Window Tint for my Cobra - How much did you pay for install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Darhawk, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Darhawk

Darhawk Well-Known Member

I recently got a quote form a local window tint installer. I think it's a really high price to pay @$300...What do guys think?
    Please add what you paid in the last year or so I can get a realistic idea of how much it should cost.
    I have never had my windows actually tinted and so I don't even know what is involved.

here is the reply from the installer...
    Hello,

i see its an older car. has it ever been tinted in the past?
    is the car kept clean? older cars require more prep then newer cars.
    very tight back window to install.
    i would install a premium 30% shade film to stay legal at 27%.
    300.00 tax included to do all 5 windows. front windows are precision cut since frameless.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

to schedule a time slot please call

Apparently, this guy is anti-capital letters..hahaha!!!

TIA!!!

2. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

120 is the rate around here for our size cars.... CL has a bunch of installers looking for work

3. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

I think 200-225 is common here.

4. Darhawk

I just received another quote from another installer and they said $250.oo and I won't get the front windshield done..I don't think it needs it. It already has a stock tint on the top. This guy seemed more knowledgeable and actually called me.

5. 9838stang

9838stang Well-Known Member

I paid 150 for it. Very professional too. Ask about warranty and what type of tint they will be using.

6. Witzy0070

Witzy0070 Active Member

I was near 230 with lifetime warranty.

7. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Dude, I got a quote of $160 to do the side and back windows of my Wife's 99 crew F250. That was whatever % tint I wanted. I don't know about your area but I would pay $300 for tint around here.

8. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

I was just quoted $200 and a free glare strip for the whole car with lifetime warranty. I can tell you ever area is a bit different down in FL it was even more competitive. I'd keep looking around that sounds high

9. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

300? Sounds like he bends people over the table without dinner first. $125-200 is standard in most states for good shops with quality tint.

10. sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95 Well-Known Member

$120-150 around here

11. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

$200 with lifetime warranty.

Is that really an issue? Sounds like this guy has never done tint on sports cars.

12. bluex

bluex Active Member

Mine was 150. I had an entire dodge caravan done one time for 180 An that was like 12 Windows lol. 300 is insane for a mustang imo.

13. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

I paid $175 for my 04 Dodge 2500, that was 2 front doors and the rear glass. That was about 7 years ago.

My new 14 Ram 2500 was close to $200 for the front door windows only. I used Jazz it Up on Arapahoe and Dayton. They did a great job, warranty, and 3M tint.

That rear glass on the SN is a PITA, I took the tint off my 94. Installing it has to be just as big of a pain. Pay the extra for a quality job and materials, $300 is not bad IMO for the intricate work and tight space.

Oh, and take your car to them for the estimate, then they will see how clean it is, and know they will need to take extra care.

14. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

$160 for mine.

20% on the side windows.
    5% on the quarter windows and back glass.
    Vynil strip across the dot matrix on the back glass.
    And when I get a new windshield, a strip of 5% across the top of the glass.

EDIT: Pics in my build thread also.

15. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

That's not a bad price for good work. That being the best of the best in your area. Our cars are old as shit now and there's a lot of garbage baked into the windows. That being said, for them to use good tint (assumed, for that price) and pulling your door panels, etc, and cleaning the windows properly for the tint to stay as-is for the length of time it's on the windows - that price doesn't surprise me. Tint is just like anything else, you've got your good places and your cheap places. As we all, well...most of us know, cheap and quality haven't ever gone hand in hand and never will. I got quoted $350 by one of the best upholstery and tint places in the state of IL. A entire wall of trophies and awards type of place. Also, find out if they laser cut the tint film or they do it by hand. Done by hand = cheap, done by computer cut = what you want.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm assuming that's with a liftetime warranty.

2nd EDIT: Also find out if he's going to tint around your rear defrost or go over it. If the guy even has the thought of going over it then pass. Even the cheap guys cut around it.

16. Darhawk

Thanks RichV for the referral I have gotten several referrals so I need to make a few phone calls and perhaps actually drive the car down to such and such shop .:thumbsup:

Good tips whiplash473 I know the 2nd guy I talked to actually made mention of the matrix pattern on the rear window and side small windows. He said they would be Laser cut and high quality tint. I haven't gotten a phone call from the first guy. I just try to use local if I can, so I don't have to drive 40miles and wait 2hrs.

Thanks to all of you guys for all your thoughts and tips...I will keep an eye out for swindlers. :lemo:

17. Above118

Above118 Active Member

I paid $300 for mine. I went to a highly ranked shop here in Richmond Va. That price included removal of the previous tint that was on it,
    new tint for all windows minus windshield,and vinyl wrap on the outside rear window where the defroster dots are. Also lifetime warranty.

18. Above118

Above118 Active Member

I paid $300 for mine. I went to a highly ranked shop here in Richmond Va. That price included removal of the previous tint that was on it,
    new tint for all windows minus windshield,and vinyl wrap on the outside rear window where the defroster dots are. Also lifetime warranty.

[​IMG]

19. rikkytm

rikkytm New Member

$140-200 around here. I know ceramic tint is more expensive.