Wiring help needed!!

Werecow

Reaction score
To try and make a long story short, I just purchased my pony and I'm riding back to my place with the 'dude' I bought it from, just cause I really value my license and it's still got the tags from his state on it, (what? Me officer??) And he then tells me the dash doesn't work on it. FML.. I look over, it's working fine. (Thank the gods the needles at least look like they are not all pegged out or on 0 oil pressure right?) That's the only time I see the dash work on it.. My ex-wife (no we do get along now, no shit!!) Was helping me out with it a few days later, she pushes in the clutch pedal and enough wires fall out of the dashboard to rewire most of southern California... Needless to say never see the dash work again.. so I try to shove meself under there to leek at it and find this( see pic) I think oh shit... I don't have a clicker for this thing, I don't even have door keys!! If I cut the wrong shit it's never gnna turn over, send power to the fuel pump or one of 12,000,000 other things that keep it from behind a huge doorstop... Soooo everything under the dash has been left alone till I can figger out what to do with it.. the interweb gods have been silent in helping me out with this.. so dear forum readers? What say you all?? IMG_20191221_111138461.jpg IMG_20191221_111200527.jpg

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Thaynx a bunch white95!! I debated on it or not but I appreciate the save!!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Is this your daily driver or just your new project?

That alarm or whatever old school Viper device is my first suspect. You can trace the Viper’s wires to where they’re connected/spliced into the car’s harness and make notes of their colors. We can figure out what they tapped into that way. Wiring sucks but we don’t mind answering questions.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh sry, no it's a project.... It starts ok,fuel pump pumps, all that just dead dash and when that fell out along with the rest of it I was really afraid to mess w much under there as I'm not familiar with car alarms and I couldn't find much online about that model of Viper. I didn't even know if it was part of the wireless doorlocks or security that may have come with it...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I’m with Scott. Have you checked for a blown fuse yet? I’d start there. What about twisting the headlight knob to see if the dimmer is just turned down?

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh the gauges are dead,no sweeps on them at all, I have checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash, that was one of the first things we did. We found about 7 or 8 fuses that were blown, if you can believe that!! And yes that's another wires thing, once we got all the fuses fixed, the dome light, trunk light, door chime, electric seat all of those things started working, but the dash lights never worked, even when the gauges did work that one time it was dead. Of course it did have all those fuses blown at that time.. Sheesh, gremlins....

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh, I could care less if it has an alarm,it's got a busted windshield, long tube headers and just a pair of bullets on it for mufflers that are louder than just straight headers! On top of that I've got a state trooper living across the road from me, so I really doubt that anyone will be able to sneak it out! I keep it pulled up on a pair of ramps just in case anyway.. in case someone get any ideas they wanna go for a joyride.. it'll look like it's still got something being worked on under it.. no radio in it either so nothing inside it to steal. And we do have bears that wander around here when they get hungry.. so, no worries aboot an alarm eh?

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
I'll be able to go out and try to get a lil work done in it Tuesday, weather and my back permitting, I do plan on yanking out the offending black box, and then pulling the gauge cluster out to see if in fact it's still plugged in. I really do appreciate all the helps and suggestions, I'll admit I started to phreak out a bit when I found that thing, in my ignorance I thought it was something that came from the factory, and I couldn't find anything on the interwebs aboot it. My Haynes book never mentioned anything aboot it either. Cheers to all and I'll update with news and maybe pics of my findings asap!

ModalMustang

Reaction score
I hate when previous owners put car alarms , there always just a mess. We took out an early 90s perimeter alarm system out of my brothers foxbody and it was a nightmare to remove. It had sensors you would have to install. Similar to this one but if you walked to close it would tell you to go away

Something was spliced into the covertible wiring apparently cause ever since i pulled it out, it hasnt worked. So maybe thats what happened to your dash some splice got disconected? Noone ever seems to wire them up properly

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I hate when previous owners put car alarms , there always just a mess. We took out an early 90s perimeter alarm system out of my brothers foxbody and it was a nightmare to remove. It had sensors you would have to install. Similar to this one but if you walked to close it would tell you to go away

Something was spliced into the covertible wiring apparently cause ever since i pulled it out, it hasnt worked. So maybe thats what happened to your dash some splice got disconected? Noone ever seems to wire them up properly
unless they just tapped power at the harness there is no part of alarm wiring that goes into the vert wiring. Pulling alarms is 100x easier than installing them properly. Have you started simple and just checked your fuses?

ModalMustang

Reaction score
unless they just tapped power at the harness there is no part of alarm wiring that goes into the vert wiring. Pulling alarms is 100x easier than installing them properly. Have you started simple and just checked your fuses?
Yeah all the fuses are fine on it we checked them and changed one, but it was for something else. The fox is a wiring mess though. Theres a few other things under the dash someone messed with

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Alllllllrighty then.... I'ma have to break this down into 2 parts just to give my thumbs a break and cause it's gonna be a tale not for the weak of heart... So now we're gonna cut the dreaded Viper alarm from the pony... K so just to be sure I cranked it up first without changing anything... No problems other than pig fat like normal , so unplug one Jack from "Viper".. Try to crank it... Still cranks up!! Getting my hopes up!! Unplug second plug from "Viper" still cranks up!! Door still chimes, shit still works... As it does... I go for the last plug... Door chimes when I put the key in, turn key... Dead as a Chevy on a cold winter day.... Nothing.. no click no nothing.... Phuck... Cross my fingers I don't have a landscape project now... Plug it back in... Crunks right back up... (insert miracle here). I leave that alone while I'm ahead on that end.... I leave to you dear forum readers... 2 enclosed pics.. the first is the ratsnest of wires I have now under my dash and attacking my clutch pedal, and the second is the plug.... the danmed plug that I'm stuck with and the frakkin box!!!!!!!. FML no1... Part 2 to come... IMG_20200225_152311077.jpg IMG_20200225_152222999.jpg

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Fraaaaaack.... Put in the rong pic for pic no.1 lemme try that agn... Annnd side note... This unit came from the factory with an AOD. It's been cobbled up rather unceremoniously and with not too much care into a T-5 conversation.. ie, all the wires that ahold have been plugged in somewhere for like a speedometer to work were just cut under the car, I found one pigtail hanging by one wire and the other had already burned in two under it.. the pigtail for the transmission range sensor is still there, so maybe still hope I can figger out how to wire that into the reverse light switch one day... So no there's no clutch safety switch or neutral safety switch... Just kick it outta gear and twist the key, so nothing there to throw off any wiring with the starting circuit..IMG_20200225_152348263.jpg

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
follow the orange wire in the harness to the relay on the end of it. That is the starter kill relay. If you look where it is connected you sill see where the stock starter wire was cut and the relay put inline. reconnect the starter wire

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
I may be missing it, but I don't see an orange wire plugged into it, or am I looking at the wrong thing? Is this one plugged into the box? Then out to a relay that blocks the starter if I'm reading you right? If it has any bearing on anything dunno if it does.. it's got "Mach 460" sound speakers so idk if this was something that came with that or a frakkin dealer thing..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online