New Black Paint Job

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Okay here's the dealio. Eventually when I have the $$ I'd like to get my 95 repainted. It's black now and I wanted to change the color but it's going to cost way too much to get it done the right way. So I decided to stay with black. Right now if the car's clean it looks good. But.. It's got a ton of scratches, bumpers are pretty much shot and the clear coats fading and paints peeling underneath the headlights. Sideskirts have fading paint, roof and hood are decent, fenders are okay. But honestly it could use a fresh paint job. Now my dilemma is. I don't want the same black the car came with. I don't want matte or flat so they're out. What's a black that'll really pop, maybe with flakes in it idk? Is there any paint that is harder to scratch than normal?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Would toy around with two tone possibly, I want mostly black though so I won't have to change the registration and everything with the DMV.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
S5030098.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
is tuxedy black a specific color that comes on a car? I want to do mine in black also, but a better black then stock for sure.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
throw some silver pearl in your factory black color. door jams will never show unless they are in direct sun. heres a photoshop of the black i would like to 2-tone

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
is tuxedy black a specific color that comes on a car? I want to do mine in black also, but a better black then stock for sure.

Tuxedo Blacks a ford color. Might even be whats on 94-98 Stangs idk I'll look it up lol

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
throw some silver pearl in your factory black color. door jams will never show unless they are in direct sun. heres a photoshop of the black i would like to 2-tone

Omg dude just when I thought your car couldn't get any sicker.. I think some ghost flames would be pretty sick, maybe green ghost flames :) Paint my calipers green too and bam..

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
lol, i painted my 88 s10 black with silver pearl in the clear. dude its the sexiest black i've ever seen. i never liked colored metalflake.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
How does silver pearl with the black work? Obv sand the car, smooth it out, primer, black, clear, then silver pearl, then clear again?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay here's the dealio. Eventually when I have the $$ I'd like to get my 95 repainted. It's black now and I wanted to change the color but it's going to cost way too much to get it done the right way. So I decided to stay with black. Right now if the car's clean it looks good. But.. It's got a ton of scratches, bumpers are pretty much shot and the clear coats fading and paints peeling underneath the headlights. Sideskirts have fading paint, roof and hood are decent, fenders are okay. But honestly it could use a fresh paint job. Now my dilemma is. I don't want the same black the car came with. I don't want matte or flat so they're out. What's a black that'll really pop, maybe with flakes in it idk? Is there any paint that is harder to scratch than normal?

waterborne paint is much more durable than urethane..this doesn't help much with scratches but it helps with rock chips (*cough* front bumper cover)..it's the way to go with paint - easy to spray..easy to match (comes in handy if you ever get a new part that needs paint or get into an accident)..and more durable......waterborne does cost a little more tho..don't get me wrong though there's nothing wrong with urethane at all..there's still more shops that spray urethane than water but it's the future in paint

UA code is what i'm assuming your car is right now which is a nice black..just straight black..if you're looking for your paint to look more "show car-ish" then you can tell the shop you want a nice flat finish..they'll flatten out the clear coat orange peel and it'll look twice as nice as the black sn95 next to you with the same color

personally black should be black..i don't know why car manufactures even put metallic or pearl in black........if you're really wanting some flake you can just tell the painter what color flake you want (or however many you want) and they can throw it in with the UA code they would mix up.......red..blue..white..silver..pink..whatever

Would toy around with two tone possibly, I want mostly black though so I won't have to change the registration and everything with the DMV.

problem here is that would basically put you in "color change" price category since they'd have to do the trunk and door jambs

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
How does silver pearl with the black work? Obv sand the car, smooth it out, primer, black, clear, then silver pearl, then clear again?
i think it's a custom mixed clear with metalic flecks in it. correct me if i'm wrong [MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION]

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
they just add the pearl to the clear. its like a powder. then when its added to the clear it pops against black. a decent painter would know how to lay it. prolly needs to know how to keep it from clouding and streaking. sick look when done right though

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

no..a 3 stage pearl paint would be basecoat/pearl/clear and that's not what you'd want with money saving in mind

the pearl (metallic) would be mixed in with the color

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
the pearl can be added to clear (what my painter always did as long as the flake is small) or an intercoat. good look though dude! ^^thats fn nasty btw, lol! dam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online