would anyone want to mount a newer caliper with a 14" rotor?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I found someone on facebook wanting to make some brackets that would allow for an 08 caliper to be mounted with a 14" rotor on our sn's. He had enough pics and measurements and a trace of the part that use to be available to do this for me to copy and now after two tries I have it pretty close in wood. Next step is to cut out of acrylic just because it machines similar to aluminum to make sure it is really accurate and after that I would go to aluminum if it looks good. We have arranged to send these to a friend of his that has the part(and gave us the measurements) to compare and make sure its perfectly perfect considering its use... Would anyone else be interested in these?

pmNwy3i.jpg

They would be 6061 aluminum, not sure if we would annodize them but maybe just for durability as I know a guy that can do it. It allows for you to use a GT500 14" rotor and an 05-09 gt caliper

07GtS197

Reaction score
https://www.fullytorquedracing.com/mustang/newedge/sn95-14in-brake-kit.html

It does say out of stock so I’m sure you’re right Scott. That would be a budget big brake upgrade but now with the s550 brakes becoming cheaper and being a 4 piston design I don’t see there being a high demand for them anymore. This still may be more economical and be in demand advertised in the right place though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ah that is it. I think I remember logan was complaining for a long time that they would not make them but I might be thinking of someone else. I am not planning on going into mass production by any means but I think I can make a few anyway.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah it’s a good idea, I bet there is some interest for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notthenow

Reaction score
In that case, the FTR rotor spacer has a extra long hub centric lip that regular wheel spacers don't. Without that, the lip won't be long enough to extend into the wheel. FTR seems to be out of business as they are unresponsive to phone calls or emails, even though their web site seems normal.

07GtS197

Reaction score
They used to have a rep on here but that was a while ago. In my opinion, I’d go with cts v calipers with cobra rotors. Pretty much plug and play and it’s a huge step up from stock brakes.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I have a pair of the CTS -V 4 pot brembos. The mounting bolts are 2mm off and the mounting arms hit the spindle. I would love to hear what I'm missing and how you got them to fit! I have tried spacing them out, but haven't found the answer. Was hoping the FTR kit would work, but then they went dark.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got the basic design/dimensions close enough that with mine on top of the original that you could not see or feel a difference. At that point the last part of it to master was just getting it cut to the perfect thickness and I didn't think that would be a problem and of course that is when the problems started. I could not get it to cut the correct thickness. The first set ended up just a TAD too thin so I made some adjustments and tried to do it again. This time for some reason after a while it again was having problems with the depth drifting for some reason and after 3 tries that ended up with a large piece of wasted aluminum I had to give up. There is a 5/8" thick spacer that was needed IIRC off the top of my head.

Now the pas week I again started to have issues with the depth drifting after it was running a long 3 hour program on a large carving I was trying out. I was not sure what was going on at first but I think I have figured out that after it runs for an hour or two that the collet that holds the bit in the router gets warm/hot and then the expansion causes the bit to move in the collet throwing the depth off. I am looking into getting a more precise collet to hold up for the longer carves and I have to wonder if that would fix the problems I was having. I still have enough aluminum to do one set and after the time I put into it I will have a hard time not trying it on that last piece.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Wow, lots of trial and error in that piece. Did you notice how the FTR rotor spacer had an extended hub so it would be long enough to be hubcentric with the wheel? Can you make the spacer too?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wow, lots of trial and error in that piece. Did you notice how the FTR rotor spacer had an extended hub so it would be long enough to be hubcentric with the wheel? Can you make the spacer too?
if I can get the thicknesses perfectly perfect like I should be able to then the spacer would not be a big deal. I have a piece of 3/4" for it that I was use.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I am interested if you can make the spacer and the brackets. The brackets are for the 2018 GT caliper, correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online