X2 balljoint kit, bumpsteer, c/c plates..

gt96stang

Reaction score
Well, found out that my balljoint is bad which is making a crazy squeaking noise.. So when spring/summer time comes around it's time to upgrade again.. Now I was wondering of upgrading to steeda's x2 kit and heard that it could drop the car another 1/2".. how does that happen?

Plus, I was thinking about their bumpsteer kit to go along with it.. What all does it do for me..
And while I was at it, i decided on getting some MM 4-bolt c/c plates..

Now on a scale of 1-10 how hard is everything to install.. and any detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated..

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the 03/04 Cobra front A arms with balljoints installed for 137.50 from John Bleakley Ford online. They are for lowered stangs and improve turning radius...much cheaper then the Steeda stuff.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
to change out the ball joints are a PITA, you have to use a special C-Clamp and a torch to get it out, and they recommend using air tools...i bought the C-clamp because mine went out on my last mustang, but i got lucky and the car got flooded and totalled so i didnt have to worry about it.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I went with the 03/04 Cobra front A arms with balljoints installed for 137.50 from John Bleakley Ford online. They are for lowered stangs and improve turning radius...much cheaper then the Steeda stuff.

That what im going with, I was going to get steeda X2 but there a bitch to install like said so im just going to get the new cobra A arms.

Bob how are they better for lowered cars? Think my MM coil-overs will still be fine with them?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
DropTopPony said:

That what im going with, I was going to get steeda X2 but there a bitch to install like said so im just going to get the new cobra A arms.

Bob how are they better for lowered cars? Think my MM coil-overs will still be fine with them?

no, the coil-overs wont work...send them to me. :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
DropTopPony said:

The design of the arm and the ball joints are different then the GT and designed to work with a lowered stance...the 03 Cobra springs are like .75 inch shorter then GT i believe. I talked with a guy at Ford Racing before i bought these and thats what he told me...then a few guys on Corral backed him up. The steering is much improved after installing these.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
The design of the arm and the ball joints are different then the GT and designed to work with a lowered stance...the 03 Cobra springs are like .75 inch shorter then GT i believe. I talked with a guy at Ford Racing before i bought these and thats what he told me...then a few guys on Corral backed him up. The steering is much improved after installing these.

so will the springs i have now work with the cobra arms?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah the spring perches are in the same location as stock. They are not vastly different, they just have slight changes in the design to improve steering geometry and better ball joints.

OP
OP
gt96stang

gt96stang

Reaction score
I'll have to look into them as an alternative then..

But people just keep on posting all info you got..

Armydad

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be using the same parts. Basically the x2 ball joint does not drop the vehicle, it is used for dropped vehicles. What it does is raise the spindle back up to where is should be and brings your roll center back in line.If you look at the shaft of the balljoint compared to a normal balljount you can see the height diff.

The ford racing Cobra front control arms that drotop was talking about , has a slight frontward offset. This help increase caster. They are also beefier and reduce flex. I will be adding these puppies as well.

The bumpsteer kit adjusts the tierods on a lowered vehicle so they are approx horizontal again, they usually point up on a lowered car.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maximum Motorsports comes with great instructions!

as far as the drop, maybe they're offset a bit. the pivot is the same hieght, so it must swoop down a bit.

The hardest part is getting the springs in and out. if you can do that the rest is easy, just bolt in.
CC plates arn't too bad, you just have to shim them according to which struts you have. MM instructions are good on that.
On the bumpsteer measure it out where the stockers sit, then put the new one's on the same spot.
You'll also want an alignment after it's all together.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i thought with the balljoints that you could choose whether you want a 1/2 drop or not by using a spacer or not

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Im getting the cobra a-arms when I get home but I also want to replace my tie-rod ends, since I think they might be squeaking, should I get aftermarket or just stockers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online