Windshield Options?

robb15033

Reaction score
SN95 Windshield~
Somehow, I have never replaced a windshield on any of my cars before. The windshield on it now is one year old and it looks sand blasted, has a quarter size ding, and a crack at the bottom of the glass. I would have to say, this is a "cheap ass" windshield.
-Do they make different quality glass for windshields? How do I know what to ask for? I wanted to know before pricing out a new one.
Thanks, -Robb

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have glass coverage? If you do, maybe something accidentally falls on the windshield and makes a crack? :O

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Do you have glass coverage? If you do, maybe something accidentally falls on the windshield and makes a crack? :O

Did that with my dad windshield. After 100k of all highway miles the windshield was ruined and had a few chips. So my hammer found it's way to the windshield a little bit and we just said a rock on the highway hit it. Free windshield. Free replacement.
Win win.

We did have to fight with our insurance company to get them to replace it with the proper glass. They tried putting on a cheap windshield that didn't have the pony under the mirror. They caved under my dads salesman skills and got us a new good quality windshield and sent an installer out the next day.. :D

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd assume there is a difference in quality of glass. Do I know the difference? No.
I believe there are strict rules for automotive glass, so there shouldn't be any crap glass.

I bet if you go to a repeatable installer you'll be fine.

My family uses a neighbor that has a glass installation business. He comes to your house and does the installation right there! He reinstalled my rear window and installed a new front windshield on the mustang. He's also done my parents vehicles. Seems like a competive price too.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Yea I think there are strict rules.

Luckily our car windows are fairly easy. Glass I got was oem spec or whatnot from a local glass shop. They do great work so the pricing is super fair

PonyGlued

Reaction score
This is what information I have on my 98 glass, maybe it will help you

98glass_zps271eb509.jpg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Being a journeyman glazier for like 5 years I have no issue with aftermarket glass ... It's fairly hard to scratch glass if ur picky and want the donkey under the rear view then your real only option is a factory carlite windshield

lutter94

Reaction score
The fusion has "acusti-glass" supposed to be quiet. One place said it didn't make a difference, they install the cheaper stuff. Why do I care if my insurance saves money. It had an $800 windshield, it got a new $800 windshield. Not from that guy though.....

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I hear that , glass is glass to me in my car . If I can save a little why not , I don't like doing windshield claims on my rides because it shows up on your history

Mustanger

Reaction score
Lots of chinese glass out there....I rejected 3 in a row after the install because they were "wavy" as in not optically correct...VERY noticeable & a nuisance & a hazard I believe...finally my insurance let me get Carlite OEM glass...BUT they had to come out each time & see the defect! I just laughed & told them we could do this for weeks if they wanted....I just want my car in the same condition it was in before!

I know the windshield plays a part in how well your airbags will deploy & some foreign cheapy stuff may not work as deigned.

9838stang

Reaction score
there are a few different types of glass out there, one of which is carlite. that is oem glass. if you look at all of your other windows they will say carlite aswell. my dad has been installing windows for over 30 years. did mine in 30 minutes. It helped that i removed the plastic cowl and the weather striping.

But carlite is what i would recommend. it will be a bit more expensive than the others.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lots of chinese glass out there....I rejected 3 in a row after the install because they were "wavy" as in not optically correct...VERY noticeable & a nuisance & a hazard I believe...finally my insurance let me get Carlite OEM glass...BUT they had to come out each time & see the defect! I just laughed & told them we could do this for weeks if they wanted....I just want my car in the same condition it was in before!

I know the windshield plays a part in how well your airbags will deploy & some foreign cheapy stuff may not work as deigned.

How ow does a Windsheild play any party in how well your airbags deploy ? That's what the crash sensors are for .

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are a few different types of glass out there, one of which is carlite. that is oem glass. if you look at all of your other windows they will say carlite aswell. my dad has been installing windows for over 30 years. did mine in 30 minutes. It helped that i removed the plastic cowl and the weather striping.

But carlite is what i would recommend. it will be a bit more expensive than the others.

I got the sickest window cut out tool ever it works off a drill my buddy's dad invented it ... Cats ass dude I'll take pics . My buddies dad works for Mercedes specializing in the fancy shit sls and stuff like that . He heard I was a glazier and showed me this thing , dude I had to have it

9838stang

Reaction score
He means if that other windshields are to soft it wont deflect the airbag enough to work.... i shouldnt say all others but there are a couple other that arent the best quality

9838stang

Reaction score
Is it like a very wide flexible chisel on the end of a in impact gun? thats what he used on mine. works super well. and the has the razor blade tool with the two handles....

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is it like a very wide flexible chisel on the end of a in impact gun? thats what he used on mine. works super well. and the has the razor blade tool with the two handles....
The tool your talking about it's like almost like a sawzall but made for glass ... No this is way different it actually goes on a regular cordless drill you can cut out Windsheilds in like 3 mins once all the trim or window cowl is off ... I'll get some pics of this fancy device

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that all widely sold automotive glass should work fine with the airbag.
I'd be surprised if there aren't extremely strict rules on min code for glass in automotive applications. Its extremely important for safety in how and when the glass breaks.

You have to realize that whatever glass you buy, its still glass. Its going to crack and scratch.
Its important for the windshield to withstand certain loads, but when it gives it needs to shatter. The shattering prevents large shards of class from impaling occupants. There is also a layer of plastic film in the windshield to contain breaking and give the windshield extra strength.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online