wont start will start, suddenly die...WTH!

okiemike

Reaction score
I am new to this site so bear with me if i am not in the right section.

Ok so i just bought a 95' mustang GT. This car is beautiful. has a v-2 supercharger kit, saleen body kit...etc

i had to drive it 250 miles back home after the purchase. It ran like a dream.

I have since had a couple no starts. Go to start it and it will turn over but not fire up. try it again after a few and it fires right up, and runs great and strong.

I have also had it just die while driving suddenly and coasted, popped clutch and fires back up and runs fine. But sometimes it will take an hour or so to start back up.

so i have replaced the coil and also had the ignition control module tested and after the 4th test it failed. thought for sure this was going to be the issue. still doing the same exact thing.

so here is the test i just performed while it wasnt starting yesterday..
i let it idle for 30 min, and it finally acted up and just died. didnt choke or anything just died.

ok, so here is where i am at with this... i need some expert advise!

Pulled ignition control module. THis is a 95 so not on the dizzy. Anyway after they tested it 3 times and it was good, the 4th it failed. so i assumed this was the issue. Still have the exact same problem.

Here is what i did after the car died.

Hooked up timing light, no spark on plug wires when cranking engine. However on the coil wire when i turn ignition to on position i get 1 immediate flash then timing light goes off again when cranking. What does this mean?

i have replaced the coil, and icm now. The car has a vortech supercharger system and so it has the vortech (msd) ignition/boost control. could this be failing, or should i be looking at pip in dizzy? how can i eliminate this?

TanTop94

Reaction score
Id look into replacing the whole distributor with a new one, no reman, seems like it could be the problem from having it suddenly die on you while driving or idling. Are the no starts happening while the motor is still hot? I had my pip go out on me and it would really only do it while the motor was hot. First start it would be fine though but your problem might have progressed pass the stage mine was at cause I know they only get worse as time goes on.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
agreed. replace the dizzy. it's a common prob with the 5.0's Remanned ones are hit miss whether they'll last for long or not.

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
yes it only does it while hot. Never had it happen after sitting all night. after letting it idle, or driving.
anyway to check to be sure??

should i get one at summit?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
A few guys recomended a Rich Porter brand dizzy. It's new and less than $100.
The problem with Summit parts is they only offer a 1 year warrenty on parts.
The other parts houses offer a lifetime warrenty on the exact same part.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
My car would do this when it needed to relearn the idle and chip. Always happened when i unplugged the battery for more than a minute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online