WTF? Not good...

Discussion in '96-04 - 4V Specific' started by badass98svt, Apr 13, 2010.

1. badass98svt

badass98svt Well-Known Member

So I was on my way to a local cruise night tonight. I got on it a little and all of a sudden it felt like I lost all kinda of power. I passed a couple on a street and heard my motor. it sounded like a diesel! My oil pressure gauge was acting like it lost power. It was just jumping from 0 to the middle where it always sits. (we all know that's just a dummy gauge).
    I get up to a traffic light and the car just stalled. (I've been having a problem with my battery).
    Well, I try to fire it up and it won't start. battery's dead. So I get a jump and fire up the car and itshut down as soon as i let off the gas at all. Sounded bad too. Like I said, like a diesel. It was coming from the passenger's side.
    So, he jumps me again and I pull the car into the parking lot where the cruise night is (how embarassing), and off the street. The owner of the place put a charger on my battery while I waited for the Tow truck.

I got towed home and I figured what the hell, and fired itup, and it sounded perfectly normal. WTF? Never thought to check the oil pressure gauge. i just fired it up and popped the hood to see if i could hear anything out of the ordinary. Nope.

I'd also like to add that i pulled the intake and cam covers it off it a few days ago. But I've driven it about 100 miles since then. Still think I'm gonna pull the covers off and make sure nothing fell in there.

Cliff notes:
    My car had a knock, and now it's mysteriously gone.

2. MustangChris

MustangChris Post Whore Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

something fall into the combustion chamber, rattle around, and get exhausted out?

happened to my friend's galant... had a bunch of people owrking on his car (exhaust manifold + turbo) and someone dropped something into the exhaust port... took the head off and there was damage all over the motor. the debris went from cylinder to cylinder.

pull your plugs and inspect them. - that would be the first thing i would do.

also, the oil pressure gauge worries me. although its a dummy, from what i understand its a dummy for "you got pressure" and "you dont got pressure"...

3. Gallows

Gallows Well-Known Member

I just posted in your other thread PJ. Is the noise still gone?

4. badass98svt

As soon as the car begins to warm up, the noise comes back. Sounds like a cummins diesel up front on the ps. This blows. Right at the start of the season too

5. Gallows

That really sucks. I just put mine back on the road a week ago and with my mods it's a ticking time bomb.

6. badass98svt

Why, what are your mods?

7. Gallows

Vortech, 3.33 pulley 452 rwhp and a stock engine clutch and transmission. It's not if something is going to break but how many of them are going to disintegrate.

8. badass98svt

You had 450+ on the stock bottom end? What psi?

Hows SVTP doing over there? I've been banned and can't go back until mid May. All for posting a link of a girl flashing her bewbs in the funny pics thread.

Tell my sn95 bros over there i'll be back soon!

9. Gallows

I noticed that you weren't around lately but didn't know what was up. I've only gotten a couple of infractions for inappropriate comments in Roadside :thefinger: I'm thinking around 9-10 psi. I looked on my dyno sheets and it doesn't list it.

10. badass98svt

LOL, yeah be sure to tell everyone in the SN95 community that i got banned for complete bs. LOL, although i was supposed to be unbanned by now, but i created another account so i could view the site, that's when i got the jumbo ban stick! LOL
    Those mods are such tight asses

11. uncltrvlnmatt

uncltrvlnmatt Post Whore

Sounds like you may have some bearing problems. Not good.

12. badass98svt

That's what I'm thinking. Everything else should still be pretty much reusable though, right?

Keep my fingers crossed anyway.

13. uncltrvlnmatt

uncltrvlnmatt Post Whore

If you spun a bearing, you will definately have to get the crank cut depending on how bad it is, it may need replacement. If it is a rod bearing it is not that big a deal, you can replace the bad rod. But if it is a main bearing, which I am thinking it is since you are having low oil presure issues. That could be trouble for the block. At the very least you would need a align bore, at worst a new block.

14. badass98svt

Dont scare me with this stuff. The teksid block will be ok....I hope. Hopefully the crank just needs to be polished.

15. uncltrvlnmatt

uncltrvlnmatt Post Whore

Just trying to give you worst case senario.

16. badass98svt

I'm hoping to be back up and running for under $4k

17. uncltrvlnmatt

uncltrvlnmatt Post Whore

Good luck with that, you have a 4valve.

18. Gallows

I seem to recall you were going to do a "C" head swap awhile ago. Did you decide to go with the Mach engine?

19. badass98svt

No mach engine. I'm going to price out a forged rebuild. Hoping i can swing it.

20. TxCobrA98

TxCobrA98 Legend

i had my engine fully machined, crank redone, deburred the valve runners in the heads, new valve guides/seals, ordered all new main/rod bearings, new piston rings, all new gaskets for about 2k i think.

my Eagle H-beam rods were fine when i spun a rod bearing and my JE forged pistons were okay. I priced all of my engine parts and the rods were like 650 bucks and pistons were like 750 i believe? i forget exactly. I also have ARP main studs, head bolts, crank bolt, and ARP 2000 rod bolts. that is all like 550 id say. so, you can do it for around 4k, maybe a bit more.