2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Swapped in a 1999 Cobra cluster.

I did it the not-so-common way and used ForScan to pair the IC module to the ECU and then mate the PATS keys to the cluster. WOrked perfectly. I assume the speedometer will read 100% correct, however the mileage is off.

My car has 70K miles, this cluster has 65K. Yeah it's close but I don't want to much around with mileage issues on a 70K mile car I may sell one day. Unless i can find a solution to this, i'll likely just do the board swap method. This will keep the mileage the same, but the speedo will be off slightly since the GT is a 150MPH speedo ad cobra is 160MPH. It's not a speedo gear calibration issue, it's a display issue. The odometer is right but the board things its sweeping a needle on a 150MPH face.
IMG_9370.jpeg

Just want to verify the speedo is dead on and then i;ll board swap to get my mileage correct.

But I love this look
IMG_9368.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Pulled a hard vacuum. Refilled with nitrogen and then another hard vacuum and recharged the AC. Held the N2 pretty well so I think I got all the leaks.

IMG_9455.jpeg

Not much left to do. Have some issues with the convertible top motor. I’ve topped it off a few times and it struggles to lift the top at times. If I stop the top halfway and leave it it slowly returns down. It’s 50/50 on cylinders or motor and based on what I’m seeing I’m going motor firsts

Alignment, tint, done. Sell it. Buy a Cobra (just kidding…for now)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So this car has always had a stinky exhaust. Not rich, but dawned on me that it may be lean.

So I plugged in my data tool and decided to look at the O2s and sure as hell they register as lean. The voltages swing down to near 0 frequently indicating it’s trying to add fuel.

Quick Look at fuel trims and it’s definitely adding fuel.

IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9496.jpeg

Both banks go lean frequently, so probably a vac leak somewhere. Of course I loaned out my smoke tester to a friend. Grr.

Also traced an accessory whine to an aftermarket tensioner on the car. Ordered up a new Motorcraft tensioner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Replaced all 4 O2 sensors about a week or so. Seems to help a lot with the smell. Very noticeable immediately. Never had codes at all for O2s prior.

Also taking care of minor odds and ends. Fuel filler grommet pretty much fell apart. I knew it was bad so had been keeping the tank to 1/4 tank or less. Fortunately not much spillage.

1715783331879.png
1715783360119.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Finally got the car aligned.

Got to cruise on the highway. What i noticed is that there is a decent amount of slop in the steering. Going straight, I have about an hour of play wiggling side to side before the car responds. Going to have to dig into this because it's annoying.

Control arms are new. Inner and outer tie rods are new. Balljoints new, new poly rack bushings. Those parts are all tight. It's either something in the steering shaft, or the rack itself. I'll have to dig into this now.

Can handles great and feels tight, it just feels loose when i go the other way on the steering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online

No members online now.