Wrecked & Rusted 2002 GT Rebuild

kyholm

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a salvage title 2002 GT I've been working on, and have been making youtube videos about it along the way.

I'll start posting those videos here for your viewing pleasure.

Here is the latest in the series:

Thanks for checking it out!

Enjoy.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a salvage title 2002 GT I've been working on, and have been making youtube videos about it along the way.

I'll start posting those videos here for your viewing pleasure.

Here is the latest in the series:

Thanks for checking it out!

Enjoy.
I picked up a salvage titled mustang
It was project car for a friend he ended up buying it from me and he has put a lot of time and money into it with my help and still has ot to this day the car dose look nice 94 mustang gt
With time you will have that car looking good

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So first things first........where are you sourcing your chillhop music for the video?? And second, but a sawzall cause your gonna need time and time again.

Third, is odds and bodds.....spelling?!?..... the same as our American odds and ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
I picked up a salvage titled mustang
It was project car for a friend he ended up buying it from me and he has put a lot of time and money into it with my help and still has ot to this day the car dose look nice 94 mustang gt
With time you will have that car looking good

It should really be no big task as I am a autobody/collision repair tech! Was a cheap way to pick up an otherwise clean, low mileage GT

So first things first........where are you sourcing your chillhop music for the video?? And second, but a sawzall cause your gonna need time and time again.

Third, is odds and bodds.....spelling?!?..... the same as our American odds and ends?

Lol, honestly I think I just youtube searched "royalty free chill vlog beat"

I definitely need a sawzall, and next pay I think I'll Amazon one (I also have some trees to trim, so...)

"Odds and bodds" - No idea where that came from, just me being awkward talking to a camera, haha. Meant to say odds and ends for sure.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know everyone is starting their own channel but I enjoy seeing and reading about peoples builds much more than the overly long and badly edited videos everyone seems to be doing.

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
I know everyone is starting their own channel but I enjoy seeing and reading about peoples builds much more than the overly long and badly edited videos everyone seems to be doing.

I can definitely appreciate that. I intend to post a mix of video, images and obviously, text posts on here.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Looks like a tight squeeze in places. I'll be honest I kinda cringed seeing you tight up against the wall pulling that pass side apart with the spring in there. I know the likelihood of it coming out of there like a rocket is low, just had to close one eye for a second knowing there was no escape route there :)

I don't know that I would have the patients to make a video let alone edit it. If I did it would probably look like that scene from Happy Gilmore where he is throwing clubs, they were beeping out all of his swearing, and he was pushing people over :mad:.

Ok, I don't push people over in the garage, but the rest can be true sometimes.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a tight squeeze in places. I'll be honest I kinda cringed seeing you tight up against the wall pulling that pass side apart with the spring in there. I know the likelihood of it coming out of there like a rocket is low, just had to close one eye for a second knowing there was no escape route there :)

I don't know that I would have the patients to make a video let alone edit it. If I did it would probably look like that scene from Happy Gilmore where he is throwing clubs, they were beeping out all of his swearing, and he was pushing people over :mad:.

Just gggiiiiiiiivvvveee it a lil tappy........lil tap tap taparoo!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score

I do all my own stunts ;)

As far as the video stuff goes, I enjoy making the videos as much as I do wrenching - So its a labor of love, hoping that other people might enjoy it or get something out of it.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Hey there! I replied to you on reddit (I think the one guy that did) but cool to see you're on here as well. Look forward to the progress. I made a thread as well but its more of random stuff I've done to my car picture thread.

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
Hey there! I replied to you on reddit (I think the one guy that did) but cool to see you're on here as well. Look forward to the progress. I made a thread as well but its more of random stuff I've done to my car picture thread.

Ha! I've been found out! I find reddit really isn't very receptive to content that isn't just a picture of a fully built chromed out 302;), but I keep chugging along sharing content there anyways! You never know who might be silently enjoying it. 99.1% of my views come from non-subscribed viewers *shrug*

Who asked those guys anyway? Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much, comments like yours are what keep me going at it!:)

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
Im following! Im curious as to how youll repair the rails!

Great work so far!

Thank you! Comments like this are what keep me going!

I have decided yet how I will go about it - Either section in square tube, or fab up a bunch of patch sections from flat sheet. I want to get rid of all the really bad decomposition and see how involved I need to get.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yikes! Beyond both my skills and my patience. I admire you for taking this on. Good luck, and keep us posted.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Holy hell that is a lot of rust. Awesome learning project to tackle though!

Not saying this is gospel however my thought would be to first reinstall the fenders and front end and make sure everything is lined up as close as possible.
I think I would try to avoid lifting it any more with that engine hoist from the core support. I would want to try to avoid any risk of tweaking / distorting the remaining uni body anymore than needed.

After you have all the panels on and aligned I would look at taking square tubing or something to tack in, square up and stabilize the front end. Then look at removing the damaged metal for repair. Maybe something like a front tube kit might be cool on there, not sure if you want to go that route but there is a few out there available. They are definitely not something that I would daily drive however due to the safety concerns of removing the fender and up crumple zone metal.

Here is one from Team Z:

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-tfeu-94-04.htm

LMR sells a few Fox frame kits that can be made to work for repair on the SN95/New Edge chassis also:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRLH780/1979-93-Mustang-LH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRRH880/1979-93-Mustang-RH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

Very similar designs and can be made to fit with just a bit of work and imagination. Otherwise make sure everything is supported and squared up before you start cutting into the frame areas needing repair. Other options would be to find a front half and look at stitching it together but I think that is going to be a lot of work. Though a lot of work is what it looks like you have on your hands there.

I'm interested to see what direction you go for repair, should be a fun project!

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
Holy hell that is a lot of rust. Awesome learning project to tackle though!

Not saying this is gospel however my thought would be to first reinstall the fenders and front end and make sure everything is lined up as close as possible.
I think I would try to avoid lifting it any more with that engine hoist from the core support. I would want to try to avoid any risk of tweaking / distorting the remaining uni body anymore than needed.

After you have all the panels on and aligned I would look at taking square tubing or something to tack in, square up and stabilize the front end. Then look at removing the damaged metal for repair. Maybe something like a front tube kit might be cool on there, not sure if you want to go that route but there is a few out there available. They are definitely not something that I would daily drive however due to the safety concerns of removing the fender and up crumple zone metal.

Here is one from Team Z:

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-tfeu-94-04.htm

LMR sells a few Fox frame kits that can be made to work for repair on the SN95/New Edge chassis also:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRLH780/1979-93-Mustang-LH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRRH880/1979-93-Mustang-RH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

Very similar designs and can be made to fit with just a bit of work and imagination. Otherwise make sure everything is supported and squared up before you start cutting into the frame areas needing repair. Other options would be to find a front half and look at stitching it together but I think that is going to be a lot of work. Though a lot of work is what it looks like you have on your hands there.

I'm interested to see what direction you go for repair, should be a fun project!

Fear not! For I am a licensed collision repair tech and this car will be seeing my frame rack and laser measuring system once again to make sure the rails are in the right spit before I chop out the rust and weld in new metal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online