would you?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am rewiring the motor and while I am this deep into it and knowing it will be a little while before it is back on the road, should I take the heads off and have them checked out?
OqjlcaY.jpg

They are trickflow 170s and they are on the car as they came out of the box over 10 years ago. Everything was running well prior to the electrical fire but I had wondered if with the addition of the supercharger if different springs would be better or if there was any other work that would be recommended or help in reliability or HP?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I would say no. If no issues and ran great, roll with it. Now if the car was a track trailer queen that lives beyond 5000rpm, then id say yes, but you would already be doing this on a regular basis as a competitor. I think you are good

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Q. Have heads checked?
A. No

Q. Different cylinder springs?
A. Not needed for the camshaft you have

Q. Help in reliability or more HP
A. Reliability: Sure leave it as is and do your necessary preventative maintenance.
A2. More HP: Now you're talking about my game. I could mention stuff I know is better but honestly, you don't race, I don't think the car has even been to the dyno, blah, blah, blah.............put it back together and drive it.

Good luck with your decision
Michael Plummer

badass98svt

Reaction score
What are all those random wires for? Is that what caused the fire?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thanks fellas that is what part of me was saying.

Random wires?! I see no random wires :) Some of the ends for the sensors needed to be swapped, some extended and at this point it is all just one big mess for sure. Here I am just trying to lay them out to make a little order out of it so I can get everything the right length, next I will put a wrap of tape here/there to hold them together before I wrap them in a single techflex piece with wire ties and labels for each on the end.

gieWQjD.jpg

The fire started from my own stupidity unfortunately and it was from wiring but nothing that you see here. There was the speed sense wire for the revers lock out controller, reverse light and the reverse lock out solenoid wires that I ran for the t56 magnum install were the problem. I should have ran them out of the spot on the trans hump that I moved all the engine wiring to when I did the wire tuck but there wasn't much space to run 6-8 more wires through there and it is hard to get access to under the car so I ran them out the side. That left me with having to find a spot that I had to run them over the exhaust and there wasn't a great spot to do that so I found the best spot I could and tied everything up nice and tight. I have been doing interior wiring for ever and just got use to the idea of enough wire ties and it will not move. I suspect the ties failed and it fell onto the exhaust as that harness got it the worst. I have moved those wires needless to say and I am wrapping any/all wiring under the vehicle with a heat resistant wrap and then hard mounting them every 8-10" with these now.
No2bd6C.jpg

Snorky

Reaction score
If your car was running fine before hand and you aren't running the car out any higher with the blower than you were before it. I wouldn't mess with it.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am rewiring the motor and while I am this deep into it and knowing it will be a little while before it is back on the road, should I take the heads off and have them checked out?
View attachment 23488

They are trickflow 170s and they are on the car as they came out of the box over 10 years ago. Everything was running well prior to the electrical fire but I had wondered if with the addition of the supercharger if different springs would be better or if there was any other work that would be recommended or help in reliability or HP?
Personally at 10 years. Even if you don't have indication of excess smoke or low vacuum. And you planning on another 5+ years of enjoyment. I think you'll be ahead in having the top end checked , it mY need guides, seats etc. And springs do not live forever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online