Wierd clicking noise?

02GT

Reaction score
I need help with this clicking noise that only appears when I put the car in gear. It seems like its coming from the hood but im not exactly sure where its from. If anybody can help me with this Id greatly appreciate it.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not sure man, could be the motor, or exhaust.
need more info!

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Well the only other info I can give is that it only happens when the car is put into drive or reverse. When its in park it is fine, which leads me to believe that its the transmission, but it sounds like something is just rattling and its not a major problem, it just sounds awful :-X

ripper

Reaction score
Sounds like somethings just loose. Like the heat cover sound you hear when it goes bad on your cats. Let someone sit and change gears and you stand next to the car and track it down.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Every V6 I have EVER driven, including the newer 99 and ups, do this exact same thing. I know exactly what you are talking about and it sounds like garbage. I think its the load being put on the engine causing a little bit of valve rattle. My car makes a similar noise when in too high of a gear at too low of a speed. My exs 5spd V6 did it in any gear. Hate to say its probably just due to the worlds most junk ass V6, the 3.8

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Hmm, well I have had my dad put the car in gear with me outside of it and looked around. The sound seems to be coming from the transmission. So we jacked it up and took a look and theres nothing wrong there. So when we got it back down and put it in gear and try to find the sound again it seems like its coming from the valves. As WyoTech said above, it seems like its just due to how shitty a 3.8 is.

Which is why im buying a 5.0 from a 94 and dropping the trans and motor in.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
the 3.8 isnt really that bad of a motor...especially sice the block can hold more power than a stock 5.0 block can.

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
I just don't want to spend a lot of money to get my 3.8 up to the standards of beating stock GTs. With a 5.0 you can start off with a decent amount of HP and build from there.

[NIGH7MAR3]

Reaction score
mine went to the shop this mourning for the samething its sounds like a valve click right well when i get info from the shop ill post up

[NIGH7MAR3]

Reaction score
the lifters are bad they need to be replaced i just found that out about my car be prepared to pay 700$

S

scarface

[NIGH7MAR3 said:
]
the lifters are bad they need to be replaced i just found that out about my car be prepared to pay 700$
dang...you could swap in a v8 for a lil more money :(

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
yeah Im doing a v8 swap as soon as I get the money. For my 89 fox I got a v8 with transmission for 500 so Im hoping I can find a similar deal. Im not looking for swap automatically tho, I want to completely rebuild the engine. What I would LIKE to do is throw a 351 cleveland in there, but thats a lot of money im not prepared to spend right now.