Wiring for Power Seats, 94 Vert

jun10r

Reaction score
Ok, just got the Mustang so I am reading and learning as fast as I can! So if I missed a link, my apologies, but I did search and read the threads that I could find.

So here is my current situation:

I have two switches, one is the lumber, simple back/forth, honestly no idea if it works, I don't feel anything, not worried about it at the moment.

The second switch is the 4 way "joystick" and for some reason it is just dangling/tucked under my seat. Not sure if that was supposed to be hooked up solid, but whatever.

So of the four directions... pressing "up" (relative) the seat raises UP. Pressing "right" the seat actually come back down?

Pressing down, nothing

Pressing Left.. I can hear the motor running, but does not move forward or backwards.

So I think I have "two" problems. One is the switch could be bad, or just wired wrong?

Second is likely the gears in the seat forward/back. I found the link in earlier searches for repair kit.
http://www.2men1garage.net/Ford-Mustang-1994---1998-Parts.html

I even found a replacement 4 way switch but $200!!? Crikey!

When I turned it over I see five wires coming in all told, I tried to be smart/(stupid) and use a screwdriver to cross from what I was guessing a hot wire to the ground and got spark. And...then blew the fuse. (For some reason the fuse was 30a instead of the 20a listed in my owners manual...?)

SO my question (finally!!) is this. Is there really any reason the four way joystick could not be replace with two "simple" switches? I am not an electrician by any means, but I would have to think I have 4 hot wires in and a ground. So in theory Hot Wire A + Ground would be say "up" Hot B + Ground would be "down" (C/D being forward and back?)

Thus if I split the ground.. so each simple two way switch had a ground... that should work? Switches are dirt cheap, $200+ is insane unless you are just going for easy / plug and play right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for help and thoughts on this!! I do accounting for a living so feel free to make fun of my theory, skill set or such too!

Jr

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Any idea what the name or type of switch this is. I am seeing the term joystick used, momentary, 4 way (and five way because it returns to neutral automatically) I really think I can wire in a new switch (or switches) and if so I will write up an article for our tech section.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
I ordered some on off on switches to try out and a mirror switch too. As we try these out I will write them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online

No members online now.