Widest Tire

5.0Dell

Reaction score
What is the widest tire I can put on my 95 Gt? I have some 10.5 cobra reps and I’m looking at going with some 315’s. Any help is appreciated!

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Are you asking about the front & rear? Or just the rear? It can be really hard to fit 315s up front on a 94-98 Mustang without making other mods. And, because production tolerances were very loose, it's hard to say what will fit on every car when it comes to 315s. Backspacing is important, and some 315 tires run wider than others.

Also, if this is for a performance driving application, a square setup is better than a staggered setup. Larger rear tires will add understeer.

OP
OP
5.0Dell

5.0Dell

Reaction score
Are you asking about the front & rear? Or just the rear? It can be really hard to fit 315s up front on a 94-98 Mustang without making other mods. And, because production tolerances were very loose, it's hard to say what will fit on every car when it comes to 315s. Backspacing is important, and some 315 tires run wider than others.

Also, if this is for a performance driving application, a square setup is better than a staggered setup. Larger rear tires will add understeer.
Sorry, I’m talking about the rear.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
There are a number of 10.5" wheels that will allow a 315 to fit on the rear of a 94-98 Mustang. As mentioned above, you might have to remove or flip the quad-shocks. And you might have to roll the fender lip. Before you buy anything, go to www.willtheyfit.com to calculate the difference between your current setup and the setup you want to install. You can use that info to get a sense of what mods you might need to make to get the wider wheels and tires to fit on your car. It's also worth checking the specs on the tires compared to others to see if they run wide.

I'm not a big fan of removing quad-shocks to fit wider tires.

Dubsport

Reaction score
I just added 10" SVE NVX w/ 285/35-18 to the rear of my '96 and luckily enough had clearance for the quad shocks as I too am not a fan of losing the quad shocks... they have their purpose!

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I've seen 335s a few times. I used to run 315s on 18x11 True Forged wheels, and now run MT ET Street 305s on 18x10.5 Cosmis wheels. The only issue I had with 315s was the inner sidewall on my driver's side was gently rubbing my tailpipe. Those were BFG 315s, they run wider than say a Nitro 315.
My quad shocks were removed ions ago, so I can't vouch for clearance with those. Most people just flip them.

I feel like my MT 305 may be wider than the BFG 315. The MT 305 is definitely wider than a Nitto 315. Just giving you some idea in reference to brands and sizing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got a set of 17" bullit wheels WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in 02-03 area off of craigslist that had 335 sumisuckos on it. They cleared the quads as any should with proper offset but they would rub in sharp turns. The extra width did nothing for traction on them as they were fun for drifting.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
What sort of suspension have you had in your Mustang(s)? What sort of experience have you had with SRA suspension? Let's hear it.

TrickVert

Reaction score
You can see all the mods on my car in the link on my sig. I have enough that maybe the quads could be removed, but there's absolutely no reason to do so. Some people seem to think they're the work of the devil, and jump at the chance to get rid of them. I say, "Why not have them there to do their job if needed?"

The blanket statement that they're "unnecessary with good aftermarket suspension." is overly simplified and incorrect. There are too many variables in possible combinations of parts and operating conditions, and even in two cars with the same mods, one might need them, and the other not. The only way to know for sure is to pull them and find out.

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I'll respectfully disagree with you based on experience and on Ford's original reason to put quad shocks in the first place. They put them there to absorb vibrations allowed by the terrible OEM bushings. Terrible from any sort of performance standpoint, but just fine for the everyday grocery runs. Once bushings are installed that are of an increased shore hardness and the arms are no longer the factory U-channels and something like what you have in your mod list, the quad shocks are useless, period.

It's been a while for me since running an SRA so I wouldn't have a good grasp on the current aftermarket for it but I've never seen an aftermarket tubular or boxed arm that had rubber in them; they always seemed to have poly bushings, delrin bushings, or heim joints.

I've experimented with the SRA and arguably went up to the very pinnacle of SRA components just shy of a Cortex Racing full floating cambered setup. I had a setup with nothing but spherical heim joints in the back, from the watts link, to a customized upper third link, as well as the lower control arms. Eventually a pinnacle IRS was calling my name and I'm glad I went that route.

Anyways, quad shocks are definitely unnecessary with aftermarket arms at minimum. Once the axle is squarely located and everything's installed correctly that is.

Attachments

• SANY1717.jpg
    SANY1717.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Front cradle finished.jpg
    Front cradle finished.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 16
  • SANY1864.jpg
    SANY1864.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 16
  • Wide shot.jpg
    Wide shot.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Almostfinished.JPG
    Almostfinished.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 15

TrickVert

Reaction score
Anyways, quad shocks are definitely unnecessary with aftermarket arms at minimum. Once the axle is squarely located and everything's installed correctly that is.
I don't have the time to try and dig up posts from multiple Corral members whose experiences contradict this statement, but there *are* people who have installed aftermarket LCA's, experienced wheel hop, and resolved it by reinstalling the quad shocks. There are no absolutes.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Meh, it's word versus word at this point. You'd be quoting peoples' opinions and not a peer-reviewed study. And by the same token, my own responses to you are not 100% qualitative either, rather they are anecdotal just like the multiple Corral members you cite. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

But I still stand by the statement that Ford engineers included quad shocks because of flimsy arms and bushings that were the cause of the wheel hop to begin with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
as for the whole quad shock shit, engineers dont always know what theyre talking about and theres plenty of proof out there about that. run them or dont. your car. everyone has their opinion and feelings towards things so take whats in your best interest and go with that.

i've been tracking (and dailying for 10 until retired) my car for 5+ years and my suspension and tire setup has changed over that time. over that time i have never experienced any real wheel hop by just driving so. take from that what you will. my current set up is factory 300K mile upper arms, hd spherical mm lowers, eibach sway, mm phb and single adjustable konis (full stiff rebound) with frpp c springs with a coil cut. car handles great. i run 315s with 18x10.5 et 12 rims

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99