Wife's DFG Convertible GT

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Why the crap would someone put those in a car?? Some people man..

Not sure what people think sometimes. Probably some douche who wanted to have that sweet ass in the air look.

I removed them with extreme prejudice. The car actually sits level now!

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Looks like you have a nice little collection of fun there! That rx7 is deceiving lol

Thanks!

Still working all the quirks out of them so I have not even trusted either of them to drive me or my wife even to work yet. Kind of feel like an idiot selling two well sorted cars and starting over. But I suppose where is the fun in that?

punched281

Reaction score
Thanks!

Still working all the quirks out of them so I have not even trusted either of them to drive me or my wife even to work yet. Kind of feel like an idiot selling two well sorted cars and starting over. But I suppose where is the fun in that?

Haha yea exactly. How was the 6.0 swap? Did you just buy everything in a bundle like the ecu and harness and all that? I am kinda thinking that would be a cool project to do one day.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Haha yea exactly. How was the 6.0 swap? Did you just buy everything in a bundle like the ecu and harness and all that? I am kinda thinking that would be a cool project to do one day.

There are packages out there for every aspect of this swap, but I am a cheap skate and waited on good deals. If you buy all the premade stuff this swap can cost north of 10k.

One place to not cheap out is the quality of the mounts, I used Ronin Speedworks kit which is basically the best you can get and utilizes the Corvette mounting pedestals. So physically getting the LS and T56 mounted was fairly easy. Just had to cut out the old transmission mount points and drill in the new mount points. Also had to trim the shifter hole a little bit.

The wiring and ecm were another story. it can cost a lot of money to buy the packages, so I bought a harness that had already been "Worked over" but needed a lot of love. Got it cheap and then spent about 6 hours repairing wiring and rebuilding the entire harness. The ecm I sent off to a guy in Missouri that dropped in the LS2 tune, removed VATS, emissions and the rear 02's.

I had to recreate all the fuel lines, wire all the gauges, custom fit an electronic speedometer, custom fit a radiator and fan. It was well worth it all though.

There is a reason you see so many half complete swaps out there. Just make sure when you start that you are in it for the long haul because you will never get your money back out of one.

punched281

Reaction score
There are packages out there for every aspect of this swap, but I am a cheap skate and waited on good deals. If you buy all the premade stuff this swap can cost north of 10k.

One place to not cheap out is the quality of the mounts, I used Ronin Speedworks kit which is basically the best you can get and utilizes the Corvette mounting pedestals. So physically getting the LS and T56 mounted was fairly easy. Just had to cut out the old transmission mount points and drill in the new mount points. Also had to trim the shifter hole a little bit.

The wiring and ecm were another story. it can cost a lot of money to buy the packages, so I bought a harness that had already been "Worked over" but needed a lot of love. Got it cheap and then spent about 6 hours repairing wiring and rebuilding the entire harness. The ecm I sent off to a guy in Missouri that dropped in the LS2 tune, removed VATS, emissions and the rear 02's.

I had to recreate all the fuel lines, wire all the gauges, custom fit an electronic speedometer, custom fit a radiator and fan. It was well worth it all though.

There is a reason you see so many half complete swaps out there. Just make sure when you start that you are in it for the long haul because you will never get your money back out of one.

hmm good to know definitely. I think the two contestants for a big swap like this would either be an ls swap or a coyote. But if it is a ford car, like a crown vic or a continental it will most likely be a ford motor. But that is good heads up on it.

My car used to be a v6 and did a v8 swap on it, so I know just a little bit about the headaches that can come along with that. A lot of little details with swapping the heart and brains of a car.

Good job getting that thing done tho!

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
hmm good to know definitely. I think the two contestants for a big swap like this would either be an ls swap or a coyote. But if it is a ford car, like a crown vic or a continental it will most likely be a ford motor. But that is good heads up on it.

My car used to be a v6 and did a v8 swap on it, so I know just a little bit about the headaches that can come along with that. A lot of little details with swapping the heart and brains of a car.

Good job getting that thing done tho!

Thanks!
It is a fun swap. If you have swapped stuff out already on a Mustang you have done half the work involved on a swap like this already. A lot of guys hop in and have never done something like this assuming it will be a nice easy project and do not anticipate the extra costs involved. These cars are definitely kind of crap boxes though. Mustangs are a lot more comfortable and better built over all.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Pulled it out and snapped a picture. Figures it is cloudy, but it is looking much better without the tribars. Took it for a short drive, either some of the idlers are going out or the smog pump is about gone. Give it any sort of gas and it starts squealing like no other from the passenger side of the bay. I think its a good idea to just get that smog pump outa there. Oh yea, total investment including car purchase is at $1700 :thumbsup:

TanTop94

Reaction score
Wow! I really need to get my lil bros car that clean..poor thing haha! This is some inspiration for sure. Wish we could say we only had $1700 in that car though....and to think it was free. Guess you get stuck between a rock and a hard place, you cant do much put pony up the dough haha.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Funny my DFG convertible had a crease in nearly the exact same spot in the pass front fender, some PDR love helped it go away (almost). The newer Cobra's look nice on there.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Funny my DFG convertible had a crease in nearly the exact same spot in the pass front fender, some PDR love helped it go away (almost). The newer Cobra's look nice on there.

Thanks!

Yea that crease is a bit of a bastard. I think it was from the person who installed the CAI. It was a lot worse and I popped the majority of it back out, but that last little bit was being stubborn and I was worried about making it worse.

Probably have it taken care of when it gets repainted sometime down the road.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
I think the tribars work better on the RX7. Going to try and get some pictures of the two cars together here soon.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Went out and spent some more time cleaning the Vert up today. Replaced all of the idlers and set base timing down to 10*. The timing was not even near the balancer markings when I started. But got her set to 10* base and now it runs and starts up much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.