Winter Wonderland

97stangthang

Reaction score
This is my first post here. So, I am looking to buy a black 97 mustang gt with 99,000 miles for 6k. But my parents don't want me to get a rwd car. I love mustangs so much i don't think i could live with having to drive something else. I live in snowy Minnesota and my parents are afraid of the safety issues with rwd and snow. I have already been driving through 2 winters and i know how to drive smart. The thing is that out of 6 months of winter my roads aren't actually plowed for about 20 days. So there is hardly any snow actually on the roads. Is there any advice you could give me on winter driving with rwd so i can persuade my parents to let me buy this car?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hurmm mabye with some good snowtires they wont be bad? DONT GET ME WRONG I want you to buy a stang but honestly they are horrible in the snow, but I have only driven mine in the snow with summer tires and man it was just a joke lol. Rear end is too light for the power they have. But I bet with some sandbags in the ass and good snowtires it will be just fine.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
With a new diff mine was fine in the snow, I only drove it if I absolutely had to though. I keep it in storage from early october to late march. I'd say find a pos winter beater, and break out the mustang every spring like most of us do. This winter I drove an 87 corolla, worked fine for me. Plus with the stang off insurance, I saved up cash and got 4.10s in the spring.

ALITL8

Reaction score
97stangthang said:
Is there any advice you could give me on winter driving with rwd so i can persuade my parents to let me buy this car?

yep, like 94gtstang5o said, get a real cheap little truck or fwd car for the winter season and talk the person selling the Stang down on price ;D if im not mistaken blue book on a 97 GT is like $4500-$5500 depending on mileage and condition... check it out at http://www.kbb.com.

we recently bought my oldest daughter (almost 16) a 97 GT auto, mac pro chamber, flowmaster dumps, cool blue air fliter and pulleys for $5000... it may also have gears :dunno: she will not be driving when the weather is bad (rain/snow/sleet).

also for anyone else that see's this, the reason i havent said anything about the second GT in our family is because its an AUTOMATIC!!! here's a pic... its in need of a drop!! i dont know why it sits so high so dont ask... there another reason i havent said anything about it :-[

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

STNG_96

Reaction score
Hey, theres nothing wrong with that white auto gt!!

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I buy all my cars using edmunds.com's pricing guide. KBB is the average asking price, edmunds is the actual value, and the one that the dealers use is even lower. I wouldn't pay 6K for a GT with that many miles, mine was 4K at 100,000 miles. Maybe if it was a cobra, 6k would be worth it. Here's the link for edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html

OP
OP

97stangthang

Reaction score
Ya i will definitly start with 6k or lower asking price thanks for that link

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yup, edmunds is the shiznit. Its saved me thousands of $$$ and helped me not get burnt.

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks for the link 5o!

you know im just giving you auto guys a hard time. honestly, im not real happy with the appearance of the white one... maybe its just cause it sits so high :dunno: also, the hood is OEM aftermaket and they didnt line it up right with the fenders, the original seperated or something ???

its an alright car for an auto and when she learns to drive a stick i've got an extra t-45 sitting in the garage. its got fresh paint, new tires, new shocks and struts, runs good and has a couple of decent bolt ons... we drove it from DFW to OKC with no issues. i'd give it a "good" condition rating.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
Hey, theres nothing wrong with that white auto gt!!
No doubt!

Hey, just get studded tires for the snow, run your regulars the rest of the year. you'll be fine.

OP
OP

97stangthang

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for everything. You all have been a lot of help. Looks like my parents had a change of mind and i am probly gettin the stang. I'm sooo excited. Can't wait to get behind the wheel!

94gtstang50

Reaction score
oh, you'll love it. I was grinning ear to ear first time I test drove mine, and still do every time I get on it.

ALITL8

Reaction score
yep, i was out grinnin in ours this morning ;D

96sohc

Reaction score
I was in a similar predicament before I bought my 96.
I had been looking for about a year at 60-70's mustangs, camaros, mopars, etc..
The parents didn't want me to have something that old, as they felt it'd be more work than it was worth..
So they made me a deal on the 96, and here I am.
I made a verbal agreement with my father that if I was ever caught speeding or given a moving violation, the car would go.
I've only driven the 96 in the snow maybe 3 times, and all were coming home from school early due to snow, so I didn't willingly drive it in the snow.
It didn't do bad, but it certainly wasn't easy, even with an automatic and no power it took VERY lttle for the rear end to step out, something I would not like
to do again.
So, to sum it up, the way I was able to have a "powerful" car is that I made deals with my parents, had to keep the grades, pay for insurance, etc.. and they
were all fine with it. Good luck I know it was a happy day for me when I got behind the wheel of the 96 for the first time.

And by the way, there is nothing wrong with an automatic.
I'm running as fast as an NPI 5 speed, with stock gears, what!

ALITL8

Reaction score
96sohc said:

im just giving you auto guys a hard time :hammer:

96sohc

Reaction score
s'all good.
Thats why I'm glad I did the PI Intake conversion, my car now makes the power it should.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
96sohc said:

im just giving you auto guys a hard time :hammer:

glad I have a stick again ;D

ALITL8

Reaction score
96sohc said:
s'all good.
Thats why I'm glad I did the PI Intake conversion, my car now makes the power it should.

what are your times at the track again? i dont have PI anything and ran a 14.95 @ 93.5 with a 2.23 60'. if i can get a better 60', like a flat 2.0, i'll run a 14.4 - 14.5 (NPI, CAI, O/R H, Pulleys and gears). im looking for high 13's, low 14's after the PI upgrade and a tune ;D

that said, if you had a stall converter and shift kit you'd probably beat me (with equal mods) ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.