Won't start

squirlye

Reaction score
After my 96 GT broke the front left ball joint. I towed it home and started my brake and suspension upgrade. And since it was down for awhile ( 1-1/2 years now) I decided to fix my A/C and replace every steering component. Also I decided to put in a Steeda underdrive system. So here is what is completely baffling me. The gas tank is about half full. knowing it was going to sit awhile I added a can of seafoam. So now to present time. I decide I should probably start the car up since it was sitting for awhile. I put a new battery in, shot a little bit of starting fluid in one of the vacuum lines off of the CAI. I cranked it over and nothing. Tried it again and still nothing. It was making no sense at all to me. Even if the gas was bad it should started up with just the starting fluid. So after I tried it again I noticed the anti theft light was flashing. I've seen this once before after disconnecting my battery. So I knew I had to reset my key. So I left the key in the run position for 20 minutes. Now the light quit blinking and I tried it again. And it didn't start, nothing not even a stumble. So where should I start ? All of the wires and coils are only a year old. It just drives me crazy tring to figure this out. I'm assuming it is something electrical. But I guess it could be anything. So any ideas people ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that seafoam was used to keep fuel from fouling out? I know they make a few different chemicals to do this but I thought seafoam was just for cleaning? Have you tried fresh gas? Probably need a filter as well

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sea foam is not meant to be used like stable. It is a fuel system cleaner and will break down in gasoline over long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought maybe there was a little side note about this that I had missed. I would start by draining the tank, replace the filter and go from there. You can test this theory by hooking up an alternative gas source if you have the means but if I am reading this right a can of seafoam + half a tank of gas + long time cannot equal happiness I would think.

OP
OP
squirlye

squirlye

Reaction score
Even though it has old gas and sea foam. It’s not a fuel problem you guys didn’t read the post very carefully. I sprayed starting fluid in the cold air intake. Ether is extremely flammable. A car will start with just starting fluid, won’t run good or for very long. But it’s a good test to see if it is getting spark. So I already had an idea that it is not getting spark. I just thought maybe someone here had a similar experience. But I always appreciate everyone’s input.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Total shot in the dark here. Check the main harness connector up by the firewall and make sure the captured bolt holding the two halves together is fully tightened.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its easy enough to test for no spark with either a timing light or by pulling a plug to check. If that is what you suspect then start there.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Might as well check all the fuses and the inertia switch. Im guessing its turning over but not starting? Is the fuel pump priming?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even though it has old gas and sea foam. It’s not a fuel problem you guys didn’t read the post very carefully. I sprayed starting fluid in the cold air intake. Ether is extremely flammable. A car will start with just starting fluid, won’t run good or for very long. But it’s a good test to see if it is getting spark. So I already had an idea that it is not getting spark. I just thought maybe someone here had a similar experience. But I always appreciate everyone’s input.

Nope, I read it very well. I was just explaining what seafoam wasn’t for. [emoji38]

As Scott said, check for spark.

OP
OP
squirlye

squirlye

Reaction score
852A9BDA-4108-4CC4-A6C6-2874A97A58A2.jpeg Nope your still wrong.
Nope, I read it very well. I was just explaining what seafoam wasn’t for. [emoji38]

PinkieT

Reaction score
Sea foam is not meant to be used like stable. It is a fuel system cleaner and will break down in gasoline over long periods of time.

I sell a buttload of Seafoam at work. Yep, it is a fuel stabilizer like squirlye said. Once I run out of my Sta-Bil, I'm going with Seafoam.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 1783 Nope your still wrong.

Wow.......your total of 9 post in 5 years just absolutely gives me total confidence in your superior knowledge..........or lack there of!!

Just because something is written on a label doesn’t make it great at doing that.

Ask any mechanic who’s had to deal with damaged fuel lines after seafoam had sat in them too long and dried them out. Ask marine technicians how many boat motors have had issues after using it as a fuel stabilizer over winter or longer.

Seafoam is great at cleaning shit up. I’m not denying that. I’ve smoke bombed a neighborhood or too decarbing motors with seafoam. But something that is that strong of a detergent is too strong to remain in the fuel system for too long. It’s been known to cause issues from this use. That’s why stabil and marine stabil aren’t high detergent and are a glycol solvent. The higher oil content helps stabil keep from damaging fuel lines, fuel injector o rings and other seals.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All that work under the carand around the crank pulley may have pulled a wire from the crank trigger sensor. A faulty signal from the crank trigger will definitely cause a no start

OP
OP
squirlye

squirlye

Reaction score
All that work under the carand around the crank pulley may have pulled a wire from the crank trigger sensor. A faulty signal from the crank trigger will definitely cause a no start
THANK YOU finally some actual help. This is the type of response I was looking for when I came here for advice. Not some bullshit response from a moderator that doesn't like being corrected.

OP
OP
squirlye

squirlye

Reaction score
Wow.......your total of 9 post in 5 years just absolutely gives me total confidence in your superior knowledge..........or lack there of!!

Just because something is written on a label doesn’t make it great at doing that.

Ask any mechanic who’s had to deal with damaged fuel lines after seafoam had sat in them too long and dried them out. Ask marine technicians how many boat motors have had issues after using it as a fuel stabilizer over winter or longer.

Seafoam is great at cleaning shit up. I’m not denying that. I’ve smoke bombed a neighborhood or too decarbing motors with seafoam. But something that is that strong of a detergent is too strong to remain in the fuel system for too long. It’s been known to cause issues from this use. That’s why stabil and marine stabil aren’t high detergent and are a glycol solvent. The higher oil content helps stabil keep from damaging fuel lines, fuel injector o rings and other seals.

Dude you are kind of a DICK what is your point of making a big deal about a fuel product. I've never used Stabil and have only used Seafoam. I've never had any problems with fuel lines or any other parts using it. I've been using it for over 35 years. Back then we had things called carburetor. Most guys here probably would know how to tune one. I'm not a certified mechanic nor do I think I am. But I can work my way around a car. And seafoam was recommended to me from a very respected mechanic here in Tucson. I thought this forum was supposed to be about helping people out. I would've expected that response from someone who isn't a moderator. What I should've done was not mention anything about fuel in my post. I know it's not fuel, I had a feeling it was an electrical issue. I was looking for the type of advice like 96blak54 gave. I honestly know more about the first generation mustangs. That's why I joined this group 5 years ago. These newer cars with computers are a pain in the ass to diagnose. So you being a staff member/moderator should show a little more patience for people coming here for help.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you guys are both being dicks if you want to know the truth. yes logan got pissy but again if you think you have no spark then why is it 5 days later you would rather log on to hear "look around where you were working" and argue rather then "go test to make sure"? I mean you have an idea that you have no spark so start simple, confirm there is or is not otherwise your still just guessing right? If you suspect electrical check your fuses, CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES as its easy to ground something out and pop a fuse while swapping gear. Any chance you just left a ground off?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dude you are kind of a DICK what is your point of making a big deal about a fuel product. I've never used Stabil and have only used Seafoam. I've never had any problems with fuel lines or any other parts using it. I've been using it for over 35 years. Back then we had things called carburetor. Most guys here probably would know how to tune one. I'm not a certified mechanic nor do I think I am. But I can work my way around a car. And seafoam was recommended to me from a very respected mechanic here in Tucson. I thought this forum was supposed to be about helping people out. I would've expected that response from someone who isn't a moderator. What I should've done was not mention anything about fuel in my post. I know it's not fuel, I had a feeling it was an electrical issue. I was looking for the type of advice like 96blak54 gave. I honestly know more about the first generation mustangs. That's why I joined this group 5 years ago. These newer cars with computers are a pain in the ass to diagnose. So you being a staff member/moderator should show a little more patience for people coming here for help.

85ba170193d905d290e6a7494cd432e6.jpg

I’m a dick and you proved me wrong?? That’s funny.

Yes I’m a mod.
Yes this is a place where people help each other.
Yes, you should’ve listened when people tried to help and you kept mentioning something that everyone knew wasn’t the issue.
Yes you can read a label, congratulations

No you don’t don’t have a clue about most of the guys on here and you don’t have a clue about how many of us have built cars ranging from 600+hp thunderbirds to 2500+hp novas with not one, but 2 big dominators on top of the Weiand.
No your not a certified mechanic, your words.

One mechanic you know saying to use a certain product he likes doesn’t mean that particular product hasn’t caused many problems. Us youngsters, while still knowing how to rejet a carb and tune a tripower setup, also know how to do research on the ol’interwebs and can find many complaints about the damage that prolonged exposure to seafoam has caused. I’ve also personally seen the damage myself. As stated earlier I use seafoam for decarbing but that’s it.

Next time step away from the Commodore64 and realize that people can make jokes in good humor and you should think before coming back with an attitude. This place is full of all kinds of personalities and all are different. If you think I’m bad I promise a forum might not be for you.

But if you’d like to continue chatting with everyone then by all means, please take a chill pill and learn that the world isn’t all rainbows and unicorn farts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online