Writeup about hiding engine bay wires for our cars

Suspect

Reaction score
holy moly this ones old. threads like this is what made me do it!! lol. well.. i wanted to be faster too. just not all the way there yet. but i guess i can add mine now! :icon_rr:

before. stock longblock, intake, cai, pullies, and headers.
Picture125.jpg

after. stroked Dart, h/c/i, and a lil powdercoating/bling/wire hiding. no blower yet. my money goes every where but the stang these days.
Picture045.jpg

5.0kid

Reaction score
very nice looking bays all of you! hey paul, what did you use to mount your ignition coil? I broke my stock piece and have been looking for something like that to do. looks clean...

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I drilled/tapped my bracket, and threaded the MSD vibration isolators directly into it. Then I bolt my massive coil down on the isolators.

birel21y

Reaction score
I just finished going through my engine bay. I wire tucked everything, and painted. I made carbon fiber panels to cover the areas where the battery and air box used to be...
eng1-1.jpg

eng2-1.jpg

eng3-1.jpg

danielson631

Reaction score
just felt like posting a pic of mine. started it today and im pleased so far. the bay itself still needs paint, as you can tell its all scratched up. im going to work on the drivers side tomorrow.

before
IMG_0762.jpg

after
HPIM0143.jpg

97 king cobra

Reaction score
I just relocated the fuse box to inside the fender. I was surprised at how easy it was. It only took 4 hrs tops.

It also helped that i dont have a/c or a battery in my engine compartment. The more stuff that u relocate and remove, the easier it is to work on these cars.

danielson631

Reaction score
97 king cobra said:
I just relocated the fuse box to inside the fender. I was surprised at how easy it was. It only took 4 hrs tops.

It also helped that i dont have a/c or a battery in my engine compartment. The more stuff that u relocate and remove, the easier it is to work on these cars.

did you have to cut and extend anything to move the fusebox into the fender?

i thought the passanger side would be hard but it was amazingly simple. i would like to move the fusebox too but that seems a bit harder to me.

anyway you could just briefly sum up how you went about doing it??and if there was anything you needed to cut and extend.

thanks

ohh and do you have any pics ??

LAFENATU

Reaction score
A fellow mustanger that helps runs a shop did this for a customer.

MARCH2ND2010054.jpg

MARCH2ND2010055.jpg

MARCH2ND2010056-1.jpg

97 king cobra

Reaction score
danielson631 said:
97 king cobra said:

did you have to cut and extend anything to move the fusebox into the fender?

i thought the passanger side would be hard but it was amazingly simple. i would like to move the fusebox too but that seems a bit harder to me.

anyway you could just briefly sum up how you went about doing it??and if there was anything you needed to cut and extend.

thanks

ohh and do you have any pics ??

I didnt have to extend any wires but i did re-loom everything to make it look neater. I ran the main harness down the inside of the frame rail and drilled two holes into the frame rail on the inside fender side. I re-used the exsisting bracket that held the fuse box in the engine bay to mount the fuse box on the inside frame rail. It was a tight fit when putting the wheel cover back on but not too bad. I will try to take pics on sunday.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Only thing that keeps me from doing that is having to go through all the sh1t if I have an electrical problem. It would be a pain to go through the fender etc.

danielson631

Reaction score
97 king cobra said:
[
I didnt have to extend any wires but i did re-loom everything to make it look neater. I ran the main harness down the inside of the frame rail and drilled two holes into the frame rail on the inside fender side. I re-used the exsisting bracket that held the fuse box in the engine bay to mount the fuse box on the inside frame rail. It was a tight fit when putting the wheel cover back on but not too bad. I will try to take pics on sunday.

thanks man i have a good idea now. im going to get to it tomorrow morning. i saw a picture of what it looks like done on the inside but never what the fuse box looks like sitting in the fender.

im assuming just taking the wheel off and removing the wheelwell that should be enough room, right?anything on the inside of the engine comp?

danielson631

Reaction score
nevermind, i was wondering if there was anything you need to remove inside there to give you more room to work but i know see you dont have to.

i cant wait to get started tomorrow.

thanks again for the info. at first a wire tuck seemed so hard to do and i thought youd have to remove the fenders, and or engine to do this( what i read in a post above), and that it was nearly impossibly for me to do but it actually seems failry easy, and the pass side was a breeze.

danielson631

Reaction score
i started to do it yesterday, but got distracted with rewiring my projectors and HIDS and mounting the ballasts after they had just been stuffed in there.

but i didnt really even attempt to move the fusebox. i still have a good general idea, but whenever you get a chance i need to see some pics for a better idea. im not sure where to drill the holes in the frame rail.

97 king cobra

Reaction score
I will attempt to explain how/where to relocate the fuse box.

Step 1.... Put car up on jacks

Step 2 Remove drivers side front wheel and the plastic inner wheel cover.

Step 3 Unbolt the fuse box from the current mounting location and remove the windshield washer resevoir.

Step 4 The fuse box is connected to a long strand of wires that run inside the fender well. Unplug all of those connections and feed that whole strand into the engine bay.

Step 5 Now that u have everything in one location, run everything (long strand and fuse box) down the side of the radiator.

Step 6 Run everything under the frame rail to the inside of the fender (wheel side).

Step 7 Once u have everything here u just find a mounting location for the fuse box and plug in all of those connections to that long strand. ( I re-used the original bracket to mount the fuse box).

Step 8 Put the winshield washer tank back in.

Step 9 Put the whhel cover back on. (It might be tight on fitment and u may have to alter the covering here and there.)

Step 10 Put the wheel back on and remove the jacks....

Notes.... The only wire that was tight fitment was the one that ran to the alternator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.