would these mods be worth it ?or should i save for something better or cheaper?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by steam29, Jan 31, 2015.

1. steam29

steam29 New Member

i was planning on buying these mods over time

koni front strut
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-strut-strt-9404.html

koni rear strut
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-shock-strt-9404.html

brke / rotor kit
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/powerstop-brake-kit-9498.html

lowering springs
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-7904v8.html

CAI
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai-9604gt.html

camber plates
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/srperformance-caster-camber-9404.html

my car is in desperate need of new rotors. the car has 130k miles on it i dont think they changed any shocks or struts because you feel every bump and thing in the road. CAI because hey why not.lowering springs because if the struts and shocks are worn out wouldnt the springs be to ?(also the car is very low already dad suspects they "clamped" or "melted" the springs) any suggestions ? or ideas?

2. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I got all new rotors and pads for my car for $180 on ebay. $300+ seems like alot. Also, SR performance is american muscles cheap-o brand. I would advise against getting any of their products and actually going with name brands if you care about your car.

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

skip the CAI, upgrade the CC plates to MM. Also upgrade the springs to eibach.
    I've been seeing not great reviews on the koni. I think the price reflects the quality.
    The brake, meh. Feel you could get a better deal. I think our forum sponsor rockauto has better deals.

4. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

+1 on MM camber plates. H&R makes great springs if you are looking for alternatives.

5. steam29

steam29 New Member

6. ttocs

ttocs Legend

you can save some money on the intake for sure.

7. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

Koni makes good shocks and struts. They have always put out quality parts. The ones you chose are their lower end but still Koni none the less.

8. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

All the advice given above is good advice.

Shocks and struts: The entry level Koni is an upgrade over stock OEM shocks and struts. But you should try to match up your lowering springs spring rates to your shocks and struts. Your suspension will be more predictable and you'll have a better ride. I would recommend a call to Maximum Motorsports, Steeda, Racecraft or Griggs Racing.

Rotors and pads: The ones you listed and the others posted are basically an appearance upgrade. Nothing earth shattering in terms of braking improvements over OEM counterparts. If you're looking for braking improvements in terms of repeatability, less fade and less heat there are more expensive upgrades out there from Alcon, Baer, Ford Racing Cobra and Cobra R and Brembo to name a few. And don't forget tires when it applies to better braking.

Caster Camber plates: Maximum Motorsports enough said

CAI: HP increases will be very small for the investment. Rather see you spend money elsewhere. Rear-end gears, subframe connectors, replacement of all bushings, full tune-up, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I'll leave you with this: One thing I noticed, people always have the money to do it right the SECOND time.

See ya
    Michael Plummer

9. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

I would spend the cash on standard rotors and pads. When I swapped mine, I realized the calipers on all four corners were ready to be replaced as well. Bringing it to factory performance (brakes, radiator, coolant hoses, clutch+flywheel, plugs+wires, thermostat, and headlights) hasn't been the most fun modding I could do. I now have a reliable platform to start really doing what I want to do. My suggestion would be to ensure the vehicles reliability, rotors pads and calipers aren't too much of an investment in stock form and you can also clean everything up and paint the calipers to your choice of color.

summits "pro-kit" isn't very pricy and I can vouch for the quality. Rides smooth and is still at a daily driver ride height

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-720100/overview/year/1996/make/ford/model/mustang

10. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

In your situation I would just go get part store pad and rotor replacements, they work fine. Unless you want to upgrade, then I typically recommend the SVE kit from latemodel restoration. It's a pretty awesome, affordable, all inclusive kit.

As was noted earlier, you want to properly match the shocks/struts to the springs, it will make them last longer, and the car will be more comfortable and predictable.

MM cc plates and no CAI are probably the best pieces of advice.

11. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

I would also vouch for just part store brake hardware. Go to NAPA and get some decent quality rotors and pads, or online from rockauto.com. Although the PowerStop stuff was actually impressive when I ran my 05 in TT. The PO put them on before I bought it.

Shocks/struts & springs, everyone's advice is solid. It comes down to how much do you want to spend. CC plates, not necessary IMO, but if you're gonna do it absolutely get good quality. MM, J&M, etc. If some bozzo heated the springs to drop the car, remove that ASAP before you cause serious damage or injure someone/yourself.

The CAI, if you go that route, get the in-fender, not just a cone filter next to the radiator. Honestly, just replace the stock filter with a K&N and save some dough. Specially with a stock motor.

What about exhaust? Any mods done already when you got it?

12. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

Exhaust is a FUN modification and it always starts the debate: Which mufflers, mid-pipe or headers make the most HP. But on your setup it will probably net you an additional 10-18rwhp if you replace the whole exhaust system from headers to mufflers.

13. steam29

steam29 New Member

are there any shock/strut and spring combos that you can recomend ? i was thinking of the eibach springs but got no clue how to properly match shocks and struts

and for the exhaust well i don't know what they did to it! one is longer than the other it looks pretty weird imo it does not stand out that much but u can definitely tell ones longer could you guys recommend anything on the front to ? im looking for something that sounds like a deep muscle car but not so loud your going to hear me across town

THANKS for all the advice so far

Edit: so these are the rotors i should be getting ?
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=391120&cc=1304480
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=391117&cc=1304480
    1998 mustang gt 4.6l

14. Cpotts13

Cpotts13 Well-Known Member

Heres a good link to match shocks to springs...
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

Id also recommend H&R supersports
    Check out american muscles CC plates, they are VERY high quality machined billet aluminum... I was shocked of the quality for the price..
    id look into used shocks and struts.. I got my set of bilstein/ roush machined for coilovers used for 400 shipped..

15. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

Anything but stock gets my vote!! lol

My 05 has all stock exhaust, but the mufflers were deleted and added the Pype Bombs. It sounds great, I get a lot of compliments on the rumble. A 5.0, you can never go wrong with a 2 chamber flowmaster, done to death but it sounds great.

16. JKady

JKady Active Member

Mac pro-chambers are also a great sounding option for a 5.0, little louder than Slowmasters though. I I run Mac pro-dumps and will say that when I change things up, it'll have tail pipes on it again. The noise doesn't bother me so much but the stink does, for whatever reason it's especially bad when cruising with just the driver's window down.

17. steam29

steam29 New Member

thanks for the link but these shocks are a little pricey is that a normal for shocks and struts? the mustang would be my DD

18. myk

myk Member

That's odd, on other car platforms Eibach products are typically avoided.

'OP I skipped the CC plates and the car aligned just fine, you should be able to do the same and save some money.

I'm satisfied with the SR springs and their ride height, performance, although I wish there was a write up or a direct 'comparo between popular spring choices.

Finally, I was told not to bother with the exhaust unless I had the 'mods to warrant a change. Maybe someday. I'm still new to 'modding these cars so I'm learning also...

19. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I have a set of used Tokito HP shocks for the rear if you want something cheap and good for daily driving.

20. steam29

steam29 New Member

how much are you asking for them? and would you recommend them? (people have been recommending so pretty crazy things) also what springs should i use them with ?

Edit: any other shocks/ struts and springs you could recommend that would be better than stock (even a little)