Writeups on difference between....

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Are there any threads that are writeups on the difference between the 1996-1998 4.6Ls 2v and the 1999-2004 4.6Ls 2v??
If so please post it here or feel free to go ahead and make this a write up thread about it. I need as much info as i can. My dad doesnt think things will bolt up so i gotta prove him im right. FEEDBACK!!!!

S

scarface

the differences mostly are the heads, and intake. Allthough the PI H/I will bolt on the NON pi. The blocks are the same, the Non pi uses different pistons, causing the Compression to be increased. (more power, but requires high octain fuel)

The fuel systems are different on them also, Non pi uses return setup, Pi uses returnless.

Some parts wont bolt up. If you get a supercharger you need to specify which year. The ports are different on the pi, and the oil filler neck can get in the way also.

Im not sure what year they started using COPs instead of coil packs.

What parts are you trying to prove would/would not work?

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
basically i have a 1996 mustang gt and the motor is goin out and my dad said he would get me a 2002 gt motor but he doesnt think it will all bolt up so he is callin a local ford dealership cuz he doesnt believe me that the only thing different is the head assembly..... parents..... :dunno:

S

scarface

IT wil bolt up with no problems. You will need to change over your fuel rails,and if it Has COPs, you will need to use your coil packs instead. That would be an excellent swap!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
cop= coil on plug i believe. instead of one main coil each plug has its own

jpajkos

Reaction score
The motor will bolt right up with no problems at all. Please take this time to look at my signature.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Its a direct swap. You'll have to use your coils and wires, your old fuel rails, and you'll have to tap a hole in your intake for the other coolant sensor. If you have the aluminum cross-over than you can just change the crossover to the PI intake. Use your old timing cover also, If I remember right there are 2 holes that don't line up. But people have made it work without problems.

Just out ModularDepot for alot of info on that.

Tell your dad not to worry its an easy swap.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck on the swap,
you should gain 50 HP to the wheels. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99