Wiring Problem with 1995 GT

Vettn71

Reaction score
Hi, y'all!! Just purchased a 1995 GT convertible. 45,000 mile car, but it sat in the Florida sun for several years. Paint and interior are rough.

My problem is that there was an aftermarket alarm system installed at some point. The car has no parking lights and no horn. I located where the alarm was tied into the electrical system, which was at the left kick panel. There was a relay spliced into two pink wires (14 AWG) and removed the relay. I thought that was the wires for the tail lights, but there's no power on either wire.

Could use some guidance as to where to look for the problems. I hate aftermarket alarms. This one was really a Harry Homeowner special, too

Regards
Jim

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Did you check the fuses? Light bulbs? Check the wiring harness in the trunk to make sure thats all good? I hope someone wouldn't install an alarm system that screwed that up and not fix it...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION], you have some experience with car alarms if I recall correctly - granted there's probably not enough info here yet to set you in the right direction, but anything he said sound somewhat familiar to you based on your previous experiences?

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Fuses are all good (inside and under hood). I ran a fused wire from the battery to the lights and they work fine. Nothing was done in the trunk area. Seems it was all at the kick panel

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the pink wires that the relays were tied into are the lock wires. If they worked before, and you removed the relays but didn't reconnect the wired that the relays separated now your locks will not work at all. There should be a pink with a yellow stripe and a pink/green. Try to reconnect those wires and see if they work then.

pull the gauge shroud(two screws facing up) and you will probably see the white alarm wire going into the brown parking light wire. Make sure it is connected and you can test for power on the brown wire too see if the switch is sending out power.

More then likely the rest of the alarm is tied into the main ignition hrns under the steering column. take that out and follow the wires and you can cut/insulate them. There might be one more relay up under the column for the starter kill and if there is I would probably just leave it there, or be sure to reconnect the wire it interrupts or your car will not start.

Take some pics of what you have and it will help a lot.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am disabled and as long as my chrones is not flairing up I am free to help answer questions on a real-time situation through pm's or something else. I have +12 exp in auto sound/security and my 94 was in fact the first alarm I ever installed.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Well, I was able to determine the problem with my parking lights. The connector tot he headlight switch was fried. It annealed a wire back about 6", so I had to pull the dash to get to everything and make sure there wasn't more damage. That was more of a job than I expected. I still don't know why my horn doesn't work, but it is probably unrelated to the parking light issue.

ttocs, thanks for the suggestions and offer to help.

Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cool so the lights are on... Now for the horn. Did you check all the fuses under the hood and the dash?

Saint

Reaction score
Well, I was able to determine the problem with my parking lights. The connector tot he headlight switch was fried. It annealed a wire back about 6", so I had to pull the dash to get to everything and make sure there wasn't more damage. That was more of a job than I expected. I still don't know why my horn doesn't work, but it is probably unrelated to the parking light issue.

ttocs, thanks for the suggestions and offer to help.

Jim

That is a recurring issue....Most stangs I've head of burning up the headlight switch will keep burning up headlight switches until you correct the issue with the wiring.

As for the horn....don't think I've ever been in a 94/94 where the horn worked...could have been in an accident and has no horn

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
That is a recurring issue....Most stangs I've head of burning up the headlight switch will keep burning up headlight switches until you correct the issue with the wiring.

As for the horn....don't think I've ever been in a 94/94 where the horn worked...could have been in an accident and has no horn

The car hasn't been in an accident. Original fenders/paint. I changed out the dashboard, putting in a 98 dash. Pulled my harness out and went over it, rewrapping the harness and repaired the burnt wire. Car sat for several years in the Florida sun. Dash was partially melted on the passengers side, so hard to say what problems could be lurking. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the horns yet. Maybe next weekend. I think ill
start at the horns and make sure they work, then move to the relay and then the horn button. I think I'll find the problem in the horn button, but want to make sure the other parts are working first.

you say you haven't been in a 94/95 where the horn worked. What was the most common issue with those cras?

Jim

ElKabong197

Reaction score

Mine works !!!!! 220k miles, but my fogs don't

Sent from my Galaxy S fizzledizzle using Tapatizzile Twizzle

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Got the horn working today. I noticed the relay wasn't working, so I pulled the air bag, burnished the contacts and adjusted a couple so they were closer. Works great!! Thanks for all the input

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online