Witch gear would be best

Dakota shrum

Reaction score
I like to go on twisty back roads for the most part and track days I'm in the middle of a rebuild and want to replace the stock gears since I'm taking the rear end apart anyway. So I'm looking for good out of corner acceleration without tanking my gas mileage to bad. What do you guys think

AStangThang

Reaction score
Some info needed brother. Auto? Stick? Cams? Power level? N/A? Blown? ECT.. But just a guess I like a 3.55 gear, but that's me(on the highway a lot), most would say a 3.73, or 4.10(auto). It really depends what you want. How much do you really go to the track? I'm not a track guy, I'm a street guy so I like the twisties myself, and road racing, but I will line it up no problem.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I put 3.73's in my old 98 and the mpg's went up. It was a 5 speed and I was on the freeway at least 5 days a week. I thought it was a good gear for that car. But I never raced it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As noted, we will need some more info. That said, I am a major preacher of don't fear the gear. Especially if it's your fun car and not a daily. I am happy I went with 4.10 - probably because my car is so slow but it's fun to just hammer it down everywhere. You feel more "involved" shifting a bit more.

Then you turn into Vin Diesel.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I started out with the stock 2.73. Talk about running a gear out forever! Although with the 5.4l swap, the 2.73 favored well, but i still wasnt getting into the band i wanted when in 3rd gear. So i swapped to a 3.55. I feel its a good balance between WOT and cruising

AStangThang

Reaction score
Have you took this particular car to the track yet? If so, is a 1/8 mile or 1/4, because you need to hear it to the track you'll be running at. Figure out where your shifts points are, what gear is your tranny in, and what's the rpm when you cross the finish line. Write all this info down along with everything I stated in my first post above, and then get back to use.✌

AStangThang

Reaction score
Or.... you could just get a 3.55. In my very first post I mentioned a 3.55, and 96black54 said a 3.55 also. Thats 2 stang owners suggests it. I'm a stang owner of 19 years, and I know 96black54 probably has the same or more. Get that info in my above post and then my very first post. Get back to use.✌

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online