Wide wheels... confused on clearance?!?

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
I have a leak in my rear drivers side tire from the valve stem, so new tire is needed. Naturally, this is a perfect time to score some wide wheels instead. I want to stick with the Cobra R wheels as I love the look and then I would only need to buy 2.

I found these for a screaming deal - $250 shipped. Problem is they say they won't clear Cobra (or any specialty vehicle with large calipers) rear calipers, but I have seen tons of pics of people sporting these. Surely not this many people are swapping rear brakes out, right? How are they getting them to clear? Or do they with no problem and the disclaimer is for other specialty models?

Anyone have any experience with deep dish Cobra Rs and fitting on a Cobra??

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3...tang-Cobra-Deep-Dish-Wheel-silver#.VJvi3l4AGI

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Here are the wheel specs:

WHEEL SIZE:17x10.5
WHEEL OFFSET:27
BOLT PATTERN:5-114.3
HUB SIZE:70.6
BACK SPACING:6.81

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Moved the thread since it isn't an engine specific question.

They'll fit your rear brakes.
Bust out the tape measure if you're unsure.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Thanks for the move. I got hasty so dropped it in 4v.

It seems the deep dish is the part that has me confused. Tons of non deep dish ones say they fit, but then these say no.

I'll take your word over the vendors. It seems as though there would not be an issue. I have 2 inches to the wheel currently and over an inch from top of caliper to barrel. Should have plenty of room by my math.

Gracias for the help!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how the OEM rear brakes would have difficulty clearing, but phone the vendor and see if there's a reason.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why do you need to replace the tire because of a leaking valve stem? But I am all for justifying upgrades.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The valve stem can be replaced for less than $5. But if you want to upgrade then go for it! I like the way you think haha.

PS if you still wanna get that blower off, I'd be more than happy to receive it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online