Window Tint for my Cobra - How much did you pay for install?

Darhawk

Reaction score
I recently got a quote form a local window tint installer. I think it's a really high price to pay @$300...What do guys think?
Please add what you paid in the last year or so I can get a realistic idea of how much it should cost.
I have never had my windows actually tinted and so I don't even know what is involved.

here is the reply from the installer...
Hello,

i see its an older car. has it ever been tinted in the past?
is the car kept clean? older cars require more prep then newer cars.
very tight back window to install.
i would install a premium 30% shade film to stay legal at 27%.
300.00 tax included to do all 5 windows. front windows are precision cut since frameless.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

to schedule a time slot please call

Apparently, this guy is anti-capital letters..hahaha!!!

TIA!!!

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
I just received another quote from another installer and they said $250.oo and I won't get the front windshield done..I don't think it needs it. It already has a stock tint on the top. This guy seemed more knowledgeable and actually called me.

9838stang

Reaction score
I paid 150 for it. Very professional too. Ask about warranty and what type of tint they will be using.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Dude, I got a quote of $160 to do the side and back windows of my Wife's 99 crew F250. That was whatever % tint I wanted. I don't know about your area but I would pay $300 for tint around here.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I was just quoted $200 and a free glare strip for the whole car with lifetime warranty. I can tell you ever area is a bit different down in FL it was even more competitive. I'd keep looking around that sounds high

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
300? Sounds like he bends people over the table without dinner first. $125-200 is standard in most states for good shops with quality tint.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
$200 with lifetime warranty.

very tight back window to install

Is that really an issue? Sounds like this guy has never done tint on sports cars.

bluex

Reaction score
Mine was 150. I had an entire dodge caravan done one time for 180 An that was like 12 Windows lol. 300 is insane for a mustang imo.

RichV

Reaction score
I paid $175 for my 04 Dodge 2500, that was 2 front doors and the rear glass. That was about 7 years ago.

My new 14 Ram 2500 was close to $200 for the front door windows only. I used Jazz it Up on Arapahoe and Dayton. They did a great job, warranty, and 3M tint.

That rear glass on the SN is a PITA, I took the tint off my 94. Installing it has to be just as big of a pain. Pay the extra for a quality job and materials, $300 is not bad IMO for the intricate work and tight space.

Oh, and take your car to them for the estimate, then they will see how clean it is, and know they will need to take extra care.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
$160 for mine.

20% on the side windows.
5% on the quarter windows and back glass.
Vynil strip across the dot matrix on the back glass.
And when I get a new windshield, a strip of 5% across the top of the glass.

EDIT: Pics in my build thread also.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
here is the reply from the installer...
Hello,

i see its an older car. has it ever been tinted in the past?
is the car kept clean? older cars require more prep then newer cars.
very tight back window to install.
i would install a premium 30% shade film to stay legal at 27%.
300.00 tax included to do all 5 windows. front windows are precision cut since frameless.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

to schedule a time slot please call

Apparently, this guy is anti-capital letters..hahaha!!!

TIA!!!

That's not a bad price for good work. That being the best of the best in your area. Our cars are old as shit now and there's a lot of garbage baked into the windows. That being said, for them to use good tint (assumed, for that price) and pulling your door panels, etc, and cleaning the windows properly for the tint to stay as-is for the length of time it's on the windows - that price doesn't surprise me. Tint is just like anything else, you've got your good places and your cheap places. As we all, well...most of us know, cheap and quality haven't ever gone hand in hand and never will. I got quoted $350 by one of the best upholstery and tint places in the state of IL. A entire wall of trophies and awards type of place. Also, find out if they laser cut the tint film or they do it by hand. Done by hand = cheap, done by computer cut = what you want.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm assuming that's with a liftetime warranty.

2nd EDIT: Also find out if he's going to tint around your rear defrost or go over it. If the guy even has the thought of going over it then pass. Even the cheap guys cut around it.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
I paid $175 for my 04 Dodge 2500, that was 2 front doors and the rear glass. That was about 7 years ago.

My new 14 Ram 2500 was close to $200 for the front door windows only. I used Jazz it Up on Arapahoe and Dayton. They did a great job, warranty, and 3M tint.

That rear glass on the SN is a PITA, I took the tint off my 94. Installing it has to be just as big of a pain. Pay the extra for a quality job and materials, $300 is not bad IMO for the intricate work and tight space.

Oh, and take your car to them for the estimate, then they will see how clean it is, and know they will need to take extra care.
Thanks RichV for the referral I have gotten several referrals so I need to make a few phone calls and perhaps actually drive the car down to such and such shop .:thumbsup:

That's not a bad price for good work. That being the best of the best in your area. Our cars are old as shit now and there's a lot of garbage baked into the windows. That being said, for them to use good tint (assumed, for that price) and pulling your door panels, etc, and cleaning the windows properly for the tint to stay as-is for the length of time it's on the windows - that price doesn't surprise me. Tint is just like anything else, you've got your good places and your cheap places. As we all, well...most of us know, cheap and quality haven't ever gone hand in hand and never will. I got quoted $350 by one of the best upholstery and tint places in the state of IL. A entire wall of trophies and awards type of place. Also, find out if they laser cut the tint film or they do it by hand. Done by hand = cheap, done by computer cut = what you want.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm assuming that's with a liftetime warranty.

2nd EDIT: Also find out if he's going to tint around your rear defrost or go over it. If the guy even has the thought of going over it then pass. Even the cheap guys cut around it.

Good tips whiplash473 I know the 2nd guy I talked to actually made mention of the matrix pattern on the rear window and side small windows. He said they would be Laser cut and high quality tint. I haven't gotten a phone call from the first guy. I just try to use local if I can, so I don't have to drive 40miles and wait 2hrs.

Thanks to all of you guys for all your thoughts and tips...I will keep an eye out for swindlers. :lemo:

Above118

Reaction score
I paid $300 for mine. I went to a highly ranked shop here in Richmond Va. That price included removal of the previous tint that was on it,
new tint for all windows minus windshield,and vinyl wrap on the outside rear window where the defroster dots are. Also lifetime warranty.

Above118

Reaction score
I paid $300 for mine. I went to a highly ranked shop here in Richmond Va. That price included removal of the previous tint that was on it,
new tint for all windows minus windshield,and vinyl wrap on the outside rear window where the defroster dots are. Also lifetime warranty.

rikkytm

Reaction score
$140-200 around here. I know ceramic tint is more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online