X,Y or H PIPES ????

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
when buyin a cat back exaust system does it already come with either X ,Y or H pipes ??? and what is or not included in a system and lastly whats better x,y,or h ? im thinkin x or h but im here for your help n suggestions.....im looking into borla whats other good ones that will give me that extra performance not jus sound.
 

Fets

Post Whore
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
11,013
Reaction score
2
You only get the catback when you buy the catback. I never seen someone with a Y pipe on their V8 Mustang, do they even make them for V8s? As for whats better anything other then stock is better. X Pipe will give you a little more horsepower over the H due to it flowing better, but it sounds more raspy. The H Pipe sounds more deeper. Basically when buying an exhaust it all just depends on what you want it to sound like. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com or browse the media section on here. Borlas a great choice, but Im biased and I like FLowmasters haha. But its basically what YOU want your car to sound like.
 

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Fets said:
You only get the catback when you buy the catback. I never seen someone with a Y pipe on their V8 Mustang, do they even make them for V8s? As for whats better anything other then stock is better. X Pipe will give you a little more horsepower over the H due to it flowing better, but it sounds more raspy. The H Pipe sounds more deeper. Basically when buying an exhaust it all just depends on what you want it to sound like. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com or browse the media section on here. Borlas a great choice, but Im biased and I like FLowmasters haha. But its basically what YOU want your car to sound like.

i must b wrong on there being Y pipes then lol my bad....but yea if x gets more but sound isnt good i prefer h pipe, i love that deep tone. thax 4 ur help.
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
4point6GT said:
Fets said:
You only get the catback when you buy the catback. I never seen someone with a Y pipe on their V8 Mustang, do they even make them for V8s? As for whats better anything other then stock is better. X Pipe will give you a little more horsepower over the H due to it flowing better, but it sounds more raspy. The H Pipe sounds more deeper. Basically when buying an exhaust it all just depends on what you want it to sound like. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com or browse the media section on here. Borlas a great choice, but Im biased and I like FLowmasters haha. But its basically what YOU want your car to sound like.

i must b wrong on there being Y pipes then lol my bad....but yea if x gets more but sound isnt good i prefer h pipe, i love that deep tone. thax 4 ur help.

xpipe are fox mustang beesixx's.



This should help: (source: http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/ )
img_Mustang_Exhaust_System.jpg



Exhaust Manifolds
The exhaust manifolds (sometimes called headers) are connected to the exhaust ports of the engine and their basic function is to funnel the exhaust gases from various cylinders into a single exhaust passage. On a Mustang with a V8 or V6 engine there are two exhaust manifolds (one for each of the engine's cylinder banks) and they exit into the two entry points of the mid-pipe.

Mid-pipe
Mustangs with V8 engines are factory equipped with a mid-pipe that has an H formation and is therefore called an H-pipe, while Mustangs with V6s are factory equipped with a Y-pipe. Some aftermarket mid-pipes take on an X formation and are therefore called X-pipes. The main function of the mid-pipe is to equalize the exhaust pulses that are exiting the exhaust manifolds and entering the mid-pipe. Equalizing the exhaust pulses makes the exhaust system work more efficiently, allowing the engine to produce more power. Catalytic converters (often shortened to just "cats") remove contaminants from the exhaust and are present on the factory H-pipe and on some aftermarket mid-pipes. Some aftermarket mid-pipes that are intended for off-road or racing use, however, do not have catalytic converters and are often referred to as "off-road H-pipes" or "off-road X-pipes".

Cat-back
The cat-back is the assembly that contains the mufflers and the tail pipes. After traveling through the exhaust manifolds and the mid-pipe, the exhaust pulses enter the cat-back and exit through the tail pipes. Mufflers are devices designed to lower the sound level of the exhaust by absorbing the sound or canceling the sound using sound wave physics.
 

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Twista said:
4point6GT said:
Fets said:
You only get the catback when you buy the catback. I never seen someone with a Y pipe on their V8 Mustang, do they even make them for V8s? As for whats better anything other then stock is better. X Pipe will give you a little more horsepower over the H due to it flowing better, but it sounds more raspy. The H Pipe sounds more deeper. Basically when buying an exhaust it all just depends on what you want it to sound like. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com or browse the media section on here. Borlas a great choice, but Im biased and I like FLowmasters haha. But its basically what YOU want your car to sound like.

i must b wrong on there being Y pipes then lol my bad....but yea if x gets more but sound isnt good i prefer h pipe, i love that deep tone. thax 4 ur help.

xpipe are fox mustang beesixx's.



This should help: (source: http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/ )
img_Mustang_Exhaust_System.jpg



Exhaust Manifolds
The exhaust manifolds (sometimes called headers) are connected to the exhaust ports of the engine and their basic function is to funnel the exhaust gases from various cylinders into a single exhaust passage. On a Mustang with a V8 or V6 engine there are two exhaust manifolds (one for each of the engine's cylinder banks) and they exit into the two entry points of the mid-pipe.

Mid-pipe
Mustangs with V8 engines are factory equipped with a mid-pipe that has an H formation and is therefore called an H-pipe, while Mustangs with V6s are factory equipped with a Y-pipe. Some aftermarket mid-pipes take on an X formation and are therefore called X-pipes. The main function of the mid-pipe is to equalize the exhaust pulses that are exiting the exhaust manifolds and entering the mid-pipe. Equalizing the exhaust pulses makes the exhaust system work more efficiently, allowing the engine to produce more power. Catalytic converters (often shortened to just "cats") remove contaminants from the exhaust and are present on the factory H-pipe and on some aftermarket mid-pipes. Some aftermarket mid-pipes that are intended for off-road or racing use, however, do not have catalytic converters and are often referred to as "off-road H-pipes" or "off-road X-pipes".

Cat-back
The cat-back is the assembly that contains the mufflers and the tail pipes. After traveling through the exhaust manifolds and the mid-pipe, the exhaust pulses enter the cat-back and exit through the tail pipes. Mufflers are devices designed to lower the sound level of the exhaust by absorbing the sound or canceling the sound using sound wave physics.

so what would u suggest, to get off road h,x pipes or get the ones that do have catalytic converters which arent off road ??????????
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
4point6GT said:
Twista said:
4point6GT said:
Fets said:
You only get the catback when you buy the catback. I never seen someone with a Y pipe on their V8 Mustang, do they even make them for V8s? As for whats better anything other then stock is better. X Pipe will give you a little more horsepower over the H due to it flowing better, but it sounds more raspy. The H Pipe sounds more deeper. Basically when buying an exhaust it all just depends on what you want it to sound like. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com or browse the media section on here. Borlas a great choice, but Im biased and I like FLowmasters haha. But its basically what YOU want your car to sound like.

i must b wrong on there being Y pipes then lol my bad....but yea if x gets more but sound isnt good i prefer h pipe, i love that deep tone. thax 4 ur help.

xpipe are fox mustang beesixx's.



This should help: (source: http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/ )
img_Mustang_Exhaust_System.jpg



Exhaust Manifolds
The exhaust manifolds (sometimes called headers) are connected to the exhaust ports of the engine and their basic function is to funnel the exhaust gases from various cylinders into a single exhaust passage. On a Mustang with a V8 or V6 engine there are two exhaust manifolds (one for each of the engine's cylinder banks) and they exit into the two entry points of the mid-pipe.

Mid-pipe
Mustangs with V8 engines are factory equipped with a mid-pipe that has an H formation and is therefore called an H-pipe, while Mustangs with V6s are factory equipped with a Y-pipe. Some aftermarket mid-pipes take on an X formation and are therefore called X-pipes. The main function of the mid-pipe is to equalize the exhaust pulses that are exiting the exhaust manifolds and entering the mid-pipe. Equalizing the exhaust pulses makes the exhaust system work more efficiently, allowing the engine to produce more power. Catalytic converters (often shortened to just "cats") remove contaminants from the exhaust and are present on the factory H-pipe and on some aftermarket mid-pipes. Some aftermarket mid-pipes that are intended for off-road or racing use, however, do not have catalytic converters and are often referred to as "off-road H-pipes" or "off-road X-pipes".

Cat-back
The cat-back is the assembly that contains the mufflers and the tail pipes. After traveling through the exhaust manifolds and the mid-pipe, the exhaust pulses enter the cat-back and exit through the tail pipes. Mufflers are devices designed to lower the sound level of the exhaust by absorbing the sound or canceling the sound using sound wave physics.

so what would u suggest, to get off road h,x pipes or get the ones that do have catalytic converters which arent off road ??????????

Me.. i would get the off-road pipe if you have nothing to worry about. O/R have the best loudest deepest sound you can get.

Hpipe- Deep old school muscle car sound

Xpipe- Higher pitch exotic sound


Whatever you do! Do not buy a Catted prochamber.. waste of money.
If you want to stay legal ALWAYS get a Catted HPipe or CAtted Xpipe.
If you wanna be legal only for emission by changing out the pipe acouple days before emission than get the off road

iTS YOUR CHOICE.. check out all the clips: http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=5
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
I have a cat x on my cobra and like it, its not raspy ( I don't think it is anyway :-\ ) the only reason I got a legal one is because of the new emissions testing here in NC, I don't want ANY trouble come inspection time :angel:
 

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
I have a cat x on my cobra and like it, its not raspy ( I don't think it is anyway :-\ ) the only reason I got a legal one is because of the new emissions testing here in NC, I don't want ANY trouble come inspection time :angel:

well i live in CO but either way I think im gonna get an OFF ROAD H :dancing6:
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
I wanted a off road pipe too, ( this one I have now is the FIRST LEGAL MID PIPE I HAVE EVER HAD :() but the emmis test has cracked open here and all the shops are going by the book on them. Even the ones where I know some of the guys that work there............its all by the book, no exceptions :'(
 

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
I wanted a off road pipe too, ( this one I have now is the FIRST LEGAL MID PIPE I HAVE EVER HAD :() but the emmis test has cracked open here and all the shops are going by the book on them. Even the ones where I know some of the guys that work there............its all by the book, no exceptions :'(

so then what i should learn by u tellin me this is to not go anywhere professional or they wont install my exaust kit, lol. dont worry i kno some ppl that kno what theyre doin that will install it for me :banana:
 

Rantheman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
I live In OR. we don't have emission here even though they are trying to push it. we do have emissions in portland 2 hours away but not here. and I like you sig and avator ther make me druel.
 

4point6GT

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
824
Reaction score
0
Rantheman said:
I live In OR. we don't have emission here even though they are trying to push it. we do have emissions in portland 2 hours away but not here. and I like you sig and avator ther make me druel.

thanx :pimp2: lol....btw that girl as my avatar. she aint wearin anything, jus like her graffiti is paint the thong is too :naughty:
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
74,902
Messages
1,452,815
Members
13,578
Latest member
derekcdrake88

Members online

Top