winter time build

schacher94gt

Reaction score
With right around the corner I have to start thinking about building my GT

To start its a 94 GT with a 98 cobra motor and a v1 with 10 psi. I know for sure thats its gunna get forged internals just need some help on what whats cheaper, a kit or buying individual? Also, what brand do you recommend?

Next, Ive been thinking maybe doing a 5.0 stroker kit, LTs, intercooler, and an H pipe. Modmaxracing makes a kit for 1800 plus 250 for full balanced which looks really good to me right now. That kit lowers the compression to 9.10 so I might be able to push 15 psi when said and done.

let me know what you guys think im open to all and any suggestions and advice(first 4v). Id like to be able to keep the build under 3.5k and would like to put somewhere around the 550 rwhp on pump gas.

thanks

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
it should be really capable because a stroker kit im looking at is for 1800 plus headers, mid pipe and intercooler

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
$1800 for a stroker kit
$250 for balancing
$400+ for Lt
$150+ for a o/r H-Pipe $750.00+ for a catted H-Pipe
$??? for block machine work
$??? head work
$??? intercooler
$??? Injectors
$??? Blower cams
$??? tune

Adds up quick.

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
$1800 for a stroker kit
$250 for balancing
$400+ for Lt
$??? head work
$??? intercooler
$??? Injectors
$??? Blower cams
$??? tune

$1800 for a stroker kit
$250 for balancing
$400+ for Lt
$150+ for a o/r H-Pipe
i have 42lb injectors
$18 a hole for machine work
$200 for a intercooler
$500 for tune
no need for head work or blower cams

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good luck! my mod build went from $10,000.00 to closer to $15,000.00 really really really quick..... i guess if you plan ahead a little better than I did, you will have a better estimate, but alot of things will pop up on you.

sounds like you may know your way around cars pretty well. 1994GT with a 1998 4V swap is quite the accomplishment.

Lthl03Vert

Reaction score
You guys, he's already got the block and the s/c, all he basically needs to do is pull out all the internals and replace them, get the heads checked by a reputable machine shop then put it all back together. He bought this car as a 1994 mustang gt swapped over to a 1998 cobra motor with a v-1. So i think 3.5k-5k should be able to cover his ground.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, im one of those people who, while im there, will change things... i would replace the timing equipment, gaskets, and maybe even have the blower re-worked. as i said in my post, he doesnt seem new to cars, so he should have a fun time on the build. I hope he stays in budget and keeps us posted with lots of pictures.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
schacher94gt said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:
$1800 for a stroker kit
$250 for balancing
$400+ for Lt
$??? head work
$??? intercooler
$??? Injectors
$??? Blower cams
$??? tune

$1800 for a stroker kit
$250 for balancing
$400+ for Lt
$150+ for a o/r H-Pipe
i have 42lb injectors
$18 a hole for machine work
$200 for a intercooler
$500 for tune
no need for head work or blower cams

What you have listed there puts you just below your 3.5k.

Does that intercooler include piping? seems cheap.

How many miles on the engine before teardown?

Lthl03Vert

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
well, im one of those people who, while im there, will change things... i would replace the timing equipment, gaskets, and maybe even have the blower re-worked. as i said in my post, he doesnt seem new to cars, so he should have a fun time on the build. I hope he stays in budget and keeps us posted with lots of pictures.
I totally agree with the tensioners and gaskets but as for the blower, i think she should be fine, but i would have the heads taken in to check for guide wear and clearances.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay well ill take a crack at this. cuz as it seems im with matt and chris. shit adds up fast. i would personally go with the livernois 298ci stroker kit but thats just me. as for other things when u go to intercooler set up do u plan on keeping it draw through maf or switching over to blow through. also i dont see gaskets listed in ur parts list, arp head studs, new side bolts, the list goes on, also ur machining price seems cheap, id make sure he knows what he is doing since it doesnt take much to mess up a teskid block. also while ur heads are off u should really send them out to at least be cleaned and decked to make sure they will be perfect, then since ur in there doing all this id suggest the mmr imrc deletes they are verynice and if u decide to do any porting later on u can have them ported to match. thats just for starters, >3500 seems cheap for what u are wanting and is damn near impossible to accomplish just because of all the stuff you will actually need. just a friendly fyi.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
you wont be under 800 for machine work on a teksid block. Everyone seems to forget there are different procedures for the aluminum block (which is fairly "fussy" to machine) to be machined and also assembly is different. If you think you can do it for that cheap, good luck but I dont see this happening...

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
so im throwing around the idea of doing a high compression low boost build, much like a mach 1

i def dont want to do the stroker because of the fact that you dont get the milage out of them. So something like a 10.3-10.5 compression what would be the highest psi i could get away with without running and intercooler. My other to major parts would be headers and h pipe

massacre

Reaction score
I would not boost any modular motor without some form of intercooler, whether it be air/air, water/air, or chemical.

Just my .02

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
a dealer on svtperformance is running this deal:
Option 3: Get the MMR 4340 Forged H beam Rods with ARP Bolts rated to 900 RWHP and ANY compression ratio Manley Pistons with tool steel pins and Total Seal Rings for only $999

so far ive been checking around on my LTs and mid pipe and i can get good used ones for 400 at the max
I should be ok with the 42lb injectors and tuesday im going down to talk to my tuner about my fuel pump and what he would recommend on a high compression mid boost level build

OP
OP
S

schacher94gt

Reaction score
talked to the guys at house of boost and im going to end up doing 10.0 and 10lbs of IC boost. im going to have to run 60lb injectors, so if anyone wants some 42s i got em. Next is my 255 high flow pump, ive heard it might get the job done but im thinking of putting a inline pump in too

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i just finished rebuilding my 32v mod motor last summer. i was under 3.5k but i already had a second Teksid block, a complete forged rotating assembly (JE pistons, Eagle Hbeam rods, stock crank) and ARP everything. just to balance everything, machine the block, mildly port the heads, new valve guides + seals, all brand new gaskets, new pickup tube + oil pump, new rings + main bearings, rod bearings, etc...

that was all close to 2500, maybe 3000 dollars. (not including rotating assembly, block, arp bolts)

and just a suggestion. i hope you plan on going ARP (head studs, main studs, rod bolts, crank bolt) when you plan on putting a blower on it at 15psi. just the four bolt kits from ARP will cost you close to 600 dollars.

i doubt you will get everything finished for 3.5k dollars.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
People who build an aluminum block on a budget, hasnt done it before or dont have alot of extra parts to use.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
People who build an aluminum block on a budget, hasnt done it before or dont have alot of extra parts to use.
so true ~faints~ ... im one of those people i been building mine for 2 years now and nearly completed. machining is close to 650 depending on the shop. my build is almost 1 off. close to duff's but different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online