Would it be worth switching over to synthetic motor oil?????

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here's the deal. I have 79k on the original 5.0 motor and the oil is changed every 3k miles with Castrol GTX 10w-30 with a K&N oil filter. Never used synthetic on this motor. The motor burns ZERO oil between changes. Should I just keep on using regular oil or should I switch over to synthetic???

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
I changed to Synthetic when my car had 82k...Wish I did it sooner.

94stangr

Reaction score
I have 327,000 kms on my V6 doesnt burn any oil between changes at all, I use Mobil 1 10W30 with lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.. Engine purrs like a kitten no noise what so ever and you'd expect for 327,000 it wouldnt run well.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
go for it, or at least a synthetic blend, your motor will last longer!

94stangr

Reaction score
Am thinking of getting the motor rebuilt after the winter, with a mild p&p .. Thinking about running a turbo setup.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
I say switch. Full sythetic is heads over heals better than conventional oil. Convential oil actually starts breaking down at 2,000 miles. You may not be burning any oil but deposits in the motor are almost a given. With full sythetic you gain HP, TQ, gas Milage, you can go 6K on the oil change and never have to worry about it breaking down. It breaks down well after the 6K mark,

<---Hood Tech For Penzoil.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
I say switch. Full sythetic is heads over heals better than conventional oil. Convential oil actually starts breaking down at 2,000 miles. You may not be burning any oil but deposits in the motor are almost a given. With full sythetic you gain HP, TQ, gas Milage, you can go 6K on the oil change and never have to worry about it breaking down. It breaks down well after the 6K mark,

It's been three months since the dealer changed my oil. I am in the same type of situation. I've read around a bit and I'm not convinced that synthetic is heads over heals better than conventional oil. I can see the use for synthetics when:

1. Car is raced hard frequently
2. Car is driven in extreme cold/hot conditions
3. LOTS of short trips.

I plan on using conventional (right now I'm leaning toward Pennzoil's conventional) even though I've only driven about 650 miles in a little over three months. My theory behind this is that three or four months of conventional oil is better for the engine than 6 months to a year on synthetics... Maybe I'm wrong but I've based this on stuff I've read so far.

The whole oil issue is similar to the issue of religion. I forgot the website but they tested taxi cabs in NYC and after three months, the conventional oil still held more than adequate viscosity levels. My family is loyal to Toyata's and usually change oil every 3-3500 miles with the cheapest conventional oil and have NEVER had a motor problem. Our mini-van has 145,000 and starts like the day we brought it home.

Whatever you do, it's up to you.

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
i heard that if you have a higher mileage motor that has been running conventional for years then switch to synthetic , it can cause oil leaks because the synthethic oil is slipping past the sludge around the seals and leaks. is this true?

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MoonlightGT said:
i heard that if you have a higher mileage motor that has been running conventional for years then switch to synthetic , it can cause oil leaks because the synthethic oil is slipping past the sludge around the seals and leaks. is this true?

i have heard the same as well, but i have 99/xxxx on the mystic and didnt start using mobile 1 till around 93,xxx with no leaks. no i dont know how true that is..... no leaks thus far!!

Stangbangin

Reaction score
I think thats why they say change your oil every 3000 miles or 3 monthes. so you won't have the same oil sitting in your pan for more than 3 monthes at a time

Red96GT said:
95KBGT said:

It's been three months since the dealer changed my oil. I am in the same type of situation. I've read around a bit and I'm not convinced that synthetic is heads over heals better than conventional oil. I can see the use for synthetics when:

1. Car is raced hard frequently
2. Car is driven in extreme cold/hot conditions
3. LOTS of short trips.

I plan on using conventional (right now I'm leaning toward Pennzoil's conventional) even though I've only driven about 650 miles in a little over three months. My theory behind this is that three or four months of conventional oil is better for the engine than 6 months to a year on synthetics... Maybe I'm wrong but I've based this on stuff I've read so far.

The whole oil issue is similar to the issue of religion. I forgot the website but they tested taxi cabs in NYC and after three months, the conventional oil still held more than adequate viscosity levels. My family is loyal to Toyata's and usually change oil every 3-3500 miles with the cheapest conventional oil and have NEVER had a motor problem. Our mini-van has 145,000 and starts like the day we brought it home.

Whatever you do, it's up to you.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i used that Q synthetic one time and it was really good, but i still change my oil every 3000 miles no matter what and that synthetic is $$$$.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
MoonlightGT said:
to an extent, but the thing is the full sythetic doesnt cause the leaks, the build up from using conventional motor oil is the reason you start to have leaks. I have been a lube tech for about 3 years off and on, i have seen cars that come in on conventional motor oil that went past their due date by about 1K miles...it goops out of the oil pan, the oil looks like crude oil, not even transparent. Then i see cars that run Full sythetic that go 7K miles on the oil change (same situation as conventional) and the oil is still transparent and carmel.

If you dont believe me go here. www.royalpurple.com

there is nothing good about conventional motor oil, and never will be, if you want you motor to run at its peakest performance level, and last the longest it can...go Full sythetic.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have low mileage too about 58k miles and I am debating it as well...I think anything under 80k miles is probaly worth it. I know if I were to ever rebuild or anything I would use syn for sure from the start.

voidfinger

Reaction score
+1 to what matt said, when i rebuild my npi with 10.7/11 to 1 compression, i'm for sure going to use the synthetic stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online