Yellow label Motorcraft coil packs any good?

Reaction score
Dropping a cylinder at low RPM under load. Plugs are only 1-1/2 years old with maybe 5,000miles - I don’t drive this car very often. All the boots were pretty well shot so I replaced them - no change. I’ve read that coils rarely go bad but I’m pretty sure I’m in that “rarely” percentage. I can’t find replacement coils with this same yellow label - I feel like these are not OEM. Thoughts? Recommendations?

9F688911-157C-4304-BC0E-9F072DB7E50E.jpeg

Werecow

Reaction score
I normally would have said something along the lines of MSD blaster coils, but from what I've heard on here there's been a lot of China made crap come down the line from them lately. But from what I can glean, the Pertronix Flame-thrower coils are the ones that have been getting the better reviews.. Like I said tho I would normally have gone with MSD blaster coils but as of right now IDK...

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I had a new set of motor craft coils 3 out of 8 craped out on me on my mach 1
I switched to the accel coils and still running them today , had them for 12 years

TrickVert

Reaction score
Dropping a cylinder at low RPM under load. Plugs are only 1-1/2 years old with maybe 5,000miles - I don’t drive this car very often. All the boots were pretty well shot so I replaced them - no change. I’ve read that coils rarely go bad but I’m pretty sure I’m in that “rarely” percentage. I can’t find replacement coils with this same yellow label - I feel like these are not OEM. Thoughts? Recommendations?
What have you been reading? ;) Coil failure is typically not a matter of "if," but "when." Over the last 15+ years, I've had three Fords with these coils, and all have had failures, albeit all were over 100K when it happened. OEM is always best for these parts, but I've heard decent things about the Accel units, too.

Fast Lane

Reaction score
Be careful of what you read on the internet. I’ve read to only buy Ford. Well after buy Ford coils and having them die I bought no name ones of Amazon. They claim 15 percent more energy. No idea if that’s true but they run great in the car. I’ve been running them all summer. They look identical to my friends Accel coils. Probably made in the same Chinese factory.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Op those are oe coils, I’ve had a few Fords with yellow tops like that. And as far as failures go they can last a long time as long as the plugs are changed regularly.

On a side note, on another mustang forum a member tested a few coils on a rig he made. He concluded that most are identical and probably come from the same factory. And for what it’s worth world products (I think is the name) is the oem supplier for coils.

On another side note, I’ve ran ebay no name coils before with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe65

Reaction score
I've had really good luck on Audis I've had with Denso COPs. So yes I agree you don't have to buy Ford to get something that works well.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ford's early COPs had issues to the point that a lot of the high-power boys started swapping to the coil packs+wires to eliminate them.

As mentioned in this thread by evilcw, stay away from MSD's coils (and coil packs). Looks like RAU03MACH has had good luck with accel; maybe try those.

A brand new OEM (genuine FoMoCo part) would probably be a product of quality by now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online