coolant sensors from the 98 motor to my 96 motor, and it worked!

try using the coolant sensors or whatever sensors from the NPI motor or get sensors for a NPI motor and put it on your PI motor if you are using your NPI motor ECU.

S

scarface

68mustang5.0 said:
What ECU are you using?

What i found when i swapped motors, when i first started the motor, the motor overheated. so we tried everything...but then, i thought, what about the coolant temp sensors? so i swapped over the coolant sensors from the 98 motor to my 96 motor, and it worked!

try using the coolant sensors or whatever sensors from the NPI motor or get sensors for a NPI motor and put it on your PI motor if you are using your NPI motor ECU.
hes not running the sensor at all, that is his problem.

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
68mustang5.0 said:
What ECU are you using?

hes not running the sensor at all, that is his problem.

yeah. one of the sensors is just hanging there. there are the npi sensors though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online