Its official the 2valve pi manifold has ceased production.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Didn't realize you'd joined here. Man, I swear you're on every forum I peruse. :D

Welcome!

Thanks!

I bought myself an 2000 GT last month. All my usual forums seem to be Foxbody heavy so I had to branch out to find some SN95 forums!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks!

I bought myself an 2000 GT last month. All my usual forums seem to be Foxbody heavy so I had to branch out to find some SN95 forums!

You picked the right place. Even though we’re a niche forum, we’re quite active here and have a great group of helpful members.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Got my PI intake. Showed up fast. Some subtle differences but just glad to get my hands on a new one.
IMG_4979.jpeg

I did pick up a used PI intake that showed up today. It’s actually fairly clean and no signs of cracking around the coolant ports. Going to squirrel that away as a backup

Reaction score
Well I was looking and saw I can get classic car plates in 2027 for my GT so not surprised some things will be hard to find in the future. Hopefully another company will use this design and we can get these for the future.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well I was looking and saw I can get classic car plates in 2027 for my GT so not surprised some things will be hard to find in the future. Hopefully another company will use this design and we can get these for the future.
this is the only manufacturer that uses the special process to produce a 1piece plastic manifold this large and the machine used is on its way out the door do to costs associated with the process. I believe ford is making a bad move to not keep production going. They should just carry the cost over to the consumer. If the production runs could be cheaper, ford probably keep production on it, but i think minimum production is something like 3000pc. I think a manifold costs something like $100ea to produce. After sitting idle for months, currently a mass production of the ls intake is taking place and after it finishes out they plan to rid the machine.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’d imagine once the word gets out there’s going to be a ton of used PI intakes on eBay for $500+ with cracks arohnd the coolant ports already showing.

Right now, most on social media refuse to believe it’s discontinued and just think it’s backordered and will be coming back.

Where are the machines going? Scrapped?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The machine is a monster! Bismuth steel is used as the negative for plastic to be injected over and then melted out. So that means 2 mold process are involved. One for the bismuth negative and one for the bismuth negative to sit in and plastic to be injected over. Then its dipped into an electricity tank of a special solution that melts out the bismuth negative and the intake at this point is something north of 200pounds. Robots do all the handling. Its a monster of a machine that requires a dedicated team of experienced employees to operate.

It was the plastic 4.6l manifolds, npi and pi, that put this company on the map. Literally millions of manifolds were produce from 2 machines and this machine is the remaining one.

The reason why the plastic aftermarket replacement intake are terrible for performance is the runners dont have the same space and not the same shape. Mostly space due the the manifolds being 2 or 3 components the sonic welded together. This one piece plastic save all the necessary space for proper tooling needed to weld the multiple components together.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i believe you could use any of them
c is the better ones i got mine off a mach 1 engine
at first i thought it was a pretty tough task
then i started looking at all connections fuel ,electric, vacuum
it really is not bad doing it
locating some key parts will be the task
if you look on what did you do to your car today
somewhere is a break down on the parts and lay out
as i was building the engine

ctandc

Reaction score
The link I had to the Ford Dealer selling the new OEM Mustang intakes - of course they sold out, looks like right after I posted in this thread. They sold over 300 of them. Guess I'll have to hit up the local Pick a part and grab a couple Lincoln / Merc versions to keep around.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Still a few more Panther chassis Manifolds on ebay if you search this part number. Most of the listings show very few remaining.

9W7Z-9424-A

As you would expect, price is creeping up. I see one on there for $900 plus shipping

ctandc

Reaction score
Still a few more Panther chassis Manifolds on ebay if you search this part number. Most of the listings show very few remaining.

9W7Z-9424-A

As you would expect, price is creeping up. I see one on there for $900 plus shipping
Part of me hopes that prices get so high and new ones disappear, if I ever get into that position I can convince myself to just supercharge the 4.6 LOL

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of folks scooping these up are hoarding them with plans to list them for sale in a few months at some ridiculously high price. Same thing happened a few months ago with the GT500 blowers that Ford mistakenly sold for $300-500 or so.

The situation overall is a little bit frustrating if you just spent a lot of money for some simple bolt-ons for your PI GT only to have that negated because you have no choice but to replace a leaking manifold with a Dorman unit. Wish there was a method to repair the cracked are on the PI manifold....

Just means we need to just do this :)

Last edited:

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I just sold a brand new ford PI intake in the box earlier this year for 200. Shouldve held onto it I guess. I still have one good one but its one that I used for a few years :( breaks my heart that the 2v support is gonna go the way of discontinued very soon. I expect ANY a/m intakes aside from dorman and the TFS heads won't be around much longer either. We're losing our aftermarket support quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online