Yay for bad syncros!!!

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well I knew it was bound to happen eventually. The car has 150,706 on it, with 8 or 9 different owners (myself included). Driving to work today I noticed it was grinding going into 4th. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe I had dropped into 4th before getting the clutch totally engaged. So I left for lunch break, and it did the same thing. This time I had a feeling that I knew what was wrong. So I started dropping back into 3rd, then shifted back into 4th. Same thing, grinding. Then I popped in the clutch and went from 3rd to 4th (while rolling at about 45mph), and every single time, it grinded. I knew what the issue was right then and there but I continued to test different situations to rule other things out. While still rolling with the clutch popped in, I went from neutral to 4th. No problems. Then back to 3rd to 4th, grinding. Slow from 3rd to 4th, fairly easy.

I sent a message to my buddy who's been doing transmissions for probably longer than I've been alive and he confirmed it, bad syncros. I also told him about the other issues I have, where going into 5th it grinds every single time, and how I get locked out of reverse unless I go 1st - 5th - R. And even then it's not a guarantee thing. And also how it gets stuck IN reverse if you come to a stop. He told me something about the forks in it and.. Well I don't really remember lol but it was a bunch of transmission terms that I'd heard before.

Anyways he gave me a quick quote of about $650-700 to do a rebuild on it based off the info I had given him. That's of course dependent on what all is wrong with it. When I get some cash saved up I'll give him a call and we can go over everything and get an exact figure. He also told me I can opt to have the input shaft upgraded to handle mo powa so I can stay on this trans until I decide if I want to go auto or not. He's an incredibly intelligent individual with more knowledge and experience with these transmissions than anyone I know. He's also the only guy I know who has repaired t45source transmissions, but I won't get into that.

Now here's where the fun and games begin....... Do I pay the money and have the t45 rebuilt? Or do I dig deeper into the pockets of broke-ass-ness and t56 swap? He warned me that buying a used transmission is one of the worst things you could do because you simply do not know the condition of the transmission. But he gave me a used quote of anywhere from $1200-2000 respectably for a used t56, bell housing, and drive shaft. He also told me I'm looking at about $2400-3000 for a new t56. WHAT DO I DO? I love the t56, driven a few t56 cobra's, but I don't know if I want a manual or auto down the road so.... But the added gear in the t56 would be nice for highway cruising. I know my buddy's terminator cruises right around 2k, just slightly above maybe, at 80mph on 3.55's. You just can't beat that. What are some opinions here? It turned into a straight shit throwing fest on MMM Tech earlier...

RichV

Reaction score
I would either get it rebuilt, good price IMO.

Or just do the auto that you want. No sense in a T56 with all the $ involved if you're gonna ditch it anyway.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMO It depends on how deep your pockets are or how long can you stand not driving the car.
If it were me, (I have shallow pockets and I love driving my mustang) I would get the rebuild.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
T56 is wicked and if you can fit the bill , do it but that t45 rebuilt will do you fine. $700 is a bit pricey for a stock rebuild especially to one, that more than likely doesnt know the flaws of the tranny bulid. Im not saying your bud isnt able but Alot of small polishing and improvement techniques can just about bullet proof the tranny if he is experienced.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sold on the auto honestly. I know it's super effective on a turbo setup, but I can't guarantee I'll enjoy it. But I think I'm going to end up doing it. I'll probably just opt for a basic rebuild that way I can run nitrous until I get everything else ready for the turbo build.

My pockets aren't very deep, at all. And the longer I go without driving a mustang, the crazier I get wanting to drive one. I'm a v8 mustang fanatic to the bone and having daily driven mine for over 2yrs I can't see driving a boring car everyday. That's why my secret plan is either to buy a new 5.0 or find a nice shell and build a racecar (more or less street car, but you know the terminology. Because racecar) out of it. That way I can have a daily v8 mustang while building another. That is a decent price tho....

I think the $700 is an over estimation, and with an upgraded input shaft. And he's been building these transmissions longer than I've been alive, most likely. He has access to parts that only a few have access to, and all of our local big hp manual guys go to him for their rebuild. He's the best of the best. I'd love a 56 but I'm just not sure I can swing it at the moment, and not knowing what transmission I want to run in my racecar means I shouldn't get one right now. I have a 4r that I got for a song and dance so right now I'm leaning towards auto w/manual valve body. We'll see how long I keep this idea.....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The upgrade imput shaft and an aftermarket 3rd/4th shift fork will benefit greatly but there are a few shifting components that need love with simple tools. Actually the entire tranny can be rebuilt with a few low budget tools within a weekend and since youre a car builder, these trannys are a walk in the part, so dont rule out the t-45 because you have axeity of rebuilding yourself. I have to agree with the auto but keep in mind I see sub 10 second times with standard trannys all the time. Maybe not the t45's but I also agree with keeping the ride fun!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Rebuild the trans Joey. You'll regret going auto trust me. Sure its the fastest way, but theres no fun in letting the car shift for you now is there? Nope. Just think about it, give up stick and go with an auto, or rebuild the T45 and keep bangin gears.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Buy the t-56 and give me a killer deal on the setup if you swap to auto down the road lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.