Mass carpet - worth it?

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Since I'm going to be getting new used seats soon, it's time to replace the carpet in my '96 convertible. I looked up posts about the mass backed carpet but never really got a satisfying answer to the question if it's actually worth the $60 price difference. Does anyone here have the mass installed, and do you think it's worth the extra $$$?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've read on other forums that it's totally worth it in a street car. In a drag-car you dont want the excess weight.

I believe Paul may have put it in. or maybe Dalamar. but i cant remember. Havent seen it on our forum but the one time and i cant remember who put it in.

ster302

Reaction score
I put it in my car and it is a bit heavier but I haven't driven it yet for sound. All I know is it was fun to make fit, it's still not perfect. It's really stiff so if its not contoured right it looks lumpy in spots.

OP
OP
krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Hum, maybe wrestling with the extra weight to get it in and molded to the floor might be a bit much for me. Gal upper body strength is such a weakness. :angry7:

I really don't want to have to pay someone to put carpet in so maybe I should go with the basic.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only complaint about it is if it get wet its hard too dry and can get moldy. If you are willing too do the work get some luxery liner pro from second skin and use that instead. Then you can get unbacked carpet and glue it on top and looks the same, is quieter and will hold up better to mold.

OP
OP
krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Ha, just starting wondering how much difference it will make for a convertible anyways.

ster302

Reaction score
I put thermo-tec cool-it mat down under my mass backed carpet, That probably didn't help my interior fitment issues either. As far as install goes, I did like the mat, they make one for sound and one for heat resistance so you could Just put that down by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online