Y'all ever had a leaking lower intake gasket? How'd it act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I think my lower intake gasket is leaking. Water will puddle on top of the water pump but I'm not really noticing any coolant loss in the radiator. On cold starts it'll stumble and when I'm cruising around I have to keep it reved up higher for it not to "buck n chug". For example, I used to be able to cruise in 5th around 50 mph or so (3.73 gear) but now I have to be in 4th. Just about every sensor has been replaced, I think the distributor is just about the only thing that's oem. Any ideas fellas? Also I took it in for a smoke test to check for vac leaks. I wasn't there but they said they didn't find any. If there's coolant coming out of the lower wouldn't that be a vac leak?

5.0l cory

Reaction score
When i put on my new intake i didn't see the back gasket seal right i had a hi idle and oil leaking out the back and all underneath the car

cameron57

Reaction score
If you have a intake leak you should have water in your oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

cameron57

Reaction score
What makes you think you have a blown intake gasket

cameron57

Reaction score
Take picture of where water is puddling.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are we talking about a head gasket or the upper/lower gasket? How would that cause water to pool? Does it idle ok or just drivablity is effected?

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
are we talking about a head gasket or the upper/lower gasket? How would that cause water to pool? Does it idle ok or just drivablity is effected?

Talking about the lower intake gasket that's between the heads and the manifold. Not the gasket that is between the upper and lower. It idles but not as smooth as it once did. On cold starts it'll stumble a sec and then recover. I'm pretty sure it's not a head gasket, it's not running near that bad and the intake was off and put back on (a few years ago) and never re-torqued.
aa8ddaf3fd5b6fc64b239c47be2bbcc8.jpg

I think the gasket on the bottom right of the diagram is leaking.

That's all I have to say about that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk.

If I remember correctly the bolt that mounts the lower to the block right next to the dist goes into the coolant passage below it. If I am not mistaken it is recommended to put a dab of RTV on the bottom of the bolt to help it seal and it might be possible that is leaking from there.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm betting on a leaking water pump gasket or the hose for the heater.
Easy enough to find out. Clean and dry area. Rent/ borrow a radiator pressure tester from the local parts house (auto zone, advance, o'reilley, ect).
Connect hand pump to radiator, pressurize to recomended pressure, watch for leaks. A telescoping mirror and flash light will help greatly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online