Why won't my radiator fan turn on?

tykempster

Reaction score
I got into a front end collision, made everything straight and replaced my radiator. When I do a KOEO test, my fan cycles through both settings, but with the engine running it never turns on and it will overheat.

My AC condenser is missing because it was damaged and I cut it out at the bracket so I can replace it sometime, but I don't think that should make the fan not turn on.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your fan is controlled by the CCRM which is the box in between the radiator and the coolant overflow tank. I'd yank it and test all the pins.

daltonduree

Reaction score
if it runs for your key on engine testing then check the wiring from the computor to the coolant temp sensor. our cars have two. one for the gauge and one for the computor. check the sensor it self also

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well since the fans both work during the KOEO test that means the CCRM is working.
I would look at the temp sensors. There's 2. one for the computer and one for the gauge.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
The gauge on my dash rises but the coolant in my radiator is cold. Does this mean my thermostat isn't opening? It was brand new almost.

toyman

Reaction score
The gauge on my dash rises but the coolant in my radiator is cold. Does this mean my thermostat isn't opening? It was brand new almost.

Correct, not opening. Is it installed the right way? Spring towards the engine (intake manifold),

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
My thermostat is definitely the right way, it worked fine before I wrecked. Is it common for an impact to make it stop working? It seems quite simple...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
It depends on how hard you smashed the nose. You could have broken some wires or damaged the CCRM. Or broke the fan itself.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Here is the damage right after, and now with the radiator support straightened as well as I could do. Frame was straight and it seems to drive great still, but obviously the fan needs to work.

UXCRwHS.jpg

VQhGL6s.jpg

IiB5cbg.jpg

bmzYQng.jpg

I think my CCRM is ok because everything else associated with it seems fine. It cycles through the high and low speeds during KOEO fine, and the CCRM makes the usual relay clicks.

After running, the car's temp gauge rises slowly until it will overheat if I don't shut it off. If I open the radiator cap, the coolant is cold. I'm going to replace the thermostat tomorrow and report back.

toyman

Reaction score
I assume the rad fans are still not coming on, correct? The ECT sensor should be taking care of this. Seems like there are a couple of things happening here that need to be sorted out.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Put in a new thermostat. 180* was in there which explains it running cold always. Shoulda checked that before I put it in the first time. Battery was dead so I couldn't check it...nothing can ever go smoothly, battery was fine the other day!

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Put in a new thermostat but battery was dead today.  Had been fine until now so guess I'll get some cables and report back after that :(

RichV

Reaction score
You may have air in the system as well. How about belt routing? Is the belt routed so the water pump spins correctly? Should be spinning opposite of the crank pulley.

Cold radiator is definitely a coolant flow problem, I'd fix that before getting into the fans. Is any part of your radiator getting hot? Have you run the car in idle with the cap off?

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Belt should be fine, it never came off since the accident. Jumping the car tomorrow and charging the battery, will probably take it around the block a few times. Also installing new hood I got.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
New thermostat fixed it! Car reaches temp and stays there, fan turns on, life is good :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online