Will this work: Homemade filler Neck Extension

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by from6to8, Feb 5, 2014.

1. from6to8

from6to8 New Member

My valve cover oil fill neck is right up against the cold air tube and I can't swap sides with because then the valve cover would hit the upper intake I'm sure, I think [​IMG]. I'm a little skeptical about the idea that I read about where one guy cut the filler neck and used a radiator hose that had a bend in it, forgot if it was a 30 or 45 degree and he clampped one end to the cover and the other end to the threaded end for the cap and that gave him the extension he needed to avoid the cap hitting the tube or throttle body or whatever the case was. I guess my skepticism was leaks but I guess the clamps should secure that ??????????????

I don't want to run a breather because i dont wana #### up the pcv system though a twist in breather would be taller and clear the tube possibly..

the first pic is mine and the second pic is an explorer fill tube that has a natural bend and this is another example of what someone used. If i was to use one i would probably just see ifi have a tube with a bend or go to a junk yard and find one instead of buying a new hose with that bend. I'm not sure the Explorer one would be the same size as my neck.

Also someone had before had provided a link to where you could buy a screw in type filler neck extension but I cannot find that old thread.

Darn, forgot i have to do the tiny pic thing first so will try when i get home and get time but you guys should know what I'm talking bout without pics :)

2. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

Not seeing your pics.

Mine does that too, not annoyed with it enough to change it, but it does make contact. Mine is a Fox v/c. The tube is steel, how about heating it up and kinking it a little. If it's just a small amount, can you heat up the tube where the inside radius would be until it's red-hot, then cool it really fast with a wet rag. It should kink it a little. Maybe get a v/c from a JY and see if it works.

3. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

Yes it will work. Issues you could run into with the rad hose it that once its soaked in oil, it maybe tough to keep it clamped on the valve cover with out a lip to keep it from slipping off. No offense but I wouldn't over think it too much. Make it clear, and make it not ugly. If you need to dent it, a large socket and smack it with a hammer (off the car obviously)...just don't warp the opening for the oil cap.

4. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Well-Known Member

I didn't know using a breather could cause problems with the pcv? What will that do?

5. ryclef331

It essentially can become a leak by allowing unmetered air into the motor and MAY cause idle or part throttle cruise lean conditions (nothing that will hurt the motor but MAY cause drive ability issues). The PCV valve connects the back of the intake to the crankcase. The oil filler neck breather tube connects the crank case to the intake AFTER the MAF so any air that passes through it INTO the crankcase, through the crankcase and into the back of the intake (via the PCV Valve) and then burnt by the motor has been metered and the computer can account for it. In stock form, its basically a controlled and accounted for vaccum leak. Some people get away with running a breather AND a PCV...Others may not.

6. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Well-Known Member

Ok I understand now. I have one right now but only because it came with a set of valve covers given to me and it looked better than my old cap. I've only put maybe 5 miles on the car since rebuilding my motor so not sure how it's gonna react to it yet.

7. from6to8

from6to8 New Member

i will have to inspect and see how that will work. I do know the threaded part of the filler neck's head is the part that is touching the tube, actually not even sure the threaded part is, but the cap itself is. I yrs ago when first encountered the problem trimmed the edges off the cap so it is basically a round cap now.

unless you mean trying to kink the oil fill neck tube a little so it curbs some on it's own? And yeah would have to make sure the cap can still get on. A kink I would think shouldn't mess with anything.

But come to think of it, I can heat up the end of the tube the end that connects to the tb, heat that up and knock that in some. That will allow me to be able to knock it in some so that at least the rubber will give more. But darn, I don't want to mess up all of my flow either :(

8. from6to8

from6to8 New Member

the dent would be so it would be like buckling it right? So as I'm looking at the cover from the front of car per say, the kink would possibly allow it to curb out the way just enough

Also, a maybe 1/4 plate would allow me to extend the cold air tube out of the way. Do they sell those online anywhere?

9. ryclef331

You mean space the throttle body out? Yes, they do make them but they are usually thicker than 1/4"

10. from6to8

from6to8 New Member

yes i saw some 3/8 inch ones i believe they were. Trouble is the piece of the throttle body that the IAC is attached too, will slide forward and hit the filler neck possibly. The throttle body will go to the left but that piece won't clear the filler neck possibly as it comes forward/left and then i will be back in the same boat as I am with the cap hitting the tube. So basically I will try some things and see which way works best and that even includes trying the cover on the drivers side and see if it will clear the bottom of top intake