Worth the swap?

Rallim

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys. Long story short, I've got an opportunity to pick up an H-Beam terminator bottom end and supercharger setup, and then I figure I can find a Mark VIII motor to put it all in for a few hundred bucks.

Now, I know the K-member would have to be swapped, obviously who harness/ecu as well. Would I run into any troubles putting the M112 on a Mark VIII, any little things I'd need to know to expect, and last would it even be worth it?

I figure short of any unexpected odds and ends I could essentially have a forged bottom end terminator swap for under $2000, but I'm not 100% so I figure I'd rather get opinions before even starting to really think about it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If you get the computer and harness out of at least a 96 I think it would alleviate some headache but its not a simple swap.

The D3V

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I would not bother. You could boost your 94 for the money you are going to spend. All the wiring would have to changed. . K member, trans and other stuff. It can get expensive. Plus you will need c heads. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
Alright, those are the answers I was looking for. Boost + a garage full of spare blocks for when they all crack from too much power it is!

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=10830]MustangChris[/MENTION] has a list of parts need it. I believe..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I would like to get the rods if they are being separated from the block tho..

SVTstang96

Reaction score
The major problem you will have is mounting the m112 onto the mark 8 heads. the mark 8 heads are whats called a b-head. where the 99-04 cobra used variations of c-heads. You would have to get c-heads for it to work, and a matching timing cover. Essentially you would only be using the oil pan, some serpentine setup and the block.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mish-moshing this type of thing together can be difficult.

As was mentioned, the Mark will have B-heads, not C-heads. This means you'll need some kind of adapter system to mount the supercharger system (I dont know if they make one or not.)

next, as was mentioned, the timing cover will need to be sourced from the terminator in order to run the twin-belt system. [MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION] may have some suggestions on keeping it to a single-belt system (OEM eaton is 8 rib, keep that in mind.)

you "may" be able to use your oem computer system. The tuner would simply have to be good at his job -- but i know absolutely NOTHING about the OBD-I systems.... someone like [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9404]Paul[/MENTION] would be better help on that...

after that, you need a new transmission/clutch...

dont forget the cooling systems, the fuel system (not sure what OEM 94/95 runs power up to before failure)...

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
next, as was mentioned, the timing cover will need to be sourced from the terminator in order to run the twin-belt system. Orange 94 may have some suggestions on keeping it to a single-belt system (OEM eaton is 8 rib, keep that in mind.)

Yeah, mine is running off a single belt. The adapter plate for the v6 positions the blower to run off a singe belt, I'm using a smaller pulley, but it still has too many ribs. I just don't use the ribs :p It seems to be working perfect, not rubbing or slipping at all. I think the belt I'm using is for a diesel? I just used a piece of string to measure the length, then had to make a few trips back to the part store to trade in for the exact one I needed.

Another issue with the eaton is heat, heaton. Meth has been working great, but it's suppose to eat at the coating of the supercharger. I'd recommend taking the coating off, but it won't make as much boost so you can run a smaller pulley too.

If I could make a suggestion, just supercharge the 5.0. I think it'll be cheaper, make good power and be more reliable. Swaps are great, but there will be bugs. Also, you wont have the headache of remembering which parts you need since its your original motor with a simple supercharger setup. The more stuff you start swapping and mixing the hard it is to keep track.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah, mine is running off a single belt. The adapter plate for the v6 positions the blower to run off a singe belt, I'm using a smaller pulley, but it still has too many ribs. I just don't use the ribs :p It seems to be working perfect, not rubbing or slipping at all. I think the belt I'm using is for a diesel? I just used a piece of string to measure the length, then had to make a few trips back to the part store to trade in for the exact one I needed.

Another issue with the eaton is heat, heaton. Meth has been working great, but it's suppose to eat at the coating of the supercharger. I'd recommend taking the coating off, but it won't make as much boost so you can run a smaller pulley too.

If I could make a suggestion, just supercharge the 5.0. I think it'll be cheaper, make good power and be more reliable. Swaps are great, but there will be bugs. Also, you wont have the headache of remembering which parts you need since its your original motor with a simple supercharger setup. The more stuff you start swapping and mixing the hard it is to keep track.

Yeah I know many lightning guys who spray meth after the blower for that reason and because they think its a waste to cool the blower instead of the air. These vehicles spray at the track only and between passes have the intercooler on a separate power switch they can use while the vehicles isn't running

The D3V

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it actually benefited me...
We thought the coating was gunk... so I started removing it. When I was almost done (took me forever) my dad comes over told me that its actually a special coating that maybe we shouldnt have removed.

Anyways, it didn't make as much boost without it so we could go with a smaller pulley. More hood clearance :) Then found out the meth would have eaten it anyways.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
If I had another 94/95 there is no way in hell I'd swap in a modular. Don't get me wrong, I love my 98 but the ease of the 302 to work on plus the smaller size, cheaper parts, I could do headers in an hour or two, the list goes on. ONLY reason I am in a modular currently is because NJ does not require a sniffer for OBD2 vehicles so as long as she has the EGR hooked up and working properly I am kosher.

Now... if you can get that M112 and rods/crank/pistons for cheap there is a good market for that stuff on various classified forums. Good OEM forged crank is going to go for $200-$300, H beams for $200-$300, M112 for $200-$300 and the pistons too I'd imagine.

Just S trim your 302, set it to around 450rwhp and enjoy it. Or, start on a 408 stroker build and have a nice 500-600 ft lbs on tap at all times with a small flick of your foot all motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online