Will an S197 or S550 steering wheel fit an SN95?

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
Was just looking over some Mustangs being parted out and thought that the steering wheel out of an S197 would be a neat looking swap in my '95. Did they change up the mounting method with the new body styles?

TrickVert

Reaction score
I can't answer your question definitively, but would have to think that you'd have issues not only with the mounting, but also in getting trim pieces to fit and clockspring compatibility.

EDIT: You made me curious, so I went Googling. Lots of people asking the same question, with lots of "I dunno, but that would be cool" answers. There was nothing I found that said "Yes, and here's how."

Funny I just saw this after ordering an FR500 replica wheel this morning. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
Yea, that was the same thing that I came up with on my searches too. I may end up just going with an aftermarket style wheel when I get the urge to swap it. I did a search for other models in the same generation as my '95 but they are all the same style except the cover over the airbag.

What got me thinking about swapping was that I plan to swap out my steering wheel on the LTD I am picking next month (too much flex in the design for spirited driving), and the steering wheels of the 80's to '93 are compatible but came in different styles that are designed better. Seems Ford decided it wasn't worth the cost to have multiple styles of steering wheels starting '94 & at the same time changed mounting methods for the steering wheels.

Now that decent 80's steering wheels are getting harder to find, they are commanding a higher price, like everything else these day's. So I was kinda wishful that the next gen Mustang would be compatible with mine.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I hope so. The interior is Opal Gray, but there's enough black in and around the dash that it should look good. The Foxes had black wheels regardless of the interior color (right?).

badass98svt

Reaction score
I hope so. The interior is Opal Gray, but there's enough black in and around the dash that it should look good. The Foxes had black wheels regardless of the interior color (right?).
Dark gray in most cases, but yeah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.