would you do this?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
paging down through FB and I came across a post of someone showing off his new interior carbon fiber kit he installed. It looks great but I could not help but notice that it included a piece that went across the air bag cover. 2 pieces actually as they were made with a split in the middle to match the stock pieces. I could not help but think that to put something as hard/stiff as a piece of CF on top of the bad cover just seemed like a bad idea to me. I know that 3m double stick tape is that amazing material that holds the world together but I would hazard a guess that it might not hold up to the force of the bag deploying. I mentioned it to him but of course he ain't hearing it as since its split like the stock pieces it must be safe in his eyes. I mean I think we all know I love carbon fiber and have more then a few pieces on my car but putting ANYTHING on top of an active air bag to me just seems like a bad idea... Am I nuts?

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I assume somebody would have tested this, but I get what you're saying.
It's always the What If? scenario.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Nothing should go in front of the airbags.

Just read a company that made the same product but wouldn't sell it due to possible liability issues.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could not agree more. When I was installing stereo it was always something we looked out for and now with side curtain air bags in the a-pillars and such you really need to be more careful where you mount things. This guy seemed to think that because its split that the pieces he stuck on with tape would act just like the stock pieces. With as light and stiff as that stuff is if it gets flung right were it cuts through the wind nicely I could easily see it doing some significant damage if it hit a person. He was too excited about his CF to consider it and funny enough everyone else on the page just seemed to think it looked great. Another guy said he was about to order it. I hate the idea of decal CF but I would have to say that this is the time/place to do it even if it doesn't look good.

1996GTKB

Reaction score
I agree that this is a bad idea. NO the carbon fibre piece WILL NOT ACT AS STOCK!! There is even a video on youtube for this exact product where they warn to only place the piece over the airbag for SHOW cars not driven cars!! I just watched this video yesterday, that's how I know.m

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything on the airbags either. Your just asking to be cut up, or lose an eye.
I like do the idea of the "snap on" piece for a car show though.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea looks pretty sketchy....but i have no room to talk when i've dragged the ass of my minitrucks sparks flying all around the gas tank, 7" monitor in front of the passenger air bag and god only knows what other hazards i created :dontknow:

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
idunno tony I mean that is just good old American stupid fun but this is actually taking a safety device and possibly turning it into something that could injure the passenger. I can't help but think if you took it and flung it like a Frisbee that with as thin and light as it is that it could do some damage to skin. Now amp that up and fling it with the airbag power and if it does get launched in that same way I really do not want to imagine what could do. It makes perfect sense that to have it easily removable

1996GTKB

Reaction score
I found the video, it's on a channel called motorz and the video is called " how to install pulleys & carbon fiber interior on a ford mustang gt" it's at the 14:15 to 14:25 part of the video. I woulda posted the link but it won't let me. Sorry

Sinned83

Reaction score
This is a bad Idea I wouldn't even want the LS guys to be the test pilots!

cameron57

Reaction score
It doesn't look like real carbon in the link to me. I could be wrong but it looks like the fake wood the put in the cars from the factory. But I could be way off. Didn't it say they make it for flush and others?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online