Winter storage- mice

jay87lx

Reaction score
What do you guys do when storing your car for winter to keep mice away from and out of it?? Do mothballs really work,?

joekd

Reaction score
I always used soap bars, just put them on a plate and set one in front, one in rear

Of course one year I pulled my car out in spring to find a mouse nest under the upper plenum on my 5.0, went crazy for a week afterwards making sure they didn't chew anything

Sinned83

Reaction score
I'd get a bunch of snap traps and some d con and put them around it

castine917

Reaction score
I throw mothballs everywhere. Fingers crossed. Not a mouse yet. Friend does dryer sheets.

ranger56528

Reaction score
We use drier sheets in the boat biz and it works good hell I use drier sheets in the camper,pontoon,ranger bass boat,Harley's,street Rod,I even put them under the atv's and UTVs covers never had a issue but tree rats can be a challenge.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Moth balls and fabric sheets are effective but they only last so long. Moth balls need to changed after 3-4 months and the same goes for fabric sheets. Ammonia is also very effective but there are a few helpful tips to follow when using these items.

1) Try to place these items where mice may enter your garage or vehicle.
2) Open containers for moth balls and ammonia are more effective.
3) If safety is a factor because of kids and pets use mason jars or plastic pill bottles with large enough holes in the caps so the smell is able to permeate the area.
4) Fabric sheets placed on the floor of your vehicle has an added benefit of making your vehicle smell nice but do this in addition to item #1.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
interesting thought.... A car cover that comes with a full size sticky trap to go all the way around the perimeter of the car. Guaranteed to catch all the mice and possibly your small children but that seems like a win/win to me to keep the ankle biters away as well. I think I will submit an idea for the shark tank show.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Glueboards,snap traps and poison along with proper exclusion. I do this for a living dryer sheets and peppermint oil work just about as good as the ultrasonic noise makers (not at all). Besides you aren't going to attack the population by doing any of these.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We have a few ferrel cats in the neighborhood that took care of the mice that used to come from the wooded areas seeking shelter @ this time of year. I mostly hate cats but if I see one hanging around my property I don't chase them away anymore. Cats>Mice by a slight margin.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well if ya don't like cats you can always go to snakes! I use to own a snake and sneeze when I see a cat on tv so I know I would be considered weird(again) but they work....

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
fbbb36d9413a1d5562976a79c3c6bac1.jpg

Yo dawg, we heard you hate mice. So we put a cobra in your cobra, so you can...

---***STRIKE***---

8806e1f960dcf30b03868aa061c171a7.jpg

Umm....drive to the hospital..

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glue boards are okay, but I've had too many mice escape them to continue wasting money on them. I choose not to use poisons because the little bastards eat the poison, and then die somewhere. Then you have to deal with the smell of rotting carcasses. The electronic traps and live traps seem to be a waste of money as well with only limited effectiveness.

Snap traps still remain to be (in my opinion) the most effective way to stop mice. I use a bunch of them at the warehouse to catch mice, especially in the late fall and winter because they come inside for shelter. I keep a jar of peanut butter on hand to bait the traps and then check all of them once per day and re-bait the traps that haven't seen any activity in a while once the peanut butter dries up. Snap traps are cheap (usually only a dollar or two each) and you can re-use them over and over again.

ranger56528

Reaction score
Bounce Dryer Sheets,been useing them in my boats,Harley's,camper for over 15 years and never have had a issue,striped gophers and tree rats take a little more work but normally dryer sheets work,we also use them at the Boat shop too.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Second for the Oil of Peppermint. I have used it for the past 3 years and not had an issue, and the car smells good in the spring. Just some cotton balls, cheap Tupperware form the dollar store and a bottle of "Oil of Peppermint" and good to go. Keeps the rodents away. I also took a few rags and put oil on them and stuffed em in the exhaust pipes to preclude rodents from nesting in the exhaust.