wont go into gear, changed clutch cable, help.

RCSB

Reaction score
Hello, just joined. Recently bought a 95 Mustang GT 5 speed. When i picked it up it drove fine at first, but after driving a while it became very difficult to get into gear. It was fine the next day but happened again after driving a while. Considering the car has 173,000 miles I decided to replace the clutch cable. I installed the maximum motorsports cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster. Now when i start the car it goes into every gear but only if i keep the clutch pedal down after the engine starts. If i release the pedal i can't get into any gear. I adjusted the cable several times with no change. There is also a loud squeak and then a click when pressing the pedal down(engine on and off). What do you think is causing this? Thanks.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a buddy to sit in the car, preferably on a lift, and work the clutch while you adjust the cable until it engages/releases at the proper point.

I know you said you adjusted it but how did you do so?

OP
OP
R

RCSB

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a buddy to sit in the car, preferably on a lift, and work the clutch while you adjust the cable until it engages/releases at the proper point.

I know you said you adjusted it but how did you do so?

I turned the firewall adjuster until there was no slack in the cable. When that didnt work i tightened it much more and after that i let all the slack out. Either way it would only go into gear when i restarted the car and kept the clutch pedal down.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Your best bet is always a stock cable. The adjustable stuff adds an extra variable that leads to headaches. You may need to play around with the cable length to find the sweet spot.

I had an adjustable cable with my 5.0 combination and it was always a PITA.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Never use adjustable cables. They always end up stretching and some have been known to break.

Use the ford oem cables with the firewall adjuster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RCSB

Reaction score
The kit i installed uses a ford oem cable. I just checked something else, I held the clutch down and after about 10 seconds and i was able to shift through all gears. Once i let off the clutch i had to again press it in for about 10 seconds and was able to shift all gears. Do you think its the TOB, clutch or something else? Thanks.

OP
OP
R

RCSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, ill check that in a few days when i have some time. Ill update on what i find.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Throw out bearing makes noise when ready to die. But as white said, it’s starting to sound like a worn pressure plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What about the clutch fork falling off the pivot ball? That is a very good possibility seeing that you were down there messing with the cable. Push in on the end of the fork and make sure its all the way up inside the transmission.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
One more possibility
make sure your bolts on clutch are not backing out
ran into that problem , the guy that was helping me did not torque the clutch bolts , it would not go into gear unless you shut it off

OP
OP
R

RCSB

Reaction score
UPDATE: Pressure plate was the main issue but everything was pretty worn out. car drives great now. Thanks for help.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sweet! Im happy the folk here on the forums could help you out! We all are a good bunch of guys.

Dont be a stranger tho!

Post up a build thread! Take some pictures! Hang out

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Touch Red

Members online